low carb + breastfeeding

Options
Would this be an OK combination? I have an exclusively breastfed 7 month old. NO plans to stop anytime soon. I am concerned with creating two much of a deficit in my calories and it being bad for both of us. I've always done the best on low card plans in the past, and feel that this is a life style I am ready to stick with. Is it ok while breastfeeding, though? Does anyone know? I'm thinking as long as my calories are not cut too much, and I'm replacing the carbs with healthier choices, it would be OK...

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    My concern would be primarily getting sufficient nutrition for both of you, but also maintaining enough energy to keep up with the kiddo. If you can maintain your energy level and get sufficient nutrition for both of you by not going too low carb, then it should be fine.

In terms of "replacing the carbs with healthier choices," please watch this. Carbs are a macronutrient that provides essential energy, and come with a variety of micronutrients.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Would this be an OK combination? I have an exclusively breastfed 7 month old. NO plans to stop anytime soon. I am concerned with creating two much of a deficit in my calories and it being bad for both of us. I've always done the best on low card plans in the past, and feel that this is a life style I am ready to stick with. Is it ok while breastfeeding, though? Does anyone know? I'm thinking as long as my calories are not cut too much, and I'm replacing the carbs with healthier choices, it would be OK...

Carbs aren't unhealthy as part of a balanced diet. What 'healthier' choices were you thinking about?
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

"Low-carb" generally works because it creates a calorie deficit, as carb-filled foods generally don't stick with you as long as protein, so you may end up eating more overall. I wouldn't recommend necessarily going low-carb, but you can reduce them a bit to find a good balance, if you're currently eating a lot of carbs.

When you are breastfeeding, you will burn between 200 and 500 calories a day just from making milk. If you want to reduce your calories, make sure to accommodate those calories. Cutting your calories too drastically will result in two things: your weight loss will stall, and you may become malnourished. The baby will get the nutrients he/she needs, because your body is focused on nourishing the baby, but if you're not eating enough nutritious food, you may lose out. Extreme cases can result in your body leaching calcium and other minerals from your bones to ensure the baby is getting enough.

If you're not already, make sure you're taking prenatal vitamins until you are done nursing. Drink plenty of water, even more than is typically recommended for you, to ensure that you don't become dehydrated. Mild dehydration over a long period of time can be harmful to you. And make sure you are eating at least 1500 calories a day, or more if you need to based on your height, weight, and activity level. A drastic calorie deficit during this time is not going to be healthy for you.

Check out www.kellymom.com if you want more specific stuff. It was a valuable resource for me when I was nursing.
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    As a mom who breastfed two children, I wouldn't do it.
    You can cut back on obvious junky carbs - no chocolate muffins or pasta in cream sauce.
    But I wouldn't go on a specifically low-carb diet. First of all, you don't have to. You can work whole grains, root vegetables, fruits, etc, into a healthy, lean diet. You can have a slice of wheat toast and low-fat fruit yogurt for breakfast, and a bowl of rice with dinner, and still keep to a relatively low calorie count.
    Breastmilk has more carb in it than protein or fat. You kid needs the carbs. And -- trust someone whose kids are now toddlers -- you will need the energy to keep up.
  • PlumpKitten
    Options
    I hope you don't mind.
    I just peeped into your diary and saw 2 cans of soda and candy!
    Nothing wrong with it -- I'm not judging.
    But if you mean "low carb" like "I'm going to stop having soda and candy" -- then yeah, you're probably OK.
    :)
  • FatStephanie15
    FatStephanie15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind.
    I just peeped into your diary and saw 2 cans of soda and candy!
    Nothing wrong with it -- I'm not judging.
    But if you mean "low carb" like "I'm going to stop having soda and candy" -- then yeah, you're probably OK.
    :)

I don't mind.
    Today is my first day back tracking. I'm using it as a "normal" day, for myself, so I can see just how much I actually am taking in vs. how much I am actually taking in. But yes...that's essentially what I mean. Taking out I guess "bad carbs" I.E....white sandwich bread pasta, muffins, candy, surgery drinks, fried food....and replacing those with more whole grains, veggies, lean proteins.

Thank you all for the imput. :) I'm shooting for 1800 Calories a day (my diary says 1600...that's set to a 1lb/wk weight loss) am hoping this will create enough of a deficit to start loosing.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I would think if you're getting enough calories it wouldn't effect your supply. I had to increase my calories recently because I felt like my supply was dropping. They say breastfeeding burns between 300-500 calories a day so you have to take that into consideration when you eat.
  • PlumpKitten
    Options
    1,800 calories is plenty. While you don't want to starve your kid or have milk supply drop, you also don't want to use breastfeeding as an excuse to eat an enormous amount of calories.

I generally lose at 1,200. I added 300-400 / day when breastfeeding - but that still only brought me up to 1600. My milk was fine at that. (I am a small woman, so obviously adjust that to your own needs).

When you said "low-carb", I didn't know if you meant one of those insane diets where you can't even put croutons on your salad, or have a bowl of fruit.

If you mean taking out obvious junk food, sweets and starches -- yeah, you're perfectly fine. It's not like you need pizza and chocolate muffins to have enough nutrients. But you do need healthy carbs like fruit, veg and grain.

Also, as you've already been nursing for 7 months, you know what a normal, healthy supply is like. If you really drop too low, you will notice.