How did you overcome anxiety of running in public?

Options
It's always the same thing: I get ready to go for a run, I get out there, I start running...and then the anxiety hits me. I am scared people are looking at me or that I look stupid. Today I only made it ten minutes before I had to go home, as I usually run at night when it's less busy.

Any ideas on how to overcome this fear? I know no one is ACTUALLY paying attention to me, it's just hard to get over...

Replies

• Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have the same anxiety with the weight room. Only thing is.. I know people are looking at me. Only because I'm actually lifting and not flying through my workout like everyone else. Not being mean.. But I guess the best thing we need to do is just get over it. :(
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The hilly park where I walk for exercise is populated by other old fat people walking for their health like me.

Is there someplace you can run where there are other people of similar demographics to yours so you don't stand out?

If you are young and fit enough to worry about catcalls from cave-men, carry pepper spray.
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Stop doing it for other people and start doing it for yourself...
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    If anyone does actually register you, as opposed to thinking about paying the mortgage/the boss at work/what to wear, then they'll register that you're doing somehing.theadvantage if they're regulars is that they'll see you changing shape and increasing speed over the coming months :)
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't run, can't get over it so I got an elliptical lol
  • cursivepulse
    cursivepulse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but I started running with someone else and part of my fear with running was people looking at me like i was an idiot who didn't know what I was doing. When I was with someone else that didn't matter. After a while running felt more natural and I didn't need someone else to go run with me, because I learned to love it so much I didn't care what other people thought.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i started to go really really early in the morning, when i thought no one would be out there. trust me though, no one is looking at you. it's an unwritten rule of runners on crowded paths. we give each other privacy by ignoring each other.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Best way to get over your fears is to face them.
  • OrganikPunk
    Options
    Head phones with the volume up super high help I think! I tend to get so lost in my music that I start daydreaming while exercising so I don't really notice anyone :) plus if you get really into a day dream, you can imagine yourself super confident and sexy so then you feel that way in reality! Haha
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Every runner that I bother to glance at looks stupid ( in the face), but it's quickly followed by my envy of their endurance.
    This is why I started to not give a crap and began running, myself.
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have that "fear" too so I started running right outside town instead of through town. I really don't think people notice because so many of them fly right past me and have almost hit me lol.
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The hilly park where I walk for exercise is populated by other old fat people walking for their health like me.

Is there someplace you can run where there are other people of similar demographics to yours so you don't stand out?

If you are young and fit enough to worry about catcalls from cave-men, carry pepper spray.

LOL I'm sorry, but I was going to say something like this but more in a mean way (cause I'm an awful person). I only like to run in public places where I know someone is going to look much worse than me. Other than that, just focus on your running. I know it's hard, but let it fuel you and keep you pumping your legs forward. That's what I do when I start to get nervous and a white van is rolling slowly next to me....
  • centaurizoe
    centaurizoe Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It also doesn't help that one of the main reasons I didn't stick with it today is because my shorts were falling down and riding up at the same time, and my shirt was riding up...I will probably try again tonight, or go to the gym.
  • Erilynn93
    Options
    Stop doing it for other people and start doing it for yourself...

AH! I like this answer!
  • centaurizoe
    centaurizoe Posts: 115 Member
    Options

LOL I'm sorry, but I was going to say something like this but more in a mean way (cause I'm an awful person). I only like to run in public places where I know someone is going to look much worse than me. Other than that, just focus on your running. I know it's hard, but let it fuel you and keep you pumping your legs forward. That's what I do when I start to get nervous and a white van is rolling slowly next to me....

I'm not anxious people are judging me based solely on my looks/weight, it's more about my heavy breathing and such. The only people I ever see running are healthy people fit people :c Ironic, since I live in a city with the title "newly wed and nearly dead".
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    1. Can you go somewhere like a park/recreation/football oval where there wouldn't be many people? I train on an oval sometimes and often there are people, but too far away to even see me. It feels less nerve wracking than on a road where people will be close by and undoubtedly look. But, over time I gradually cared a bit less about that as well-because I got fitter.

2. If it's that you feel nervous of people seeing you running, you could try to start walking first, as someone walking is less likely to draw any notice of people, right? everybody walks, not everyone runs.

-Then, work up to either brisk walking, or running, and try to go for longer each time or once a week. You don't HAVE to be able to run out there for more than 10 minutes, even if that is your fitness goal.

-Sometimes we need to work up to things and just accept that for us it's going to take a little bit of patience. There's nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their barriers. I have anxiety issues as well, and sometimes I hate that I cant just go do what is normal for everyone else, like have a damn conversation and look at them for more than 3 seconds. But I've got to practice and work at it, expose myself to it gradually and work towards small goals, because it is important.

-So, what I'm saying is that right now, 10 minutes is fine, 10 minutes is just your benchmark. Just try to go for 12 or 15 next time or something and work your way up gradually. Over time you might find you've been many times and it is less scary :) also over time your breathing will improve, as will your weight and fitness, so you'll just look like you're a natural and probably feel it, too. Sticking with it, even if it is slow progress, improves the chances that people wont even notice you there or judge. More so than going home and giving up ever will.

3.Also, would headphone/music help? try to concentrate on the words and not your thoughts might help. Just make sure it's safe to do that, and maybe have it so you can still hear things around you. If not music, perhaps just your breathing, continuously count your breaths in and out from 1 to 10. e.g inhale, 1, exhale 2, inhale 3, exhale 4 and so on and then start back at 1 when you get to 10. The idea of that is to focus mindfully on something other than any negative thoughts or on feeling anxious. Or, perhaps you could run with a friend a few times?
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Have you tried trail running? On a good day, I'll run for several miles without seeing another soul. Of course, the goal is to enjoy nature & challenge my body, but a nice side effect is alone time.

Also, I think the idea of finding a running buddy is good. Meetup has groups for every level in my city.

Really, no one is judging you. I'm honestly more impressed by the 300 pound lady jogging down the street than the 100 pound lady. That's way harder to do!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It also doesn't help that one of the main reasons I didn't stick with it today is because my shorts were falling down and riding up at the same time, and my shirt was riding up...I will probably try again tonight, or go to the gym.

Yeah, make sure you have well fitting running clothes. When running you try to get into a good rhythm and nothing is worse at throwing you off like hitching up your shorts or adjusting a mean camel toe every other minute :embarassed:
  • Erilynn93
    Options

I'm not anxious people are judging me based solely on my looks/weight, it's more about my heavy breathing and such. The only people I ever see running are healthy people fit people :c Ironic, since I live in a city with the title "newly wed and nearly dead".

Ahhh I see. Well, I was able to get my breathing in check after only a few times out luckily, it takes practice though. It's all about easing into it.
  • MisterKinsey
    MisterKinsey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Based on your picture, I am significantly older than you so let me offer the wisdom of age. I hope it is helpful.

The big question you have to ask yourself is, "Who really gives a rat's rosy rear what anyone thinks of you as you are running?" If anyone actually notices you, they are likely to think one of several things. The first may be (and this is the one you fear), "Wow, look at that chunk trying to run." Those are the people who wish they had the gumption to get off their dead butts and get out on the road with you. You know, losers.

Others may think, "Wow, I wish I could get myself motivated to get out and exercise." These folks really want to join you for your run but are sitting at home worried about what others think of them. Don't be those people.

The biggest group are those who pass you and think, "Gee, I wonder what kind of crap I'm going to have to put up with at work today?" Almost no one is even paying attention to you. Sorry, but runners are simply not that interesting.

Enough of my silliness. Get off your couch, head out when you darn well please, and run until you are happy with it. Every step you take is one closer to where you want to be.