Oatmeal Dilemma: early carb-hog

Options
I like oatmeal. Particularly the chewy slow-cook stuff. What I'm not so excited about it seems to put me behind the carb 8-ball for the day. And what I mean by that, is that my little macros pie chart stays woefully carb-heavy unless I move to practically no-carb lunches and dinners. I've tried putting a couple tablespoons of almonds or sunflower seeds. Currently happy with flax/chia...but that's not moving the macro needle much.

Granted, I'm at ~1220 cals/day, so I've got fewer calories to play with than someone with say 2400. But still. This intuitively feels wrong. I'm absolutely NOT anti-carb. Just feeling a little perplexed about how other folks balance out an oatmeal breakfast.

What do you do?

Replies

• CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    In my opinion oatmeal is wonderful. It is healthy, it fills you up, its slow digesting so it keeps you full longer. I think its a great way to start the day and I do include it in my diet. In relation to oatmeal I personally would not worry about what the carb numbers say, oatmeal is awesome.
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oatmeal 6 out of 7 days a week for breakfast and have been doing so for close to 6 months, starting out with high carbs doesn't have any negative effects on me. Eat your oatmeal and enjoy!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Ladies, are you saying you don't worry about your macros? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious.

I'm not villifying oatmeal here, btw. I like it. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to make it better fit my macros.

ETA: OH! Let me clarify: I'm not concerned with "starting the day with carbs!" metabolic BS. I'm just sad that macro-wise for the day, I end up with only protein & fats, which really narrows my choices.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I know no one will agree with me but I feel oatmeal is overrated. Why you have to eat so much in the morning? I mean I get steel cut oats (I'm too lazy to make them though). I am no better though because I eat a luna bar every morning and it has to be horrible for me.
  • Stripeness
    Options
    I don't know. I know no one will agree with me but I feel oatmeal is overrated. Why you have to eat so much in the morning? I mean I get steel cut oats (I'm too lazy to make them though). I am no better though because I eat a luna bar every morning and it has to be horrible for me.

Using the overnight technique made the steel cut ones just as easy as the 1-minute - worth trying, if you've got 'em sitting around...

I actually most often eat egg whites/egg for breakfast. For me (HUGE YMMV), a high-pro breakfast gives me the most energy and least hunger before lunch. But I do like a little variety, and I happen to enjoy oatmeal.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I really don't pay attention to the carbs & sugar in my daily intake as long as I stay under calories and watch to make sure I'm getting protein, iron, potassium, and calcium. I know I go over on my carbs and sugars sometimes from eating a lot of fruit...I ignore it. As long as I end up under calories for the day, I don't worry about it.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    My priorities macro - wise are hitting my protein, fat, and fiber minimum. If I hit those, I completely ignore where my carbs fall. I tend to eat high carb, I like the energy and I love oatmeal. I like having so many different options for mix-ins for breakfast.
  • Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Options
    I usually balance out multigrain toasted o's or oatmeal, almond milk and berries with scrambled eggs made from 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites. It gives you the full feeling, slow carb, and protein.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    When I eat 2 servings of oatmeal in the morning, (old fashioned, extra added water, and then slow cooked with salt), I stay full for hours. I'm on 1200 calories a day too. I don't top them with anything but unsweetened soymilk.

Their have been studies done that show that oatmealk keeps people full for hours, more so than a dry oatmeal containing boxed cereal. The thing that scientists believe is happening is that the cooking releases all the wonderful soluble and insoluble fiber that slowly release the energy while it is being digested, as opposed to anything containing a refined sugar, or in a dry boxed breakfast cereal.

Oats are a welcome part of my journey. I love them like you do, slow cooked and chewy/creamy. They are so wholesome and good for us. Three cheers for oatmeal!:drinker:
  • smarieallen85
    Options

Using the overnight technique made the steel cut ones just as easy as the 1-minute - worth trying, if you've got 'em sitting around...

I actually most often eat egg whites/egg for breakfast. For me (HUGE YMMV), a high-pro breakfast gives me the most energy and least hunger before lunch. But I do like a little variety, and I happen to enjoy oatmeal.

Yeah! Then eat it! Part of the reason I never liked it was because I felt like I couldn't get near a slice of bread or any other carbs for the day.
  • Stripeness
    Options
    ^^That's it exactly! It's the rest-of-the-day fighting to make my protein macro, and avoiding carbs b/c then I won't hit my calories or protein/fat macros...I end up feeling like a low/no-carb nutjob, and hate that :grumble:
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I often eat steel cut oatmeal with frozen berries, greek yogurt, and a little bit of protein powder as sweetener. A large bowl varies from about 250-300 cal, and usually has around 20g of protein. Obviously this would depend on how you proportion the ingredients. I like it a lot! Haven't gotten tired of it :)
  • smarieallen85
    Options
    ^^That's it exactly! It's the rest-of-the-day fighting to make my protein macro, and avoiding carbs b/c then I won't hit my calories or protein/fat macros...I end up feeling like a low/no-carb nutjob, and hate that :grumble:

Yeah, you're doing a much better job watching your macros than I am. But maybe it's not that hard to eat oatmeal two or three times a week and really watch your carbs the rest of the day? I don't know. My goal next week is to start being more careful of that again.
  • HikerMom03
    Options
    What about Barley?

I know there's more calories, but the fiber and protein is pretty high.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    1220 seems awfully low for your present weight! I do hope you're eating back exercise calories.
    And oatmeal is wonderful-no need to be concerned.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    My priorities macro - wise are hitting my protein, fat, and fiber minimum. If I hit those, I completely ignore where my carbs fall. I tend to eat high carb, I like the energy and I love oatmeal. I like having so many different options for mix-ins for breakfast.

^this

I wouldn't sweat being over a bit on the carb macro. other macros are more important. Remember to also to subtract your fiber carbs from your carbs for your real carb level. the macros in mfp don't subtract that (IMHO they should)

also for the most part unless you are following a certain macro setup by a nutritionist or doctor the macros as set out by MFP are arbitrary. Looking at your macros I actually think your protein macros are a bit high. 150 of protein is REALLY HIGH. and 200 carbs seems totally normal. If I were you I'd reset your macros to be a bit lower on protein and a bit higher on carbs.
    YMMV though

further edit looking at where your carbs are the oatmeal is the last of the worries. :) that lemonade nearly had twice the carbs of the oatmeal and none of the redeeming values. If it was a choice between the two the oatmeal is the better choice. :) Sweet drinks is the first thing I axed (we're all different with different priorities but sugary drinks have very little redeeming value) the other thing to consider is that treats low in fat often pack in the sugar. types of fat are important to consider but i think full fat treats in moderation are probably more satisfying in the long run and will often have less sugar.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I see from your diary that you are eating back your calories.
    I also see no veggies whatsoever. Don't you like them?
  • Stripeness
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas! I will definitely try barley, and maybe throw in some yogurt & protein powder (that throws off my VERY lazy 1-thing breakfast, but hey, you gotta be willing to experiment)

I do eat back my exercise calories. NOM NOM NOM.

1220 *is* teeth-grittingly low, but my medically measured RMR is only 1100. Which is LOW.

Until several months ago, I was lifting *heavy* (bench press PR=230 lbs), and I am carrying a good amount of muscle, and was pleased to see the % not drop toooo much while losing my 1st 25. There's definitely a good 50 lbs of fat on me that can be lost still *wry grin*

My diary is *much* better before June (serious back injury - my exercise tanked too!), but NO, I don't like veggies. They taste fine but...they're a PITA to fix, store, eat before they go bad. I know that's a terrible attitude. Left to my own devices, I will eat toast (buttered or unbuttered) and drink tea with milk & sugar as my sole diet.

MFP has helped me shift my eating healthier (honest, the last few days are awful, but even they are an improvement), and at least get things on the rails!

P.S. There were veggies to go in the kung pao, but that would have cost me the protein macro. Which is set based on doc recommendation, btw. (fair question!)
  • Stripeness
    Options

further edit looking at where your carbs are the oatmeal is the last of the worries. :) that lemonade nearly had twice the carbs of the oatmeal and none of the redeeming values. If it was a choice between the two the oatmeal is the better choice. :) Sweet drinks is the first thing I axed (we're all different with different priorities but sugary drinks have very little redeeming value) the other thing to consider is that treats low in fat often pack in the sugar. types of fat are important to consider but i think full fat treats in moderation are probably more satisfying in the long run and will often have less sugar.

:-( Yeah, that's gonna have to be the last of the lemonade. The honey-roasted peanuts are already gone, and I don't buy them - but obviously I'm willing to eat them as an empty-nesting leave behind!

Protein's set based on my lean muscle mass, discussed with my doc. Also, tbh, extra carbs = another slice of toast or another tortilla. Not that I think any food is evil, but as you can see, veggies aren't currently making it onto my plate. That's the Next Big Thing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You can get oatmeal with more protein. Mine (also steel cut, I do it in the rice cooker, which is also super easy) has 7 grams, and I've seen higher than that. But more than that I always add some other source of protein in addition to the bit of milk I add, usually smoked salmon or yogurt on the side. My bigger problem with oatmeal is it's harder to incorporate veggies than with my usual omelet.

The last couple of days I've bought breakfast, though, and a place near my office does steel cuts with protein powder. I might try that at home and it would be an easy way to add protein in one bowl.

For me it's more an issue of meeting my protein macro since I do 3 meals no snacks, so need all 3, usually. The 29 or so grams of carbs really aren't that high--about a quarter of the low end of my usual goal.