BMR & TDEE & Actual Intake

Options
Hey there, my BMR is supposed to be around 1500-1547 (I did different calculators and got different answers) and my TDEE (which is how much you're supposed to consume to do everything your body needs to do in a day) is 2000-2200 (again with different calculators). Today was the first day I've tracked my intake in a while and I was just barely at 1400 (and only because I thought it was too low so I had a bowl of ice cream because I really can't eat any more right now).
I guess what I'm wondering is how accurate is this BMR thing? Should I try to get above what it says? Because I'm perfectly comfortable (and even quite full) eating how I did today (which really all I did was take a normal day of eating and write it down). Any thoughts/opinions from more experienced people would be lovely thank you.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    to lose weight on the MFP approach you eat less than your TDEE, the amount is typically less than your BMR too (if sedentary and looking to lose 1 lb/week or more).

1400 is a 600-800 calorie deficit from your TDEE and seems OK.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    BMR is when you are in a coma-like state, so non-moving those are the calories that you should be burning. It's not accurate for people who have extra lean body tissue or extra fatty body tissue, since they burn way different values, that's where TDEE comes in more handy. I've heard people suggest to at least eat that minimum but TDEE as maximum intake to lose weight.