No carb/Detox for a few days...advice, tips, opinions?

Options
Okay I do already eat pretty healthy. However I am thinking of going on a detox cleanse, as in no carbs or just cutting back on carbs and having mainly whole foods like fruits, vegetables, Greek yogurt, water, you know things that flush through your system fairly quickly and well.

Anyone have or had any great results with this? Or is there anyone who believes this is not safe? I am trying to lose 15 pounds and think if I do this for two days each week it would help me reach my goals. I also workout up to three hours a day in the morning.

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say it's unhealthy or unsafe, just a completely and utter waste of your freaking time and energy.

Just eat. you have a working liver and kidneys, right? The 'detox' isnt going to clean anything from your body that it isn't already cleaning out on its own.

Oh, and fruit, vegetables, etc. are carbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say it's unhealthy or unsafe, just a completely and utter waste of your freaking time and energy.

Just eat. you have a working liver and kidneys, right? The 'detox' isnt going to clean anything from your body that it isn't already cleaning out on its own.

Oh, and fruit, vegetables, etc. are carbs.
    Couldn't have said it any better. :smile:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I've heard of dumber things, but not many. This is a good way to make yourself miserable without any benefits. Also, you don't seem to know what a carb is.
  • Cher1e1n2
    Cher1e1n2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    most detox encourage using citric juices and such which completely go against low carb diets. I restrict my carbs to 20 net (where you subtract fiber) when trying to lose weight and <30 when maintaining. There are lots of veggie choices but in moderation..low carbs will help you lose.. but not if you try to do both... i'm crunching the numbers in my head and it's a complete contradiction. I've never not lost to my goal following a low carb diet... I just don't always follow what my body needs.
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    Okay I truthfully had no idea fruits were considered a carb? But mainly I always seemed to believe carbs were things like pasta and breads. Now I'm lost.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are make-believe.
    Veggies and fruit have carbs.

But I don't think it's a bad idea to shake up things by cutting out starchy carbs. I wouldn't though as I'm a low-carber anyway. Cut pasta, rice, bread, corn (and other starchy veggies). Obviously no sugar. Stick with the low-carb fruits. It's not a bad idea. You might find you like it and that it works for you.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You just need to create a calorie deficit. You can do this without having to eliminate things like pastas, breads, etc.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Okay I truthfully had no idea fruits were considered a carb? But mainly I always seemed to believe carbs were things like pasta and breads. Now I'm lost.

Carbohydrates are a class of substances found in foods - including sugars and starches.

What are called "carbs" in what I shall irritatingly call "women's magazines" are foods like pasta and bread that are largely carbohydrate and typically yellow / brown.
  • joeandcarmen
    joeandcarmen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You sound very motivated and on the right track. I am so proud of you! Fruits have sugars in them which are carbs. Flour, corn meal, things like that break down into sugar so they are carbs. Corn and peas? Carbs Also dried beans. All break down into sugar.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Do you not log your food? Surely you see when you add fruit that it's mainly carbs?
  • beatrycze
    Options
    The thing with carbs is that there are different kinds of carbohydrates. Carbs fuel your body and eating them is especially important if you work out (they help your muscles grow).
    If you want to lose weight, I'd recommend cutting down on the simple carbs. Your daily carbs intake should mainly consist of complex carbs, mostly vegetables and low-carb fruits. If you want to, I guess you could cut down pasta and breads for some time. In the long run though it's not wrong to start eating them again, as long as you switch to the healthier options, such as whole grain pasta.
  • baconslave
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/carbohydrates

Try this. I don't agree with everything. But it is a good starting place. Info is power. :smile:

Fruits, veggies, flour, milk, all have carbs. Carbohydrates are sugars. They affect your blood glucose level. Your body generally doesn't care where the sugars come from. There are fruit sugars, milk sugars, veggie sugars, starch sugars. But to your body, sugars are sugars. That said, things like veggies, are lower in carbs, sugars, so they are better for you. Fruits are higher, flour and refined grains are higher still. Sweeteners are even worse.

You might want to investigate the glycemic index, which is basically a list of how foods affect blood glucose. The lower the GI value, the better it is for your blood sugar. Wonky blood sugars mess up weight loss and energy level. Lower on the index foods generally tend to be lower in calories and more full of vitamins and minerals you need.

And for the record. I keep my carbs lower than 30g/daily. I have no problems working out twice a day. Plenty of energy during my workouts. If you are having trouble, it's because your fat is TOO LOW. They know now that fat isn't bad. Too many calories, and way too many bad carbs, make you fat. The correct ratio of fats, protein and carbs makes sure you have enough energy.

Read up a bit and it will start to make sense.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Okay I do already eat pretty healthy. However I am thinking of going on a detox cleanse, as in no carbs or just cutting back on carbs and having mainly whole foods like fruits, vegetables, Greek yogurt, water, you know things that flush through your system fairly quickly and well.

Anyone have or had any great results with this? Or is there anyone who believes this is not safe? I am trying to lose 15 pounds and think if I do this for two days each week it would help me reach my goals. I also workout up to three hours a day in the morning.

Low carb only works as a long term strategy and will prolly be of no benefit health wise short term. If you've got to drop a few pounds for something in particular it can help as you will lose extra water weight, but this will come straight back when you re-introduce carbs.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    (snip)
    Read up a bit and it will start to make sense .
    Bacon;

Eternal optimist, eh?

"Reading Up..." might cause one to question MYTH - simply unacceptable!
  • baconslave
    Options
    (snip)
    Read up a bit and it will start to make sense .
    Bacon;

Eternal optimist, eh?

"Reading Up..." might cause one to question MYTH - simply unacceptable!

I must be insane, given all the evidence by humanity to the contrary that there is always a glimmer of hope that innate intelligence can be resurrected. But sometimes...sometimes they do "wake up." Sadly, most people just take the pill that makes them forget. It IS easier.