Rutabaga

LaSirena29
LaSirena29 Posts: 84
edited September 22 in Recipes
We usually have mashed rutabaga at Thanksgiving, but never any other time. This year we had a couple that we didn't boil and mash. I thought I would have some for dinner the other night, but wanted to check the nutritional info first. Boy, was I surprised at how good their numbers are. I compared them to both potatoes & sweet potatoes and here's the numbers that surprised me.

For 250g (that's what my half a rutabaga weighted)

Calories
Potato 193
S.Potato 215
Rutabaga 90

Carbs
Potato 43 (fiber 5)
S.Potato 50 (fiber 7)
Rutabaga 20 (fiber 8)

They are also a really good natural source of Vitamin C. After I looked at the nutritional information, I decided I was going to be adding them to my meals more often. Instead of boiling and mashing them (the only way I had ever had them), I decided to try roasting them. They came out great. I think I like them even better.

Rutabaga are very hard and sometimes hard to cut. The key is to cut them in half, using a strong, sharp knife first. They you can peal them. They usually have a wax coating, so I find that it's best to have a damp paper towel handy to clean the knife often. I cut mine about a 1/4" thick, the size of steak fries, but I think you could also cut them into chunks.

I put them into a ziploc bag with about 1tsp olive oil, a pinch of salt and 1tsp nutmeg. Smoosh them (very technical term) around until they are fully coated. Spread them on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.

Replies

• Yummmmmm! Thanks for the info!
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Thanks for posting, I tried a mashed rutabaga about a month ago and didn't really care for the texture, so roasting sounds much better!
This discussion has been closed.