Is my diary looking good?

Options
For the last 11 days I've been trying to lose weight and am planning to do this for awhile but I haven't seen any results whatsoever right now.

Am I doing it right? Any tips or advice based on my diary?

Replies

• THRIVEALLIN
    Options
    Have you heard of Thrive?
  • bijank0
    bijank0 Posts: 11
    Options
    Have you heard of Thrive?

Nope
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Good logging! You eat out a lot - lunch, dinner and breakfast on some days. You end up eating a lot of carbs and sodium that way. I found lower carbs and higher protein to be helpful for losing weight. Are you any good at preparing your own food - can you make some time to do that? It is time-consuming but it is very difficult to find fresh food that has the right sort of balance of nutrients when you're out and about.
  • bijank0
    Options
    Good logging! You eat out a lot - lunch, dinner and breakfast on some days. You end up eating a lot of carbs and sodium that way. I found lower carbs and higher protein to be helpful for losing weight. Are you any good at preparing your own food - can you make some time to do that? It is time-consuming but it is very difficult to find fresh food that has the right sort of balance of nutrients when you're out and about.

It's been really hard recently to eat at home, I try but it's not possible sometimes.

I'll try to follow your advice.

Do you think I'm at least on the right track? And do you think that the amount of exercise I do is good enough?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Tupperware boxes ;-)

It's impossible to log accurately while eating out. Save it for the occasional treat, later.
  • THRIVEALLIN
    Options
    I was put in the hospital in early June and I was introduced to this product. It has changed my life. I have tried alot of things but nothing compares. Check out www.cobywhite.Le-Vel.com
  • justlynzo
    justlynzo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good job logging!

As others have stated, it does look like you eat out a lot. I get that it's not feasible for every person to cook all their own meals from organic/unprocessed/trend-of-the-month food and I don't eat "clean" myself so I am not going to knock you for that. However, even if you eat out most of the time, you'd probably benefit from eating more protein, veggies, and healthy fats as part of your diet. You also eat a lot of carbs, which is fine, but maybe more nutrient-rich choices (whole grains, beans, sweet-potatoes, etc...) would be better options if you can find them.

Being young and male, you may also be able to eat more calories than you're currently eating each day and still lose weight. Even if you keep your current calorie limit and continue eating a lot of fast food, try to add more veggies, fiber, and foods like:
    -nuts
    -seeds
    -beans
    -avocado
    -fish
    -whole grains
    -greek yogurt (especially if you need extra protein)

...etc, to your diet. Healthy weight loss is often a slow process and none of us eats 100% healthy 100% of the time, so just try each day to eat more nutrient-rich food and less "junk" and you will find your sweet spot. And always feel free to ask the MFP community if you have any more specific questions or concerns!

Best of luck to you!

ETA: Also, don't pay any attention to the people who try to sell you miracle cures or supplements. Ahem --see above-- ahem.
  • THRIVEALLIN
    Options
    I was put in the hospital in early June and I was introduced to this product. It has changed my life. I have tried alot of things but nothing compares. Check out www.cobywhite.Le-Vel.com
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Looks like you need to improve your logging, and work on consistency.

Just yesterday you have 2 different entries for cornflakes.

Entries like: Generic 1 cup Cornflakes with 1/2 cup milk - First it's not weighed out so using a 1 cup measurement won't be the most accurate.

What's a medium apple? My idea of medium and your idea of medium will be totally different, and not the same every time

Same with a medium banana

Generic cheesecake plain .63 of a slice? 161 calories?

Those are just a few entries I would question.

Here's some information that might help

Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Steve_Rance
    Options
    It's good that you're logging what you eat, but some of it looks too good to be true!

McDouble burger: 127 calories, 11g carbs, 6g fat, 7g protein, 2g sugar, 49.66g serving is one of your entries - McD's website lists this as being 380 calories, 22g protein, 34g carbs, 17g fat, 22g protein, 7g sugar, 147g serving.

Not trying to bash you or anything, maybe you only ate 1/3 of the burger or something :)
  • bijank0
    Options
    It's good that you're logging what you eat, but some of it looks too good to be true!

McDouble burger: 127 calories, 11g carbs, 6g fat, 7g protein, 2g sugar, 49.66g serving is one of your entries - McD's website lists this as being 380 calories, 22g protein, 34g carbs, 17g fat, 22g protein, 7g sugar, 147g serving.

Not trying to bash you or anything, maybe you only ate 1/3 of the burger or something :)

Yeah I had a piece of it. I tried my best to be accurate and at times I even over estimated my calorie intake
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

Reported: spam/advertisement
  • Steve_Rance
    Options
    Props to you for the willpower.

Put a burger in front of me and it's gone. All of it. :laugh: