Yoga...where to begin?

Options
I would really love to start doing yoga a few days a week. There are so many apps, dvds and books and it makes my head spin. Can anyone recommend any good videos (preferably free) that would be challenging but not incredibly difficult for a beginner?

Replies

• NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    Coed nekkid yoga...
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I wish that I could recommend specifics to you but I belong to a yoga studio and am not really familiar with specific videos. I just wanted to tell you to please give it a try. The benefits are numerous. There are many different styles, from high energy to serene and meditative. I would head to YouTube and just start trying a few different things until you find one that meets your needs. It should be challenging but not frustrating. Start with some that move fairly slowly so you can watch closely to learn good form. I've practiced yoga in one form or another for many years and am a serious fan. It changes me...body, mind and spirit. Good luck.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i learned some easy poses on wii fit and i do them on demand whenever i feel like i need a refresh.

i go to classes at the gym when i am in the mood but i dont like classes much they dont really make me feel comfortable.

i also learned some from the book 28 day yoga (or 28 days of.. )

if i were to suggest knowing anything, learn sun salutation and spinal twist.

spinal twist is like medecine for me.

sorry i dont have a youtube suggestion i looked there but the ones i found were either too advanced or wayy too boring or easy. honestly the best leanring i have done was from the book and the wii...
  • ssbobbyh
    ssbobbyh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I personally like P90X3 Yoga.

3 days a week, I pop it in for half an hour and go for it. It shows beginner, adept, and advanced motions.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I think you should start with a few classes. There are so many different styles that it's best to try a few and see what you like. If you are unwilling to pay for classes (although many studios offer the first class free), then I think the second best thing is to try your library and see what they have.

Best of luck.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene on youtube is great.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I recommend Rodney Yee's Gaiam videos. They are pretty inexpensive on Amazon. The Yoga for beginner's is $9.59.
    The best place to learn is at a yoga studio where they have been trained and know how to teach yoga. It makes a difference. They help you get into the positions properly. You could always try a beginner class :)

Yoga is wonderful.
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Go on youtube and look up "30 Day Yoga Challenge", start with day 1 and go from there, it's a great starting point. :)