Running and gaining weight again. Why?

Options
I don't know what is going on. Last week, I decided to go on a little vacation to Colorado. I admit, I ate quite a bit there, but I only gained two pounds max, so my new weight was 172. After my trip, I got myself back at the gym, mainly doing 4-mile cardios. After a week back on the treadmill, I noticed I gained 4 pounds. I don't understand why. I have been making accurate measurements, eating around 1800 calories a day and working my butt off at the gym, but it's not going where I want it to be.

I am starting to give up hope. I thought I'm off the dreaded weight loss plateau, but it seems like I'm back at it, and it's coming back very quickly. Any advice will be very helpful. Thanks

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How are you making "accurate measurements"? What method are you using to determine calorie burns?

Running by itself will not cause weight loss. You are probably eating too much, and/or over-estimating calorie burns.
  • mtb0105
    mtb0105 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you're not weight training that could be why. Cardio alone won't help you as much as weight training (or ideally doing both). I prioritize in this way:

1) Diet
    2) Weight Training
    3) Cardio

Also, try using the Katch-Mcardle method for establishing the most accurate number of calories you should be consuming to meet your goal. You may be restricting your calorie intake too much.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If you're not weight training that could be why. Cardio alone won't help you as much as weight training (or ideally doing both). I prioritize in this way:

1) Diet
    2) Weight Training
    3) Cardio

Also, try using the Katch-Mcardle method for establishing the most accurate number of calories you should be consuming to meet your goal. You may be restricting your calorie intake too much.

Agreed. Once my trainer had me STOP running, that's when I saw the pounds come off. I focus on weight training, hit up a spin and zumba class a week, and then just spend anywhere from 10-30 minutes on the stair master after lifting. Running=overrated.