calorie estimate...you best guess

Options
sorry...I know this is a little difficult to answer, but I was hoping to get some feedback. I frequent a restaurant often. I always get an omelet made with egg whites, and some veggies. no cheese, meat, toast, etc. obviously, I know the omelet is prepared with oil. but it is hard for me to tell exactly how much because the veggies are sort of liquidy (spinach/tomato/peppers). I am guessing between 3-4 egg whites are used (not a huge omelet). egg whites have approximately 17 calories a piece...any guesses on the oil (from your own cooking or dining out experiences)?

Replies

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If you frequent the restaurant, they should know you by now. You should feel comfortable asking the waitress or chef the specifics. They are usually happy to let you know.
    If you can ask them, why guess?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I find the "average" omelet to be around 500 calories. If it's egg whites, then it's probably around 250-300. Restaurants have a tendency to use a lot of oil.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You should ask the cook you make the omelet for you.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    thank you, both. yes, I have thought about asking...but I just don't feel good about asking. I sort of feel like a nag about asking them how much oil they use. I know I shouldn't, but if I choose to eat there, there are some things I feel I can't dictate. yes, I can ask for egg whites and no toast, etc...but to ask the eggs be cooked in limited oil seems like I am over stepping.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    thank you, both. yes, I have thought about asking...but I just don't feel good about asking. I sort of feel like a nag about asking them how much oil they use. I know I shouldn't, but if I choose to eat there, there are some things I feel I can't dictate. yes, I can ask for egg whites and no toast, etc...but to ask the eggs be cooked in limited oil seems like I am over stepping.
    If I'm a paying customer, I have the right to ask/request. Not obnoxiously mind you, be polite, but you have a mouth, so use it.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    4 egg whites = around 100 calories
    Vegetables probably average around less than 15 calories, or 15 - 20 depending on how big the omelet is.
    Oil = probably 120-150 calories, and thereby throwing "low calorie" out the window ;)

I'd say you'd probably be safe as tracking it at 300 calories. That may be over-estimating a tad but that's better than assuming it's low and overindulging.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

I do not have any problems respectfully asking for my meal to be prepared a certain way. Customers ask for burgers and steaks to be prepared a certain way. They ask for dressing to be place next to and not on the salad. Some ask for crab cakes to be broil and not fried. Vegetarians ask for meals to be made meatless. All you will ask is to lighten up on the oil. Nope, not over stepping at all!
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    I did start asking that my omelet be made with minimal oil as possible with the understanding some oil would be necessary. I feel it is less oily...I don't know the calorie content, but 250 seems like a good guess for 4 egg whites, minimal veggies and oil used.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I worked for a Huddle House for a while and I can tell you there will be a difference in the amount of oil used in a flat grilled omelet and a flipped omelet done like eggs over medium.
    1st the veggies- usually a scoop 2ozs usually put on those unless requested otherwise in this case likely ignorable
    2nd the flat grilled omelet- usually 1 2oz scoop with the egg mixture poured right in it cooking spray is an allowed replacement
    3rd the flipped omelet- depending on who is cooking, size, and oil requests this is anywhere from 1.5-4 2 oz scoops and cooking spray used to make up the difference.

So there is a lot of room for lee way with this. And this was just in the one I worked for I'm not sure about exact sizing for others. But don't be worried about asking for changes in the way food is cooked, at least you aren't the kid forgetting about the peanut allergy until after the food is cooked.
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    I worked for a Huddle House for a while and I can tell you there will be a difference in the amount of oil used in a flat grilled omelet and a flipped omelet done like eggs over medium.
    1st the veggies- usually a scoop 2ozs usually put on those unless requested otherwise in this case likely ignorable
    2nd the flat grilled omelet- usually 1 2oz scoop with the egg mixture poured right in it cooking spray is an allowed replacement
    3rd the flipped omelet- depending on who is cooking, size, and oil requests this is anywhere from 1.5-4 2 oz scoops and cooking spray used to make up the difference.

So there is a lot of room for lee way with this. And this was just in the one I worked for I'm not sure about exact sizing for others. But don't be worried about asking for changes in the way food is cooked, at least you aren't the kid forgetting about the peanut allergy until after the food is cooked.

yeah, I have considered the veggies are cooked in oil as well. at this point...me stressing minimum oil either has to be enough for me or I just choose not to eat there anymore.
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    okay sorry for beating a dead horse...but I just went on to the perkins website (not the restaurant I go to...but they do offer a nutritional calculator). I selected an omelet with spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes. There are 3 large eggs used (no where to substitute egg whites) and the calories content said 225. Well, I know better. 225 calories is what would be in the eggs alone...so apparently, they don't account for any oil they use...and you know they use it!