running and adenomyosis

Options
Hi MFP-er's,

I've recently been diagnosed with adenomyosis (and likely endometriosis too but I haven't had the laprascopy to confirm).

I'm a distance runner.

The conundrum is this: the pressure of the adeno is quite uncomfortable many days, and I can't find a lick of evidence one way or another if high-impact sports help or hurt. I mostly just play it by ear and if I don't feel up to it, I don't push it. Generally speaking exercise makes everything better, but it really does feel like my plumbing is falling out sometimes (you know that tearing, stabbing feeling) and I don't want to exacerbate this any more than I have to.

Further, I can't find any research to support different lifestyle choices that may help control the symptoms.

I'm currently on the birth control Amethia so that I only have a period once every four months, but we all know that it still hurts throughout the cycle, and moodiness and sleeplessness is just part of it. My prescription pain killer is Tramadol and I take that with 800 mg ibropfen, per my doctor's instructions.

So, that's the background. My question for others with the same diagnosis is, how do you control your symptoms? How does exercise (running in particular) work for you? Is there a link between gluten, dairy, alcohol, whatever that may help stabilize hormones?

On one hand, I'm glad it's not "just a bad period" but on the other hand it's so discouraging to be told that I'm just going to be in pain until menopause. I'd really love to find some lifestyle tips to help cope.

I know this is kind of a long post, but I certainly appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks, y'all!
Shannon

Replies

• Chartroom
    Chartroom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Shannon,
    I have the same condition and I love to run. I just ran a 10K and my pain was unbearable. About two or three times a year it is really painful. wondering if diet may help?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer with either of those conditions, (I do run though) but I wonder if a hysterectomy would be a practical solution?

I can't imagine running with intense uterine pain.

Good luck! Hope someone chimes in that offers hope and help.