calories burned when strength training/weights

Options
ok, I'm sure it's been asked already... how do I know how many calories I burned when strength training? MFP doesn't provide this when tracking calories. so if someone can direct me to where I can find the answers it would be much appreciated. TIA :) happy friday!!!

Replies

• SweatinSammie
    Options
    If you search for strength training under the aerobics section (I think that's what it is called - the first choice), it will come up and you can add it as a calorie burn.
  • Pedro_Infante
    Pedro_Infante Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi Leo,

Look under help link. FAQ's will have the answer for you. Lifting is subjective so it's difficult to calculate. If your serious about monitoring calorie burn while pounding the plates I suggest a heart rate monitor.

Pete
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Log it under "cardio", instead of the strength training section...it will have the estimate of calories, there.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Hi Leo,

Look under help link. FAQ's will have the answer for you. Lifting is subjective so it's difficult to calculate. If your serious about monitoring calorie burn while pounding the plates I suggest a heart rate monitor.

Pete

Except that won't work. HRM is useless for non-cardio related activities. You're right about it being subjective but a HRM won't work. Strength training I would just go by an RPE (Rated Perceived Exertion) scale from 1-10. Strength training works away from the actual exercise not during, it works during the down time that's why rest is so important with strength training.
  • fairyleo
    fairyleo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thanks for your help guys! I did go under cardio, browse all, and it gave me an estimate for strength training. I kind of underestimated the time i actually did workout, but that works for now. :)