Anyone esle like Fantasy and Sci-Fi books?

Options
To start I am a big fan of the Game of Thrones books. Readying the Hunger games books now. I love to read and would like to have some friends that read also. What books are you reading now.

Replies

• feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Not so much fantasy but I love Sci-Fi books. I am finishing up Hyperion by Dan Simmons and have the rest of the series on my shelf waiting for me.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I am read the divergent series, the Fae Fever series.
  • srd_23
    srd_23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am a big Fantasy and Sci-Fi reader. Some favorites are Game of Thrones (of course), I did read the Hunger Games and thought they were pretty good, I also like Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series. Hell, I've read too many books I liked to even list them here. I used to read all the time, but now I have a 2 hour commute each way (at the least) so I've been doing audio books instead. I have an Audible membership and I think I have about 70 books now.

Currently I am reading Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep, and so far I'm not super impressed. Main character seems to have no real flaws, and the tortured past is slightly cliche. Before that I read Helen Harper's Blood Magic series, which I thought was quite good.
  • kris197477
    kris197477 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Divergent is next on my list. Enders Game is one of my favorites. I didn't read the others in the series.
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I didn't really like Divergent that much. You need to read Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's amazing!! :) Next on my list is the Dresden Files. Happy reading everyone :)
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Divergent is on my list for the next series I read.

My fave author is a Canadian guy, Robert j. Sawyer. His books are very sciencey...if thats even a word.

Check him out, you can read free chapters on his website. Www.sfwriter.com

I promise you will enjoy.
  • kris197477
    Options
    I like Rothfuss. I read the first 2 books of the kingkiller chronicles. I can't wait till the last is out.
  • dartk
    dartk Posts: 2
    Options
    Love Sci-Fi and Fantasy. The Wheel of Time is my favorite fantasy book series, and I'm re-reading it for probably the tenth time right now. As far as Sci-Fi, my favorite is Dune, and if you haven't read it, shame on you.
  • kris197477
    Options
    I read the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I think it is up to 12-13 books. I tried Dune, but at the time I wasn't into Sci-Fi. I plan to read them.
  • Omnidir
    Omnidir Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am on the third book in the WOOL series. My preference is Audio books... allows for moving when you are "reading". I also use Audible, concentrating on books that I can get cheaper than the credit price.
    The first is

Wool: Silo, #1; Wool, #1-5 By Hugh Howey
    In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. There, men and women live in a society full of regulations they believe are meant to protect them. Sheriff Holston, who has unwaveringly upheld the silo’s rules for years, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: He asks to go outside.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    YES! Really liked Enders Game and others from that series. I loved Animorphs as a kid (and sometimes they're fun to read again as an adult). I've read the first few of the Fae Fever series, have a couple more on my bookshelves to get up to date. House of Night, Wicked Lovely, Heir series (Warrior Heir, Wizard Heir, Dragon Heir...), Belgariad and Mallorean by David Eddings, Enchanted Forest Chronicles, enjoyed Harry Potter. I read the Game of Thrones, but haven't continued the series; didn't really get into it. Always up for a recommendation.
  • CherylMatthews66
    CherylMatthews66 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I LOVE fantasy books. My favourite author is Terry Goodkind :) I've never read the Game of Thrones though
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Anything by Neil Gaiman. And of course, the Dark Tower series.
  • HisStrengthCounselor
    HisStrengthCounselor Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites: Terry Brooks series, Clive Barker ' s Imajica, R.A Salvatore ' s The Dark Elf series
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I enjoy some fantasy & sci-fi books. I didn't like The Hunger Games series (but still read them all....had to know how it ended).
    I enjoy Neil Gaiman, Terry Goodkind (have only read the first 2 of the long, long series), John Wyndham and have read the first 2 of the Ender series (very good).
    One book I loved and always recommend is The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. There's a sequel, The Children of God, which I haven't read yet but hear is just as wonderful.
    There are just too many books to list. :D
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I'm reading MaddAddam, the third in a series by Margaret Atwood (the woman who wrote The Handmaid's Tale, another great syfi.) The first in the trilogy, Oryx and Crake, was really good. I highly recommend it.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Robin hobb and terry pratchet are my favourite fantasy authors. I loved the sookie stackhouse books too.

Getting really annoyed waiting for the last GoT book!
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons is absolutely stunning. Very clever, thought provoking and enjoyable.
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have just finished reading The Hunting Games Trilogy which only took me a week to read all as could not put the books down. Have enjoyed Twilight series, House of Night series, Vampire Academy, The Morganville Vampires. So many more as well. Love reading :-)
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Love the Dark Tower Series!! For all of you book lovers that also enjoy gaming I strongly are conned Ready Player One. It's full of Atari and 80's pop culture references. A great book you can read in a weekend :)