Feeling like my daily burn is too high

Options
According to my fitcore, without actual exercise (besides normal walking around), I'm burning on average 2200-2400 calories per day. I've been tired a lot lately, but about a month ago I moved into a home with 3 levels. On days where I do my StrongLifts training, I'm burning around 2700-2800 cal. The last time I burned around this amount was when I was in Colorado (no exercise, burned 2800) and did a high altitude HIIT jump rope workout (burned 3100).

I am 5'0"/163 with an Arrhythmia also. Maybe that has something to do with the higher burn? I've been doing SL for about a month, and feel heavier than I ever have, possibly due to increased muscle? I have no clue!!

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I would look at your goals and let that decide if your calorie burn is too high.

If you are trying to lose weight then burning a lot of calories can be a good thing. It'll give you more freedom to enjoy the higher calories foods and the sweets and treats you love. Now if your trying to gain muscle mass burning too many calories can become a chore. In order to have muscle mass gains you need to eat at a surplus, so the more cardio type workouts you do the more you have to eat. It might not be as fun to eat over 3,000 calories per day just to meet your goals.

If you feel you are burning too many calories consider slowing down on the cardio type workouts a tad. If you are tired of eating to fill those calories consider higher calorie foods.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    This estimates your sedentary burn at 1591.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

2200-2800 is a lot of activity, from there... 600-1200 calories a day of exercise. Most of us don't do anywhere near that amount, stairs or not.

Does your Body Media device have your correct stats input? I don't think your arrythmia would affect it.
  • kokorae
    kokorae Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    WalkingAlong - I also was just on the IIFYM website calculating my TDEE and came up with the same # you did. I double checked my Bodymedia settings and they are correct. According to the IIFYM website, I'm burning the same as a person who works out every day AND has a physical job. I have a desk one and work out max 3 times per wk. Stairs in my house are steep, but like you said, that many steps shouldn't make that much of a difference. Just to reiterate, that since I moved into this new house, I've felt super tired/sluggish, no energy, and feel super heavy. If I am GENUINELY burning this many calories, maybe I need to eat more to offset this? Trying to drink more water too.

Martinel2099 - I haven't done cardio in about a month, since I loaded and unloaded the uhaul to move.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    soooo.....your device is telling you that you burn more than you thought...and you've started feeling much more sluggish than usual....so what's the question here exactly? i mean, based on the info given the solution seems like it would be to go ahead and increase your calories for a few weeks and track your progress and mood swings. sure, the device could be wrong...but how long are you willing to feel lethargic while you sort things out.

with or without a device the answer in this situation is typically:

1. eat more
    2. sleep more
    3. both
  • kokorae
    kokorae Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply DavPul. For about a week after I posted this, I started eating more, not really caring what I put in my mouth. I lost 2 lbs at the end of that week. Pretty much showed me I wasn't eating enough to offset my burn. Have felt a lot better since. Thank you so much for your input!
  • DavPul
    Options
    DE nada. There's a reason I was voted MFP's Most Helpful and Polite Member two years in a row.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    DE nada. There's a reason I was voted MFP's Most Helpful and Polite Member two years in a row.

It is worth noting that you cast the only vote.
  • DavPul
    Options
    A title is a title. And this one's MINE

#HATERZGONNAHATE
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    #FactsDontHate