Types of cereal

Amandac6772
Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I love cereal but #1 it doesn't stick with me and #2 sometimes it gives me the shakes. I like Kashi Go Lean crunch...seems to last longer but soooo full of sugar. What cereal are you eating? I've been eating eggs for months now and getting kind of burned out.

Replies

• ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    For me I have 2 types a Summer one and a Winter one lol :laugh:

Readybrek for Winter as it warms me up and sets me up for the day rarely get hungry till lunchtime :heart:

Rice Krispies and chopped up fruit in the Summer :heart:

Both I have with skimmed milk and no sugar :bigsmile:
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Fiber One Honey Clusters.... a little high on the sugar, but the fiber balances it out. I'm hypoglycemic and it doesn't bother me so unless you have blood sugar issues, you should be good. 1 bowl keeps me full a good 4 hours.

For hot cereal I go with Quaker Instant Oatmeal lower sugar variety pack.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I eat Kashi GoLean (the regular one. I lovingly term it "honey nut cardboard"), and Kashi toasted berry crumble. Both are enjoyed with 1/2 cup of unsweetened regular almond milk. I usually have a banana with my GoLean. I also enjoy the Kashi oatmeals.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I'll only eat cereal at night, never in the morning. The carbs in cereal burn up too fast and I either own't have enough energy to get me through a workout or I'll just get hungry too quickly. Cereal is great for dinner because I know it will be digested by the time I go to bed so my body will burn fat throughout the night.

When I do eat cereal I choose an organic brand Like Barbara's or Peace Cereal.
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    I eat total or total raisin bran! the problem i saw with a lot of cereals is that they have high fructose corn syrup (such as special k) so they claim less sugar but are actually worse for you. The total raisin bran has a lot of fiber so i stay full and has 100% in a lot of vitamins! and it uses real sugar, so your body breaks it down better. Even the normal total has a slighty sweet taste to it...so dont worry about the card board taste!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    I never eat cereal for breakfast because it's just not filling enough for me... For me I'd rather eat Quaker weight control oatmeal-mapel and brown sugar or Sara Lee whole wheat english muffin with naturally more pb. Both I enjoy with 8oz. of Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk. If I eat cereal it's only as a snack! But I workout in the mornings so I gotta have something a little more fillin to help me push thru my workouts without stopping because I feel hungry.
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    also, your breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day. so why stop at cereal? Try eating lots of fruit as well with it-low calories and the sugar that IS in it is natural sugar and will be broken down by your body. Also try eating a little yogurt with it. I eat Greek yogurt. nonfat, 120 calories and 12 g of protein! that paired with berries or some melon and a bowl of cereal will definately jump start you
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Fiber One,Cheerios,& Wheaties with fruit!:wink: Plus eat a slice of fiber toast with it! [peanut butter 1 Tbsp]

Cheerios 1 cup 100 cals.
  • I can't typically eat cereal for breakfast because it does not stick with me.The only kind of cereal I've eaten for breakfast that sticks with me is Fiber One Shredded Wheat biscuits...it hurts my belly though because of all the fiber. I also have been eating alot of eggs and egg whites for breakfast. I personally like to replace dinner with a plain bowl of rice krispies with skim milk and a sprinkle of splenda sometimes.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Oatmeal stays with me much longer. I do have Cherrios once in awhile
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Good ole Cheerios are my fav! Definitely try oats in the morning though.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    also, your breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day. so why stop at cereal? Try eating lots of fruit as well with it-low calories and the sugar that IS in it is natural sugar and will be broken down by your body. Also try eating a little yogurt with it. I eat Greek yogurt. nonfat, 120 calories and 12 g of protein! that paired with berries or some melon and a bowl of cereal will definately jump start you

I agree! Eating cereal alone is the reason some people won't be feeling full for very long. Definitely add something to it. I find oatmeal to be more filling than dry cereal and it's easy to add berries, bananas, or even greek yogurt to it.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    off brand cookie crunch lol yeah not really good for you but 110 cals for a whole cup, so i eat is as dessert if i really need something sweet
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    I've rotated through Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, Low-Fat Almond Granola from Trader Joe's, and a few other Trader Joe's varieties. I used a cup of cereal to a cup of skim milk at 6:30 and it always kept me full until around 9 which is my snack time anyway. I used the hunger cue to make sure I had burned through it before eating again. I have Shakeology for breakfast these days though, it's more convenient for me since I can blend it up and drink it on the way to work. Good luck in your cereal quest, I hope you find a good one :)
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Oatmeal. I love that crap. It's so tasty. And healthy. And delicious. And warm. And with all kindsa cool stuff in it. YUMMO!!
    Also, barenaked cereals are delich. and kashi too.
  • I like to have steel cut oatmeal!! i top it with a tsp of honey and berries or whatever fruit i have lying around. I find it really filling! When I do have cereal I have Kashi Go lean Crunch :) It's delicious!!
  • I eat Kashi GoLean and GoLean Crunch, I really love Toasted Berry Crunch by Kashi but it's far lower in potassium than the previous two. As for cereal not filling you up or burning away too quickly I don't find that at all. I find a bowl of cereal in the morning keeps me going till my next meal at least. I've not had a problem with feeling hungry at all. I sometimes use it as a post-workout meal when I'm too lazy afterward to cook or even make a sandwich.
  • Try quick cook oats, make in microwave in 5 min. Top with any protein powder you like, I sometimes use vanilla eas, put a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and a packet of splenda. Sometimes I use chocolate eas and mush some banana in too. Helps to bump up my protein intake which sould be 1g/2lbs of body weight each day.
  • JeanHaynes
    JeanHaynes Posts: 55 Member
    I do Kashi Honey Sunshine cereal w/ light vanilla soy milk.
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    If I have cereal I do Fibre One Honey Clusters or occasionally oatmeal. I also do Weight Control Oatmeal.
This discussion has been closed.