Can I Splurge One Day and Eat Under for a Few Days?

Options
Hi,

My recommended calories/day to lose 2 lbs/week is 1200. Recently, I have one or two days a week where I splurge and eat 2,000 calories or more. To compensate for this, I will eat a net of 900 calories for a few days. Is this okay or will I just be losing muscle instead of fat? Can someone please post a link to some credible information regarding a situation like this? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Are you only trying to lose 6 more pounds per your profile?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Google 'intermittent fasting'. It's pretty accepted. What you're doing is similar.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would think your metabolism would slow down if you go too low those days. But I'm not a nutritionist.
  • Ehecatl915
    Options
    Look up on google Wendie Plan, they use it on Weight Watchers, where they eat a load of points one day and then lower points the next day.
  • fatasfack
    fatasfack Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm trying to lose 8, but maybe more. The problem I've had is that while I've lost 42 lbs, a good deal of that had to have been muscle. When I used to weight 171, my current weight, I was a lot skinnier than this. I'm assuming the reason is because I have lost a ton of muscle. I think I only need to lose about 8 lbs until I look skinny enough, but who knows.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I was concerned about. I would ask a nutritionist, but in LA they are not very good. LA nutritionists try to tell you that you need to only eat certain foods that don't promote inflamation because inflamation holds on to fat.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    Hmm, thanks.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    This is great information. Thank you.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    This was very helpful. Thank you.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You should do a few things. First, set your "Activity Level" to Lightly Active. Next, set your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5 lb. per week. Enter your exercise calories and eat back about half because calories burn machines and gadgets tend to overestimate calories burn. Yes, you are correct. Without strength or weight training, you have lost muscle so consider incorporating one of those into your routine to preserve your remaining muscles.

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:

More than 75 lbs.: 2 lbs./week
    40-75 lbs.: 1.5 lbs./week
    10-40 lbs.: 1 lb./week
    Less than 10 lbs.: 0.5 lb./week

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    A guy should almost never have a daily caloric intake of 1200, unless you are 4'8". Dear heavens. Please calculate your TDEE & BMR and do this right. Google "Scooby calculator" is a great starting point, perhaps read New Rules of LIfting and Starting Strength.

ETA: just went back and read your additional comments. Seriously, lift weights. You can eat more, weigh more, but look better. I also concur with the above link to the sexypants guide.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    Thank you. This is good advice. I think I've lost about 15 lbs of muscle.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    Okay, thank you.