The Gastric Sleeve

Options
I am going through the hoops to get approved for the gastric sleeve. I am just waiting on paperwork to all be approved.
Does anyone have any motivational stories to share? I have read some old ones from a year or so ago. Anything new?
How are the ones who got a sleeve over a year ago doing? Any tips?
Thanks..... New to this all.....

Replies

• Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Don't have one or know anyone who does, just wanted to wish you good luck on your surgery.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hi Cheryl! I dont know anyone either, nor any stories. I wish you the best on your surgery and afterwards. Hope all goes well and hope this is the best option for you!!
  • cherylk
    cherylk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. Even though I have been reading and using the food journal here on MFP. This is the first time I have chatted.
    So thank you again for the kind words. I have had many many fails. This is my last chance. With this tool I WILL get to my goal weight and I WILL post a success story. :) (staying positive here! )
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. Even though I have been reading and using the food journal here on MFP. This is the first time I have chatted.

:flowerforyou:
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I don't have any personal experience but have two good friends who've had the surgery done. The husband had it done and lost 100 lbs in three months. The wife had it done a little later and is having issues with it. She says she's still hungry all the time but can't eat more than five or six bites at a time. She hasn't lost much weight and is hating that she had it done at all.

Not trying to convince you not to do it, but the results are not guaranteed..
  • cherylk
    cherylk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh yes everyone is different. So sorry to hear of your friend. Maybe it will turn around for her as she gets farther post surgical.
    I had the Lab Band and the Dr just took that out last month. So I am ready and I know what to expect. Its going to be hard, but so so worth it.
  • jancie84
    jancie84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Difference between lap band and gastric sleeve? How much did you lose with lap band?
  • LibertyBelle_75
    LibertyBelle_75 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had my VSG on 8/28/12 and that day forever changed my life! Best thing I have ever done for myself, hands down! You will do great! :)
  • MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My mom had the lap band and then the sleeve.

She lost weight alot more slowly once she got the sleeve done. She didn't really follow any diet so I am not surprised she didn't really lose anything more. She doesn't look as mal-nurished as she did with the band.

Wishing you lots of luck!! I am in the process of getting the sleeve as well. I am soo nervous that I won't be able to do it due to my addiction to food.
  • MariaLL1
    Options
    There's a show called "Fat Doctor" on Hulu which follows different people on each episode before and after going through the procedures. I'm not having it done, but I still find them and their stories very motivational.

Good luck :heart:
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just celebrated the two-year mark for my sleeve surgery. :) I'm holding pretty steady at around 180, give or take a couple of pounds. I went from a size 32 to size 12. I had absolutely NO complications. 180 was my ultimate goal. I think if I had my excess skin removed, I'd probably lose another 15-20 pounds. The good news is that the excess skin is basically from below the chest to above the knees, and, of course, my upper arms. I don't mind as it is easy to disguise.

I totally followed MY doctor's food plan, which seemed to be quite different from other doctors' plans.

I stayed overnight one night at the hospital. The day after my surgery, they started me on a clear liquid diet (apple juice and broth) for breakfast. For lunch, I was moved onto a full liquid diet (Ensure, tomato soup, pudding). Then I was sent home. I didn't have supper that night. My first full day at home (two days after surgery), I started on a soft diet that included protein shakes, pudding, cottage cheese, eggs, etc.

I *love* to exercise now. I primarily walk but I like following along with DVDs like Hip Hop Abs, Leslie Sansone, and Kettlenetics. (Those are my top three.)

By the way, I'm still limited to about a cup of food at a sitting. :) I don't really care for bread because it is too filling.
  • JenJen1979
    JenJen1979 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the steps now to have the sleeve done. I was approved for lap band and have since changed my mind, and believe the sleeve will be better for me. I want this weight off once and for all. Good luck to you!
  • SuddenlySlimmerSusan
    Options
    I am 9 months post-op with the sleeve. My highest weight was 367. I was 343 at my surgery last November, and I am currently at 222 and still losing. I haven't had any complications. The sleeve was the best decision I ever made. I went with a bariatric center of excellence here in the US which has excellent follow up care including free nutritionist appointments for life, and free monthly support groups. I have also been using my fitness pal since about 3 months post-op to log everything I eat and to make sure I am meeting my calorie, protein, and carbohydrate targets each day.