Hummus vs. Mayo

Options
2»

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I like to mix hummus and greek yogurt as a sandwich spread. I'll sometimes also mix greek yogurt with mayo or with sandwich pal horseradish spread to cut the calories without cutting the creaminess.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    different mustards. for years i was turned off by mustard, bc i was thinking yellow mustard... so wrong!

but really, spend some time in the condiment isle at the grocery store. and it isn't just for sandwiches. think a creamy mustard with salmon and steamed veggies!!
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    Hummus must be a 'healthier' food than mayonnaise because of all the chickpeas and sesame seeds - protein and fibre. Mayo is just eggs, isn't it?
  • sinkingthinking
    sinkingthinking Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of hummus. I especially like it with jacket potatoes. I buy the different flavoured ones, like pea and mint or red pepper, for variety. However it can contain a lot of polyunsaturates (and not omega 3, which is the only polunsaturate Westerners don't get enough of, but the kind from vegetable oil and most sunflower oil, that is in a lot of processed food and promotes inflammation which in turn promotes a variety of mental disorders). If you're trying to lose weight, or like me care about reducing inflammation, it's better to get the reduced fat versions. I find them just as nice.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use avocado (expensive!!) as a substitute to mayo these days,I never even thought about using hummus. I shall have to try it now,thanks!:drinker:
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Love hummas use light mayo also avacado
  • Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Options
    It depends on what I make. Turkey sammie--gotta have a little olive oil mayo or smashed avocado. Ham sammie--I go with mustard. Veggie sammies--garlic lover's hummus. If I crave deviled eggs I stuff the egg whites with roasted red pepper hummus--yummo!
  • vincelaccro
    vincelaccro Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    switched to light mayo 1/2 fat with olive oil, solved the calorie problem... 50 calorie instead of 100 for a tablespoon

but hummus is great with veggies, never considered to put some on my sandwich, will definetely will try!!!
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use hummus on my wraps all the time, also dip some wheat thins in it as well. Still do some olive oil mayo now and then but hummus has become a staple for me.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    when I was in the Gulf, most places that sold shawarma put both hummus and garlic mayo in the wrap. If you're only going to have one of those with shawarma then hummus wins each time.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    - hummus with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and warmed pitta bread. Respectable amount of protein for a vegan meal and full of flavour.
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    @Neander: True that. Nothing beats shawarma & hummus. Too bad I'm cutting down on that stuff.

Hummus is healthy if you make it yourself, don't buy it from restaurants. Its super easy to make.
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of hummus. I especially like it with jacket potatoes. I buy the different flavoured ones, like pea and mint or red pepper, for variety. However it can contain a lot of polyunsaturates (and not omega 3, which is the only polunsaturate Westerners don't get enough of, but the kind from vegetable oil and most sunflower oil, that is in a lot of processed food and promotes inflammation which in turn promotes a variety of mental disorders). If you're trying to lose weight, or like me care about reducing inflammation, it's better to get the reduced fat versions. I find them just as nice.

I'm actually moving toward making my own, so it'll be up to me. I might even toss in a little flax seed and see how that goes.
  • Meorainthemaking
    Meorainthemaking Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I switched mayo for horseradish mustard on most things. The zing is comparable to mayo to me.
  • PapaChanoli
    Options
    Dang!

Made my first batch of homemade hummus, made with home made tahini.

Freakin' deeeelish!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Hummus must be a 'healthier' food than mayonnaise because of all the chickpeas and sesame seeds - protein and fibre. Mayo is just eggs, isn't it?

Mayo is mostly OIL. I make it with one egg yolk and 2/3 cup of oil and a few squeezes of lemon juice and a few splashes of vinegar.. a drop of mustard and salt and pepper.
  • Mary8812443132
    Options
    I really agree with you...Hummus is so yummy... I want to introduce some of type hummus
    Check this links: http://foodeaser.com/en/recipes/?s=hummus
  • PapaChanoli
    Options
    I would tend to think of hummus as a healthier alternative to mayo, but then I don't see mayo as a bad food, it's just super calorie dense and on some days I prefer to eat those calories elsewhere.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    For years, I've hated mayo's taste plain, and used it exclusively in tuna salad. Before I got married I used miracle whip for that, ( husband cannot stand miracle whip in a tuna Sammie).

Anyways, I tried a mayo called hellman's (best foods) with olive oil. Comes with a green lid. 60 calories per tablespoon, and tastes really nice. I use a little in tomato sandwiches now, the taste is very savory, but not like eggy/greasy.

So, it's not much lighter in calories than the regular blue cap, but tastes savory/awesome to me.

Hummus is a spread I use in wraps, not in tuna salad/chicken salad type stuff.