Sleep apnea?

Options
2»

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My wife, very politely, told me that the fatter I get, the more I snore. After slowly losing 45 pounds, she claims that I don't snore anymore. Personally, I don't believe that I ever snored. :tongue:

:laugh: That's exactly what my husband would say :laugh:
    We've seen those machines and they don't look comfortable, he gets overheated when sleeping (plug in fan and overhead fans are on) because he works w/ lead and sometimes he has to wear a mask is why he doesn't want to use 1 for sleeping.
    He doesn't stay in 1 position is really his main reason...he'd end up pulling the tub out or getting tangled up in it...he'd probably "try" it as something new and then it would get put somewhere to collect dust :ohwell:
    I have recorded him snoring for 10 minutes for him to hear what I have to endure....he laughed & said that was probably me making those sounds or the dog.
    The funny thing is...he has snored so loud before that he's woken himself up!
  • flowrgal23
    flowrgal23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45 pounds so far, but I still use my CPAP. Come to think of it, I've never tried sleeping without it since it's such a habit. I guess I could try an experiment and tape record myself some night to see if I snore again. I remember the first time I recorded myself before apnea diagnosis; I was stunned at how much I fought for breath at night. I couldn't believe all that noise was coming from me. :embarassed:
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My big fat neck has slimmed down....which in turn my loud snoring has mellowed a lot:bigsmile:
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Well being half the person I used to be, sleeping has never been easier, I no longer need to take fequent naps during the days and better still, I no longer snore, and also it's more comfortable to sleep on my side, and no longer have to sleep on my back.
  • BIGBMF
    BIGBMF Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had it real bad. Sometimes if wake myself up. Lost over 130 now the woman says it's gone.
  • srl32000
    srl32000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I got sleep study tested and was overweight with severe apnea. My doctor/nutritionist explained that I had to get deeper sleep or I would have a hard time with weight loss. I got the machine and was dedicated with it. After I got used to it I slept better and lost a lot of weight. I still snore but wake up very rested and lost a lot of weight since. My trouble with the c pap machine was that it caused dry mouth on one side and a year into it I had problems with many teeth on one side. Its important to moisturize your mouth and make sure yo keep the water reservoir filled to avoide this. Sleep is critical. Do whatever you can to get deep sleep.
  • smitaosunsade
    smitaosunsade Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My husband lost weight especially in the mid-section area but it didn't help his sleep apnea - he would keep me awake cos for some reason I wouldn't hear the snoring and jerk awake and would have to wake him up - he now uses a cpap machine (its not the Hannibal lecter looking one) and he sleeps better than me now!
    go do a sleep study and see what they say - he was stopping breathing 300 times a night!
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My husband has lost 30 pounds and doesn't snore as loud as he did. He still wears his CPAP, but when he kicks it off, it is not nearly as bad. The first time we cruised together, he left the CPAP at home and it was so loud that I slept on the floor in the tiny bathroom until I could get ahold of some ear plugs. Best of luck!
  • Cher1e1n2
    Cher1e1n2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have central sleep apnea and there is really nothing that can be done about it other than the CPAP. (my arousal was 272 times and 16 "apneas" of >30 seconds which is considered moderate altho I signed a medical waiver to refuse the equipment).. For obstructive weight loss and tilting your bed will work. I've never been over 200 not pregnant and am 5'9.. I'm in nursing school with a sleep tech and she warns me all the time about central apnea.. but obstructive can/does improve with lifestyle modification.
  • freakhazerd2424
    freakhazerd2424 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I think I will have sleep apnea till I die. I had the symptoms when I was a teen in great shape. Anyway to your question.

I have auto cpap(if that's what it's called) it changes my pressure automatically. I went from 14 to 15 down to 10 or 11 after I lost 25 pounds. I can now sleep comfortably with my mask. Before It was like a gail force wind hitting my face. Now It's more of a relaxing Breeze.
  • Lahai
    Lahai Posts: 5
    Options
    There are two types of sleep apnea: Central and Obstructive. In Central your nervous system is the problem, in Obstructive, structural problems in the neck and oropharynx cause the apnea. Obstructive problems can be weight related, and are relieved by losing weight. There are also mixed types and the amount of relief from weight loss will be dependent on the type of apnea that most predominates in the individual case. Everyone is different, and what works best is also individual.
    Lahai, RN
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    No actually! After losing 95 lbs I GAINED sleep apnea. Turns out, as you lose weight you get a "floppy palate" which can cause sleep apnea.

BAM! :drinker: :drinker:

Edit: *floppy palate not flappy palette :tongue:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I think I will have sleep apnea till I die. I had the symptoms when I was a teen in great shape. Anyway to your question.

I have auto cpap(if that's what it's called) it changes my pressure automatically. I went from 14 to 15 down to 10 or 11 after I lost 25 pounds. I can now sleep comfortably with my mask. Before It was like a gail force wind hitting my face. Now It's more of a relaxing Breeze.

My sister uses one of those. Before she had it, she was impossible to live with because she couldn't get adequate sleep. Now she's fine. As a testament, she was traveling to my mom's a realized she had forgotten to pack it for the weekend. They were 2 hours from home. Her husband turned around and drove home to get it, because it was that important to the mental health of the family. :)
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I believe I will be in the group that will have cpap for life. That being said, as I have lost weight, the pressure settings have been reduced. Sometimes I have a hard time telling if the machine is even running until I loosen the mask.
  • WAM1120
    WAM1120 Posts: 1
    Options
    My significant other woke me last night to tell me to not sleep on my back because I stop breathing. Yikes! 4 years ago (and 20 lbs lighter) I had a sleep study and did not have that issue. Time to get serious about this weight issue as it is now affecting my health. Curious to see if I lose weight, will this new apnea thing I have going on stop. Only one way to find out.

Good Luck to you!
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    OSA would often be relived by weight loss but I am under the understanding that the other type will not (I'm not a medical professional though). I have moderate to severe OSA and since I have lost over 8olbs I have seen a marked change in my sleeping. I can now have occasional times where I don't use my cpap. I hope that in the near term that I will be able to do without it completely.
  • I have a toddler just over 2 years old, and a 7 month old who still eats once a night, BUT am using my CPAP machine religiously.
    I can honestly say despite having 2 young kids, I'm still LESS tired than I was when I was childless and had sleep apnea, but didn't know yet what was wrong with me, it was AWFUL how I felt everyday.

My goal is to decrease the severity of it through exercise and diet (it may or may not ever go away completely, but I know I can probably at least minimize some of the effects it has on me).
    I'm sitting here eating a healthy bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and also just started working with a personal trainer because I hate sleep apnea so much I really want nothing more than to be free of it.

Also I found also getting a new mattress and a wedge pillow fantastic for my quality of sleep as well. I never sleep without my wedge pillow now.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Very very minor. Lost weight and after 90lbs lost, it went away completely.
  • THRIVEALLIN
    Options
    Ive lost weight but I still need my CPAP. I am on Thrive though and it makes me sleep much better.....www.cobywhite.Le-Vel.com