Kinect Fitness Games

Jennwith2ns
Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Sorry if this has been asked, I didn't see it anywhere.

Has anyone gotten the Kinect for Xbox 360 yet? Have you tried the fitness games? They have one for The Biggest Loser that looked good from the vid I saw.

Curious, how accurate can it tell your weight by the sensors? That part is interesting to me!

What I like is that DH will be able to do it with me (he cant use the wii balance board, over the weight limit)

Replies

• totally bought a 360 about 2 months ago (Halo Reach edition FTW!) buuuuut, I don't have any fitness games. just halo and FFXIII. I really want to get a kinect though, looks awesome.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    totally bought a 360 about 2 months ago (Halo Reach edition FTW!) buuuuut, I don't have any fitness games. just halo and FFXIII. I really want to get a kinect though, looks awesome.
    We just got the Halo Reach to replace our older Halo Xbox too but we got the Kinect and Your Shape, Fitness Evolved for it. I love the game, it's a lot of fun!
    Do you mean how accurate are the senors that track you or the calories burned counter? The tracking senors are fabulous, the calories burned counter I can't testify to. I tried comparing it to my cheapo wrist HRM but my HRM said I had burn 29 calories in 47 mintes... There is a Kinect fitness game that comes with a HRM that interacts with the game. I can't remember what it's called but it's made by EA.
    HTH!!
  • I have the Kinect Your Shape fitness, and it actually does a pretty accurate job of your body, calories burned, etc. However, the routines are only about 10-15 minutes and you have to stop and pick a new one, so it is not really continuous cardio. The strength training is REALLY good though. You need 3 to 5 lb weights for the strength training. Otherwise, I have been doing it in conjunction with other exercise (like Jillian Michaels or going to my apartment gym) and not making it my sole exercise for the day. 3.5 out of 4 stars if the fitness routines were just a bit longer
  • ZacFields
    ZacFields Posts: 62 Member
    I've got the Kinect but it's a Christmas gift so I won't get to bust into it for another few weeks :-(

I expect the Kinect to be a revolution in the idea of "fitness through gaming." The fitness programs (I've got one of those too... another Christmas present.. lol) measure the full movement of your body. So as you're following a sort of "workout video," it is able to tell you if you're slacking off or if you're doing it right.

And don't discount the fighting games for Kinect. Games that require you to punch and kick... this will be HUGE if you can find one of those games that you enjoy playing. You'll be having fun and also burning calories at the same time. Anyone here who has ever taken a martial arts class knows how much of a workout it is to kick and punch.

I think in 6 months or so we're going to start to see articles coming out from people claiming they've lost 50+ pounds just playing physical Kinect games everyday.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Thanks for all the replies! We were just about to get a Wii and wii fit before the Kinect came out. DH already has the 360 so it would cost a lot less just to get the kinect and a few games for that.
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    I have a Kinect with Kinect Adventures and Dance Central.

BOTH ARE EXTREMELY FUN!

Dance Central you may feel like a goof ball playing but it's really gets the blood flowing. There is a Workout Mode you can check while dancing to your songs as well that asks for you weight then calculates how many calories you have burned. This is what I use when i play it. I just make my own Cardio workout and put in the time i spent and how many calories the Xbox thinks I burned.

Also on the Kinect Adventures game it has 2 demos. One being a fitness game. Try it out. It's kinda hard to punch the blocks. I could really see how a person would get a great workout with that game. Go ahead and get a Kinect you won't be disappointed. I've played the Wii, and the PS3 Move as well and out of all of them I prefer the Kinect out of all of them due to you don't have to hold a controller to play. YOU ARE THE CONTROLLER!

-Rynoman2k3
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    I have the Kinect Your Shape fitness, and it actually does a pretty accurate job of your body, calories burned, etc. However, the routines are only about 10-15 minutes and you have to stop and pick a new one, so it is not really continuous cardio. The strength training is REALLY good though. You need 3 to 5 lb weights for the strength training. Otherwise, I have been doing it in conjunction with other exercise (like Jillian Michaels or going to my apartment gym) and not making it my sole exercise for the day. 3.5 out of 4 stars if the fitness routines were just a bit longer

Cool I really want to get that game! Even the Demo on Kinect Adventures got me sweating after 10-15 times in a row.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Thanks for all the replies! We were just about to get a Wii and wii fit before the Kinect came out. DH already has the 360 so it would cost a lot less just to get the kinect and a few games for that.

Bill Gates just got a little tingle up his leg.
  • I rented the Kinect Dance Central. Can you tell me how to get to the workout mode?
This discussion has been closed.