Korean Kimchi - The superfood? 150grams - 40 Calories

Options

Replies

• sim_moore
    sim_moore Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    lol.. good to see lots of replies and interesting points.. although I am not saying I will be replacing my entire diet with this stuff on the side isn't bad.. since i started logging I have been reading up on many topics regarding foods I eat and what to go for.. When I first tried Kimchi I google it and the responses were calling it a superfood haha

I guess my point to the article was that I like the stuff.. It isn't bad for you and fills you up.. Apparently a good boost to your metabolism also with all the spice?
  • Fit_Jesus
    Options
    Well probiotics have been getting a lot of hype nowadays since they say that 70% of your immune system is in your gut. Most people think of yogurt when it comes to probiotics, but we usually eat yogurt with a lot of sugar which isn't so good. Kimchi is another probiotic food that has vegetables as the main ingredient, so of course it's gotta be good for you. I eat kimchi before eating huge amounts of food to help with digestion.

If we went by your logic, wouldn't the sodium in kimchee be just as "bad" as the sugar in yogurt?

Seriously, enough with the bro-science. Enjoy kimchee if you like it and stop acting like it's magical.

Well sodium isn't an issue for me since I train hard and sweat a lot. I actually add sodium to my diet since it's one of the main form of electrolytes our muscles need to function
  • pbbagel
    pbbagel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey OP did you try tteoboki (dobokki?) in Korea as well? Y'know the rice cakes with spicy sauce? So good!
  • sim_moore
    Options
    yup.. I tried so many different dishes and loved them all :) kimbap I love as well :)
  • pbbagel
    pbbagel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah kimbap is so good! I only went for three days so I couldn't try a lot of stuff... but I hope Korean food becomes more popular in the US and UK.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less if it melts off pounds, cures cancer and does your taxes. It's salty fermented cabbage, which is three times nasty, plus, it stinks. No way in hell. There is no way to make cabbage remotely enjoyable, and as for fermenting it.... gaggggg........
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️I Love KimChi --- Cabbage is delicious and quite healthy- ????can anyone share an easier recipe?⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • rachelwaybright
    rachelwaybright Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! Bump for recipe.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Try 'kiszona kapusta' fermented Polish cabage, the same caloric value, you can get it everywhere.
  • sim_moore
    Options
    ?? Does it taste as good as Kimchi?? I personally love the taste
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Kim Chi is amazeballs!! I discovered it recently and put it in everything and eat it on it's own. I eat Oh Ricey instant Pho(220 cal) and chicking some kimchi in it makes it so good...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️I Love KimChi --- Cabbage is delicious and quite healthy- ????can anyone share an easier recipe?⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Easiest way is to find this at your local Asian market. It's a kimchee base and you can use it on it's own with a little water or vinegar and anything extra that you fancy. A little pricey but a little goes a long way.
    490288007005.jpg
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP! I am going to a market that specializes in Asian Foods later and I will have to check this out!
  • sim_moore
    Options
    no worries :) Good to see so many opinions on this food.. I tell you what though I have replaced my probiotic yoghurt at brekky for this at lunch or with a salad at dinner :) Less Sugar... Now I can have fruit instead of yoghurt with brekky without maxing out my sugar for the day.

**Note the Mundella Stawberry Probiotic yoghurt is still awesome :)
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Sorry to bring up this thread again. I know it's old, but I had it in my mind as I bought my first jar of Kimchi last week. I'm in love. Seriously, in love.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    A similar food would be sauerkraut. Other fermented foods are said to be good for you too.

But don't forget fibre. I'm spamming the boards now to get people to watch these tv shows on you tube that were recently aired in Australia on a regular science program. Highly reputable source. The show is called CATALYST - GUT REACTION.

Its about how important fibre is in your body. Fibre is broken down into short chain fatty acids which become acetate. Acetate (which is vinegar) fights inflammation in your body. Its good for asthma, diabetes and all sorts of other diseases. Its a must watch tv program. There are 2 half hour episodes.

Fibre may be far more important than kimchi and other so-called superfodo. Fibre is the #1 superfood bar none. Go for 50grams a day. It won't be easy but aim for that. Minimum should be 30 grams a day. There are people who eat 200grams of fibre a day. I don't know how they do it. But its said people who eat lots of fibre are the longest living people.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Ya I would rather buy it. It's only like $2.
  • RaggedyPond
    Options

Easiest way is to find this at your local Asian market. It's a kimchee base and you can use it on it's own with a little water or vinegar and anything extra that you fancy. A little pricey but a little goes a long way.
    490288007005.jpg

This stuff is gross.
  • RaggedyPond
    Options
    01_oikimchi.jpg

This is where it's at. Delicious.
  • sim_moore
    Options
    awesome :) Good to hear you are enjoying it..