I need a nutritionist STAT

Options
Ok my MFPee-ers,
I need some help. I'm finding myself watching my sodium intake, fat intake, attempting to get 100 g of protien a day and in the process am not getting enough calories. That said I've plateaued. I hate the term starvation mode because I'm clearly not starving myself (I eat) but I fear I may be there. I've bloated a couple pounds but the scale has not budged in almost a month. The problem that I'm running into is that I can't physically consume enough to meet my calories once I work out. I find it REALLY difficult to hit 1200 somedays. I'm RARELY hungry. I have a desk job but outside of there I'm relatively active. I was just told I should be eating closer to 1600 a day on work out days. Without hitting a fast food joint I'm having a hard time getting there. Would some genius look at my diary and give me some suggestions. I log pretty faithfully and if you look back through this week it's a pretty good example of how I eat.

That's in advance for you help!!
:drinker:

Edited to add: I'm allergic to wheat, barley, rye, tree nuts, most tree fruit (excluding citrus and bananas), regular potatoes, carrots & celery and whole host of other things so it gets a little tougher.

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    looking over this and with all your allergies it seems that the days youmay need to add large protein portions and see if that helps ie instead of only 2oz of chickken maybe 4 or 6 also all the fat free adds extra carbs to make it palatable. it looks like you can afford the real deal. what are you doing to burn 895 calories? wow also are you listed as active or sedentary. this could make a difference also how many days a week did you put down for exercise on your goals. MFP takes those exercise cals allready into your daily cal allowence. you may be double counting them if you add them to your allotment daily.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    looking over this and with all your allergies it seems that the days youmay need to add large protein portions and see if that helps ie instead of only 2oz of chickken maybe 4 or 6 also all the fat free adds extra carbs to make it palatable. it looks like you can afford the real deal. what are you doing to burn 895 calories? wow also are you listed as active or sedentary. this could make a difference also how many days a week did you put down for exercise on your goals. MFP takes those exercise cals allready into your daily cal allowence. you may be double counting them if you add them to your allotment daily.

Agreed. I eat two servings of 8oz of chicken a day. Yes a pound a day, just to eat enough calories. Now mind you.. It is not easy to eat all of it. I am rarely hungry also. But I know my body needs it.

Just think about how you don't want to lose your muscle!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options

I wish they made the exercise diaries public... Yesterday was a 3 mile run and then I went dancing (put in an hour of dancing but it was really more like 2-3). The dancing is a sweaty sweaty adventure. I'm at the gym 5 days a week (I've added 2 days where I double- an 30 minute run in the AM and then the regular work out in the PM), I do a minimum hour of cardio in addition to strength training.

I initially set my diary to "lightly active" based on the fact that I walk or ride my bike everywhere (except work) and I never log THAT. I changed it to sedentary & put the work outs in and it still only gave me 1200 cals. I think part of the problem is that it assumes I'm 194 and fluffly. I'm 194 but my body fat percentage is 22% I'm on the heavy end of "normal" and it's calculating me as obese. That stupid scale is not intended for athletes. :grumble:

I know it's not double adding the cals, the way it works is it assumes the cals as though you don't work out and that's why when you do and add those cals it bumps up the cals in your diary. According to MFP you should consume 1200 net that's cals put in minus cals burned. it should still come up to 1200. I look at my net cals and I'm around 200-500 on average which is why I fear the "S". :ohwell:
  • rnroadrunner
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/133344-body-fat-vs-scale-weight

check this out if you are allready 22%

what % do you want to be?
  • msbanana
    Options
    My goal is 18%.
  • rnroadrunner
    Options
    focus on the % and not the scale. keep up the good work
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    First of all, I looked at your diaries and you need to start logging your strength training in the cardio section too so that you count those calories too. Yeah, I realize that is going to increase your calorie needs even more, but you have to be 100% honest about your calorie needs to be able to see the best results. After looking at your workouts, I think you are right in that you need to increase your calorie intake dramatically because you have too large of a deficit to lose body fat. With your allergies, I'm not really sure what to tell you to add to what you are eating. I don't see anything wrong with what you are eating, but maybe you could try doubling up on portion sizes to add some extra calories of things you already know are safe. I wouldn't add too much too soon, though, or you'll get sick. Maybe add an extra 100 calories a day for the first week, then add another 100 calories a day for the next week, etc. until you get up to where you need to be.
  • rnroadrunner
    Options
    you say you are allergic to tree nuts, does this mean you can eat peanuts? If you could that would be a great addition to your diet being so calorie dense.
  • marsbar_0789
    Options
    BUMP
  • rayfromtx
    Options
    Those allergies are toughies. I don't think this problem of not getting enough calories is hard though. My dinner was wild rice, grilled shrimp and salad. Beans and rice, meats and cheeses, I'd say pound the protein for awhile. Now if you said you were a vegan as well, I'd be clueless but go hunter gatherer on this and you should do fine.

Let's chat about some recipes if you want or just glance back at my diary. I'll be eating more calories in the coming months as I approach my goal weight so my cooking is going to get a little looser in the carbs and fats departments as well as just an overall greater freedom to make choices. We can team up if you want.
  • msbanana
    Options
    Ray, I'd like a team mate. :)
    I was looking back at your diary and I was thinkin "That looks like a WHOLE LOTTA food..." but some new recipes would be awesome as would any input. Thanks again for being my pal!!

Tony: I'll take your advice and add an extra few cals to each meal. When I try to eat tons more than I normally do I do feel really sick and then don't want to eat at all which is counter productive.

Road runner: Based on my allergies although I will eat peanuts sometimes and don't have a reaction I've been told to avoid them as the reaction to others are so bad... (hives in the mouth and throat are one of those things you try not to have happen often.) My doc was concerned that I'd develop an allergy as they are the most common to have an allergy to.

On a side note I was talking to my boy this evening about my conundrum and his response was "I wondered when that would happen... you're definately not eating enough. I wasn't going to say anything but yeah, you need to eat more." I'm always the last to figure this stuff out.
  • rayfromtx
    Options
    I was thinkin the same thing but didn't want to butt in where not invited. That is so unlike me. I usually butt in anyway but perhaps now that my butt is gone, things are changing.

Today's menu:
    Smoked Cornish hen (I'll smoke 12 and freeze the extra for later)
    Wild rice with skinny chicken gravy
    Steamed broccoli and cauliflower from the garden
    Salad (lettuce and spinach from the garden)
    with balsamic reduction dressing
    Berry salad

Six o'clock in the morning and I'm thinkin about dinner. Might have something to do with how I gained 50 lbs in the first place.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ok my MFPee-ers,
    I need some help. I'm finding myself watching my sodium intake, fat intake, attempting to get 100 g of protien a day and in the process am not getting enough calories. That said I've plateaued. I hate the term starvation mode because I'm clearly not starving myself (I eat) but I fear I may be there. I've bloated a couple pounds but the scale has not budged in almost a month. The problem that I'm running into is that I can't physically consume enough to meet my calories once I work out. I find it REALLY difficult to hit 1200 somedays. I'm RARELY hungry. I have a desk job but outside of there I'm relatively active. I was just told I should be eating closer to 1600 a day on work out days. Without hitting a fast food joint I'm having a hard time getting there. Would some genius look at my diary and give me some suggestions. I log pretty faithfully and if you look back through this week it's a pretty good example of how I eat.

That's in advance for you help!!
    :drinker:

Edited to add: I'm allergic to wheat, barley, rye, tree nuts, most tree fruit (excluding citrus and bananas), regular potatoes, carrots & celery and whole host of other things so it gets a little tougher.

With all the allergies you have, you would benefit most from a higher fat, moderate protein, lower carb approcach (eating the fruits and veggies your not allergic to).

If you have questions, please send me a message and I will be glad to assist you further. I am a newly certified Holistic Nutrition Coach.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Those allergies are toughies. I don't think this problem of not getting enough calories is hard though. My dinner was wild rice, grilled shrimp and salad. Beans and rice, meats and cheeses, I'd say pound the protein for awhile. Now if you said you were a vegan as well, I'd be clueless but go hunter gatherer on this and you should do fine.

Let's chat about some recipes if you want or just glance back at my diary. I'll be eating more calories in the coming months as I approach my goal weight so my cooking is going to get a little looser in the carbs and fats departments as well as just an overall greater freedom to make choices. We can team up if you want.

Yes, the Paleo approach (hunter / gatherer) to eating would benefit the Original Poster GREATLY!!!