Motivating thoughts

Options
Hello beautiful people,

I know that I am still in the beginning of my weight loss journey and I have a long way to go. However, I feel like sharing some of my experiences and motivating thoughts with you people.

I am currently in nursing school, hoping to become a pediatric nurse in the future. During my clinical rotations at various hospitals, I have taken care of patients diagnosed with different "preventative" related diseases, like hypertension. I have taken care of people dealing with the complications of diabetes and heart disease. I have seen the pain and struggle in my patients' eyes and it breaks my heart to witness them take a lot of medications and pretty much be bed bound. One of my patients told me about her past eating habits and she resented every fast food meal she ate. I worked at an outpatient diabetic clinic once and I have witnessed some gruesome events there. Every patient who visited the clinic suffers from diabetes and its complications. I have seen one of the doctors remove a patient's big toe because it was practically "dead" due to the effects of diabetes.

*Sucks to say but I do not want to end up in a similar position as them. In fact, I DO NOT WANT ANY OF US to end up in similar positions as them. Who wants to take several medications daily and constantly visit the doctor? Who wants to end up bed bound or use irritating specific footwear or clothes all the time? The answer is most likely NO.

I have seen my primary care physician multiple times over the past couple of months because of health issues that may potentially place me in a similar position as some of the patients I have taken care of. I got blood work and a stress treadmill test done within two weeks of each other. Each time I visit my doctor, my anxiety runs high because I always expect bad news due to my weight. Luckily, my stress test went great and my blood test results are good, except a little high LDL. My blood pressure readings are not consistently high enough to the point of being diagnosed with hypertension or in need of blood pressure medications.

Let me tell you guys something.—going to the doctors sucks, getting blood work done sucks, waiting for the results sucks, going through your results with your doctor sucks (or really sucks depending on the results).

Many of you may be thinking, if I dislike going to the doctors so much, why did I go in the first place? Why did I go and have my blood drawn? Why did I get a stress treadmill test done? Why do I monitor my blood pressure on a daily basis? Simple, for my health. I needed to know where I stand in relation to my physical health. I needed to know that my exercise program is fit for me.

I am not on this weight loss journey just to lose weight and to wear size 0 clothes. I am losing weight to decrease my blood pressure. I am losing weight to lower my cholesterol levels. I am losing weight to decrease my chances of getting diabetes or any disease I am at risk for due to my weight. I am losing weight to boost my self-esteem.

If you guys have not seen your PCP for years due to fear or is unable to see one because of financial issues, I really recommend that you go see a doctor that will help you along your journey. Take the time to get blood work done and see where you stand.

*Your health is one investment that is worth more than fame and all the materialistic goods on this planet.

*We are all here for different reasons, but I know that we all share one similar reason: TO LIVE A LONG HEALTHY LIFE!

*If you guys feel like giving up because you have hit a plateau, because you think that you cannot will reach your weight goal, because it seems simply impossible...tell yourself "I CAN DO IT AND I WILL DO IT"

*It took us years to reach our starting weight and it will take years to reach our goal weight. No matter what, please do not give up.

Sorry if I am rambling or my point is lost in the mist of many paragraphs.

Replies

• blizzardsmom
    blizzardsmom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ALL

I suggest that everyone read this post, it really is to the point. You said it all and it is simple. You want to live a healthy happy life, then do it and that includes healthy life styles, the alternative, doctor appointments, medicine and then check out time.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Good luck on your journey!
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    what a great way to start my day. thank you for your inspirational words :)
  • wvukp
    wvukp Posts: 22
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!!!
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. I'm a second year medical student and a HUGE part of why I'm on this journey is because I don't want to have to be a "cautionary tale" for my future patients. Rather, I want to be able to tell my patients that I've been in their shoes, and I know first hand how hard it is - but that I also know that they can change their lifestyle and their health for good.

Thank you for sharing!
  • danicaone_101
    danicaone_101 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. I'm a second year medical student and a HUGE part of why I'm on this journey is because I don't want to have to be a "cautionary tale" for my future patients. Rather, I want to be able to tell my patients that I've been in their shoes, and I know first hand how hard it is - but that I also know that they can change their lifestyle and their health for good.

Thank you for sharing!

OMG you stated my point exactly. Thanks for reading.
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Excellent post and spot on! Thanks for the inspiration :-D
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello beautiful people,

I know that I am still in the beginning of my weight loss journey and I have a long way to go. However, I feel like sharing some of my experiences and motivating thoughts with you people.

I am currently in nursing school, hoping to become a pediatric nurse in the future. During my clinical rotations at various hospitals, I have taken care of patients diagnosed with different "preventative" related diseases, like hypertension. I have taken care of people dealing with the complications of diabetes and heart disease. I have seen the pain and struggle in my patients' eyes and it breaks my heart to witness them take a lot of medications and pretty much be bed bound. One of my patients told me about her past eating habits and she resented every fast food meal she ate. I worked at an outpatient diabetic clinic once and I have witnessed some gruesome events there. Every patient who visited the clinic suffers from diabetes and its complications. I have seen one of the doctors remove a patient's big toe because it was practically "dead" due to the effects of diabetes.

*Sucks to say but I do not want to end up in a similar position as them. In fact, I DO NOT WANT ANY OF US to end up in similar positions as them. Who wants to take several medications daily and constantly visit the doctor? Who wants to end up bed bound or use irritating specific footwear or clothes all the time? The answer is most likely NO.

I have seen my primary care physician multiple times over the past couple of months because of health issues that may potentially place me in a similar position as some of the patients I have taken care of. I got blood work and a stress treadmill test done within two weeks of each other. Each time I visit my doctor, my anxiety runs high because I always expect bad news due to my weight. Luckily, my stress test went great and my blood test results are good, except a little high LDL. My blood pressure readings are not consistently high enough to the point of being diagnosed with hypertension or in need of blood pressure medications.

Let me tell you guys something.—going to the doctors sucks, getting blood work done sucks, waiting for the results sucks, going through your results with your doctor sucks (or really sucks depending on the results).

Many of you may be thinking, if I dislike going to the doctors so much, why did I go in the first place? Why did I go and have my blood drawn? Why did I get a stress treadmill test done? Why do I monitor my blood pressure on a daily basis? Simple, for my health. I needed to know where I stand in relation to my physical health. I needed to know that my exercise program is fit for me.

I am not on this weight loss journey just to lose weight and to wear size 0 clothes. I am losing weight to decrease my blood pressure. I am losing weight to lower my cholesterol levels. I am losing weight to decrease my chances of getting diabetes or any disease I am at risk for due to my weight. I am losing weight to boost my self-esteem.

If you guys have not seen your PCP for years due to fear or is unable to see one because of financial issues, I really recommend that you go see a doctor that will help you along your journey. Take the time to get blood work done and see where you stand.

*Your health is one investment that is worth more than fame and all the materialistic goods on this planet.

*We are all here for different reasons, but I know that we all share one similar reason: TO LIVE A LONG HEALTHY LIFE!

*If you guys feel like giving up because you have hit a plateau, because you think that you cannot will reach your weight goal, because it seems simply impossible...tell yourself "I CAN DO IT AND I WILL DO IT"

*It took us years to reach our starting weight and it will take years to reach our goal weight. No matter what, please do not give up.

Makes perfect sense to me. Its why Im here.
    Well put.....
  • MayFreshDaly
    Options
    Hello beautiful people,

I too am in nursing school and it has really opened my eyes about how unhealthy I am. I agree with you completely, I don't want to be the patient who needs an AKA or any patient who is on bed rest. I am also at risk for HTN and DM and that is always in the back of my mind. I'd love to be able to stop worrying.
    But most of all I certainly do not want to have to preach a healthy lifestyle of which I have not practiced.
  • kathymiller628
    Options
    Great post thank you for sharing you are exactly right! Thanks for the motivation!!