To Fitbit or not to Fitbit

Options
I've reached goal recently (in the past couple of months) and now in maintenance. I don't have a fitbit, but considering one. Would it still be a good investment to have one for maintenance? Is there another activity tracker you would recommend? Should I just live life like I have or would it be worth it?

Replies

• riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If you are really unsure of how much you need to eat, then sure, get a Fitbit. I imagine that if you just make an effort to eat healthily and listen to your hunger signals you shouldn't gain. You aren't limited to a fitbit, that's what i have and i like it, but there are lots of diff options out there to check out.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I bought a used fitbit zip on ebay for$39. I found it very helpful, because it motivates to hit my step goals and it adds calories to my day. It was my maintenance reward. I feel lost without one and, when I lost the first, bought a second immediately.

It doesn't count stairs, etc., but it integrates beautifully with MFP and I log extra exercise like biking it doesn't count well. It is a good overall estimate of activity.
  • HikerMom03
    Options
    I'm considering one.

I have seen so many different devices (nike has one too).

I'll be following along to see what others say.
  • Jayma375
    Jayma375 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I decided I wanted to get a fitness band after finding that I did better with my eating after starting MFP because I like the game of trying to get the amt of protein my Dr. wanted me to get but keep it under 1300 calories. I thought I would feel the same way about tracking my steps. So I evaluated several of the fitness bands including Fitbit. What I found was that none of them are 100% accurate so I looked at other attributes to determine which one I wanted to buy.

I ended up with the Garmin Vivofit mainly because it had a watch battery that's supposed to last a year. I already have 2 phones (one for work) and an IPad I have to keep charged so just the convenience of not having to remember to charge it every few days. It does all the basics the others do but if at a later time I decide I want a heart rate monitor there is an accessory I can get at a later time. I could have bought a them together at a discount but I wasn't sure I wanted the heart rate monitor.

The big thing with any of these products is since they aren't 100% accurate you have to use them as a comparison to yourself. I used the first few days to see how many steps I typically take and then when I can I try to go higher. Another nice thing about the Garmin is it sets a goal for you based upon your average # of steps so as you increase your steps your daily goal increases too.

Good luck!
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit and wouldn't be without it. I bought a zip for under $50 on Amazon. It's a great motivator and I like being able to track my TDEE weekly and monthly, I feel like its a better estimate of my calories burned than the online calculators. Definitely worth it to me!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I have the zip. Its great. It tracks my steps and makes you strive for more. Its the most basic model. There are s few different ones thst track more than steps. Depends on what you want it to track.
  • JoeValencic
    Options
    Just an FYI, my wife has had several fitbits over the last couple of years, and really enjoyed telling me how many steps she had taken each and every day. It IS a good motivational tool, but I must say they do not do well in the washing machine when someone forgets it in a pocket. This why she has owned SEVERAL over the last couple of years. LOL they're tiny little suckers, and I can see how it can easily be forgotten in a pocket. She has also lost one or two in that time as well. My wife does not do well with expensive toys. Cheap stuff last forever and never gets lost.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Definitely yes. You don't have to be fat to wear a Fitbit or other device. Very slim, active people wear them, and about everywhere you look you're going to see all sizes with a device on their wrists. Super cool and getting more popular all the time.

Wearing one on your wrist, is that little reminder to walk a little further.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,945 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance for about 5 months now! I've had my Flex for about 4 months now!! I've had the one for about 1 1/2 before I lost it! Love love mine! It helps me stay motivated plus it's my alarm to wake up so I can get my morning runs in! I love the idea I never have to take it off, JUST to charge it! I would recommend it yo everyone!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I wear a Jawbone Up, it syncs with my android. It not only counts the steps, but I can add in exercise, hiking, cardio, and strength. Once it's uploaded to my android it then syncs with MFP, and gives it my calorie burn. They make them for I phones, but the Bluetooth with the UP doesn't seem to be that accurate. But I love it for the android.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love my Fitbit. It keeps me motivated. I work in retail and I could never figure out what my activity level should be in MFP (active? slightly active?). My Fitbit tells me exactly how many calories I burn at work and I adjust my intake accordingly. It's been a godsend.
  • cjames010
    cjames010 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My fitbit definitely eased my mind about going into maintenance and increasing my calories.

I found out that I burn *less* calories than MFP predicts for me at sedentary.
    Therefore, I need to get up and move just to have a sedentary calorie burn! Ugh.

However, I've been following my fitbit calorie burn daily, and have been maintaining since June.
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My fitbit definitely eased my mind about going into maintenance and increasing my calories.

I found out that I burn *less* calories than MFP predicts for me at sedentary.

^^^ THIS!! ^^^
    MFP is only EVER an estimate. there is a lot of "trial and error" for each individual and especially as we transition from deficit, to maintenance or to "gain" - and as our habits change, our Calories burned can change. Knowledge comes from Information, which in turn is gained from Data. (Geek alert . . .??) ANY data that helps you MANAGE your way to a goal is helpful - perhaps even 'NECESSARY" - IMHO! :bigsmile:
  • Gloria67648
    Gloria67648 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit.

Today in addition to just walking about, I biked 5 miles. Swam 10 laps and did some stretching. Mfp would have given me a humongous minus. I think fit bits adjustments are more realistic.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I went with the Nike Fuel Band and and I wear it everyday. My husband wears a fitbit. Everyone who I have given a fitbit as a gift loves it. It really motivates / reminds me to take the stairs or walk to lunch rather than get in a car and go.

You can go to CNET.com and read reviews on all of the wearable devices to help you decide the best one for you.

I consider my device a key component of maintenance, just I like I do logging here on MFP..
  • davinarn
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I admit what sold me on the fitbit was the fact it synced with MFP and my husbands insurance thing for health miles. It has helped me to drop 30+ lbs, now I am hoping it will help me figure out how to take in enough to maintain this this weight lose.
  • keng66
    keng66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have used a Fitbit Flex for 7 weeks approximately. It keeps me motivated to get the 10 000 steps in everyday even when I don't really want to, plus it has other features that I like too.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a JawboneUP and I love it. I've had it since March 2013.
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone S it has a built in step tracker that feeds directly into MFP and adjusts your calorie balance accordingly. I also got a Heart Rate monitor app from the app store that uses the built in camera that seems accurate(was $2.50 I think)
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone S it has a built in step tracker that feeds directly into MFP and adjusts your calorie balance accordingly. I also got a Heart Rate monitor app from the app store that uses the built in camera that seems accurate(was $2.50 I think)
    How does this work? Does it use data constantly?