Just diagnosed with Pre-diabetes

Options
2»

Replies

• crymsnroze
    crymsnroze Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was just today was diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance or pre-diabetes.

For the last three weeks I've been experiencing what seems to be daily symptoms of slight dizziness, tremors, anxiety (lump in throat), headaches, and others on occasion like sweats, palpitations, etc. Unsure if the anxiety itself is a result of pre-diabetes or if it is just from dealing with the other symptoms so long.

Looking for a way to stop these symptoms by trying diet and exercise. Next step would be to schedule a tilt table test (my blood pressure has been normal every time I visit the doctor).

If anyone else has other opinions or recommendations, I'd be glad to read them flowerforyou
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I was just today was diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance or pre-diabetes.

For the last three weeks I've been experiencing what seems to be daily symptoms of slight dizziness, tremors, anxiety (lump in throat), headaches, and others on occasion like sweats, palpitations, etc. Unsure if the anxiety itself is a result of pre-diabetes or if it is just from dealing with the other symptoms so long.

Looking for a way to stop these symptoms by trying diet and exercise. Next step would be to schedule a tilt table test (my blood pressure has been normal every time I visit the doctor).

If anyone else has other opinions or recommendations, I'd be glad to read them flowerforyou
    221PD;
    First, no one here is a Doc (at least as far as I know), and next, you're going to have to provide a lot more detail if anyone can attempt to offer possible suggestions for you.

Open your food diary and since you appear to be a very new member, start tracking every morsel of food intake - every day, if you haven't already. Without at least a couple weeks worth of data it's not very accurate.

Don't worry about tracking exercise for the time being, focus on food intake.

Next, what did the Drs (or whoever it was that diagnosed your glucose tolerance impairment) say about your BP, current weight, and the various symptoms you describe?

Was their exact diagnosis "impaired glucose tolerance" or did they use other terms?

My understanding (as a layperson) of the tilt table is that it's primarily used where the patient experiences otherwise unexplained fainting occurrences which you didn't indicate that you are, but, if your Docs indicated that should be your next step, certainly go ahead with and let us know the results.

Light to moderate exercise is always good advice (except in extreme situations) but more for overall general health and wellness reasons (as opposed to weight loss reasons). Recent clinical study results show little to no benefit of cardio exercise as it relates specifically to weight loss.

Diet, however, IS extremely important but more so from the type of diet you select.

There is NO, "one diet fits all", perfect plan and from the limited amount of detail you've provided it would be impossible to recommend anything more specific but at this point it sounds like a low carb plan might be best.

Did your Drs provide any kind of guidance as to diet plan?

If low carb interests you, I'd suggest you join the Low Carb group here on MFP that is dedicated to LC and has a great deal of information and folks currently using that method.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I will share my story with you, just to say what is possible for anyone. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes probably about 10-12 years ago. I was allowed to control it with diet and exercise for a while then, for whatever reason, I stopped taking care of myself the way I should and I gained a ton of weight and ended up on two different diabetes medications. For years my A1c would go up and down and up again. My doctor kept warning me that it will continue to get worse. One of the medications that I was taking had a side effect of weight gain, so I continued to gain weight all this time. About 2 years ago, I weighed 269lbs, and had an A1c of 11.2. I finally convinced my doctor that I needed to switch up some medicine, which he did, but added a third medication. I really made an effort to start tracking my food intake, getting regular exercise all year round and concentrating on getting healthy. Within about six months, I was able to discontinue one of the medications I was taking and had dropped my A1c down to 6.6. About six months after that I was able to drop the second med and the A1c was down to around 6.2. Now, almost two years later, I have cut the last medication dose in half- literally, because I now take half a pill in the am and half a pill in the pm, and my A1c is now 5.6. My goal is to be off all medication by the end of the year and my doctor says that I am making very good progress towards that goal. Now, this was/is a lot to go through, and in hind sight I wish that I had listened and done everything right from the beginning. My best advice is to weigh/measure what you eat, log everything and exercise regularly- year round. Learn from my mistakes and don't make the same ones. Add me if you want to. Best regards!
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you do want to get information on the internet, this is a good source http://www.diabetes.org/ - it is for the American Diabetes Association.
  • dfwearthmama
    Options
    Hello :) I was diagnosed yesterday with pre diabetes. It is totally scary. My MIL had type 2, did not manage it well, got a gastric bypass then found out she had glioblastoma multiforme brain cancer, and because of the gastric she could eat enough healthy food to help her body fight and comeback from the radiation and chemo, she passed away three months later- i cried the whole way home from doc because i dont want to be her. I started researching the ketogenic diet, and have made a few modifications. I have started a 40 min exercise routine of 20 mins of hip hop abs and 20 mins of brisk walking and monitor every thing that i eat. I love to cook and I love food so I know I have a struggle on my hand to maintain but I am determined. I want to be healthy. I am here with you. We can beat this and we will be awesome at it! Hugs
  • shellypaints
    shellypaints Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    read the works of neal barnard and john mcdougall. Carbs aren't the bad guy.

This is the perfect way for a pre-diabetic to become fully diabetic. Your advice is dangerous and irresponsible.

For those of us who are glucose intolerant, pre-diabetic, and diabetic carbs ARE the bad guy.
  • shellypaints
    Options
    I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and glucose intolerant a month ago. I am on medication, started with metformin but was switched to glumetza after a bad reaction to the metformin. I am also on a carb restricted diet. I am allowed between 30-40 grams of carbs per meal and 10-15 grams for snacks. I have a list of foods to not eat and they include...

grains and grain products such as; pasta, cereals, breads, pastries, oatmeal, rice, etc

vegetables such as; potatoes, winter squash, carrots, english peas, corn, etc

fruits such as; melons, pineapple, mangos, bananas, etc

So by eliminating the above items my calorie intake is almost always a couple hundred less than what is allotted <1500. I also have become quite adept at looking for the carb content on labels as well. I have found one brand of flavored yogurt that is lower than 25 grams of carbs per serving all others including greek yogurts are around or above 30 grams. I am unable to tolerate the taste of plain yogurt just yet - I'm getting there but it's not easy.

I have also discovered that organic whole milk has fewer carbs than skim milk. So for us that are battling pre diabetes and diabetes not all calories are created equal; for us carbs are bad.
  • markstar69
    markstar69 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it or if your insurance will cover I do recommend a referral (by your Doctor) for a Diabetes seminar where you can learn about diabetes and how to drop your A1C to below pre-diabetes levels. I took a seminar at a local medical center and now I'm working with a nutritionist on my diet. I'm on a low carb, high protein food plan with reduced calories. I've seen good results and my blood sugar levels have gone down dramatically in a short period of time. I'll take another A1C in about two months and my goal is to be below 5.5
    Logging on MTP has been a great help in tracking.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and glucose intolerant a month ago. I am on medication, started with metformin but was switched to glumetza after a bad reaction to the metformin. I am also on a carb restricted diet. I am allowed between 30-40 grams of carbs per meal and 10-15 grams for snacks. I have a list of foods to not eat and they include...

grains and grain products such as; pasta, cereals, breads, pastries, oatmeal, rice, etc

So by eliminating the above items my calorie intake is almost always a couple hundred less than what is allotted <1500. I also have become quite adept at looking for the carb content on labels as well. I have found one brand of flavored yogurt that is lower than 25 grams of carbs per serving all others including greek yogurts are around or above 30 grams. I am unable to tolerate the taste of plain yogurt just yet - I'm getting there but it's not easy.

I have also discovered that organic whole milk has fewer carbs than skim milk. So for us that are battling pre diabetes and diabetes not all calories are created equal; for us carbs are bad.
    Shelly;

Try this:
    http://tinyurl.com/ks5oktc

It's plain, greek, whole milk (7 net carbs/3/4 cup)
    Mash up 10 raspberries and mix them in = 8 carbs (total) + yummmmmmmm

As far as your "forbidden foods" - have a look here:
    http://tinyurl.com/ptlv7ur

It should come up to page 13 but if it doesn't that's the page you need.

Almost 100 years ago - 1917, your grandma (or Great GrandMa) knew what worked, even the Docs knew.

Why does the current crop of "experts" (for the most part) STILL not "git it"?
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I gained 111 lbs on antidepressants so I feel your pain.

I'm not pre-diabetic or diabetic but I have insulin resistance and hypoglycemia and follow a diet similar to those with diabetes.

-No simple carbohydrates (cereal, cookies, cake, cheesecake, candy, juices, etc.)
    -Complex carbohydrates only (oatmeal, sweet potatoes, veggies, fruits, brown rice, whole grain pasta/bread)
    -Never eat carbs alone- ALWAYS pair with protein and fat
    -Do not eat more than 30 grams of carbs per meal; no more than 15 grams of carbs per snack
    -Nuts/seeds and cheese sticks are great for snacks. If you want an apple for a snack, pair it with peanut butter. If you want a banana (I'm a banana addict), buy the smaller bananas (less carbs/sugar) and pair with PB.
    -Protein, protein, and more protein!!! (eggs, chicken, turkey, salmon, tilapia, tuna, red meat in moderation)
    -Legumes are a great source of protein and fiber for the days you don't want to eat meat
    -Pay close attention to your carb/sugar intake. You should aim to keep your carb intake at/less than 130-150 grams a day

+1 As a diabetic, I approve of this diet and try very hard to follow it.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    read the works of neal barnard and john mcdougall. Carbs aren't the bad guy.

I couldn't disagree more with the latter part of your statement. As a diabetic simple carbs (cakes, cookies, candy etc) and even some "good" carbs are very much the "bad guy" and I don't need to read anyone's book to figure it out. If I eat the carbs, then read my monitor in the morning it tells me everything I need to know.

OP, try www.bloodsugar101.com it has some really awesome advise.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    I will share my story with you, just to say what is possible for anyone. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes probably about 10-12 years ago. I was allowed to control it with diet and exercise for a while then, for whatever reason, I stopped taking care of myself the way I should and I gained a ton of weight and ended up on two different diabetes medications. For years my A1c would go up and down and up again. My doctor kept warning me that it will continue to get worse. One of the medications that I was taking had a side effect of weight gain, so I continued to gain weight all this time. About 2 years ago, I weighed 269lbs, and had an A1c of 11.2. I finally convinced my doctor that I needed to switch up some medicine, which he did, but added a third medication. I really made an effort to start tracking my food intake, getting regular exercise all year round and concentrating on getting healthy. Within about six months, I was able to discontinue one of the medications I was taking and had dropped my A1c down to 6.6. About six months after that I was able to drop the second med and the A1c was down to around 6.2. Now, almost two years later, I have cut the last medication dose in half- literally, because I now take half a pill in the am and half a pill in the pm, and my A1c is now 5.6. My goal is to be off all medication by the end of the year and my doctor says that I am making very good progress towards that goal. Now, this was/is a lot to go through, and in hind sight I wish that I had listened and done everything right from the beginning. My best advice is to weigh/measure what you eat, log everything and exercise regularly- year round. Learn from my mistakes and don't make the same ones. Add me if you want to. Best regards!

Great job, well done! :flowerforyou:
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Look on the bright side, isn't everyone pre-diabetic until they get diabeetus?

Not really. There are lots of people who have perfectly normal blood sugar.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how shocking this diagnosis can be. About 6 months ago, I got the same diagnosis -- A1C in pre-diabetic zone and I was only 30-40 lbs over my idea weight (being 5'9" it didn't look like much). Over 40% of US adults have insulin resistance in the diabetic and pre-diabetic ranges and most don't know it -- you and I are far from alone in this. Though, in my case, my doctor thinks it's a result of a long untreated thyroid disorder. This is what worked for me:

(1) Getting proper medication for the thyroid and insulin resistance (my doc said I could go either way on the IR, but I opted for metformin)
    (2) Eating a primal diet -- a more relaxed version of Paleo that allows dairy where I specifically watch my carb intake. Primal doesn't have to be reduced carb, but I do that for the IR. I don't generally eat grains, pasta, pastries, etc. any more and look to keep my overall carbs at 100 g/day or less. I don't miss the grains/pasta/bread/etc. for the most part and was pleasantly surprised by how much better I feel without them in my diet. They were likely triggering my thyroid issue as well
    (3) Lots of low level cardio like walking and hiking - - helps with insulin sensitivity
    (4) Lifting heavy twice per week and a weekly sprint (HIIT) session

For me, this resulted in finally losing weight like a "normal" person -- in line with my expected calorie deficits. This also made a HUGE difference in how I felt and my sugar/carb cravings. The cravings are virtually gone and I find eating this way to be really easy for me. It's often like French cuisine without the bread -- lots of great proteins, decadent sauces, butter, cream, veggies, fruits, etc.

My A1C has been decreasing as I've lost the weight, but my doc doesn't want to take me off the metformin until I get down to my ideal weight (which is probably another 10-15 lbs). Then, we'll take me off it and see if my A1C will stay down. He said it's possible that this will reverse it, but we won't know until then. Good luck and feel free to PM if you'd like.
  • shellypaints
    Options

Shelly;

Try this:
    http://tinyurl.com/ks5oktc

It's plain, greek, whole milk (7 net carbs/3/4 cup)
    Mash up 10 raspberries and mix them in = 8 carbs (total) + yummmmmmmm

As far as your "forbidden foods" - have a look here:
    http://tinyurl.com/ptlv7ur

It should come up to page 13 but if it doesn't that's the page you need.

Almost 100 years ago - 1917, your grandma (or Great GrandMa) knew what worked, even the Docs knew.

Why does the current crop of "experts" (for the most part) STILL not "git it"?

Wow that's pretty much how the endocrinologist I see laid it out to me. :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have been getting into dr.mcdougall's recommendations. He isn't totally out there, and has plenty of science and research in his lectures. (Available on youtube)

his diet is based on whole starch foods, with the inclusion of vegetables, beans,and fruit. Cutting out oils, fats,and animal foods (especially those high in fat).

I have GERD, and eating a diet high in starchy carbs and very low in fat makes me feel so much better. I am slim as well.

My husband was prediabetic, but is now out of that range. He eats about the same as me (so many carbs!)but eats trail mix in the evening to keep weight on. He is also slim.

We used to eat a lot of cheese, meat, and shwanns ice cream, with our spoons in the tub! Lots of homebaked cookies too. It was a delicious, and heart burn-y time in my life. I was also 175lbs then. So yeah, not going back anytime soon.
  • stronghealthywoman
    stronghealthywoman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My advise is look into Dr.McDougall, Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr T. Campbell and Dr. Esselstyn.

They recommend a whole food plant based nutrition. How could a plant-base nutrition not make sense or help cure disease.

The body is very intelligent that with the proper foods it can help it self.

Look at the different documentaries there is with people being cured of cancer, if they beat cancer with nutrition, why not diabetes?
    I suggest watching Fork over Knives, Fat, sick and nearly dead and The Gerson Miracle.

Also any vegetable is a CARB!, a good carb!, so since when are vegetables bad for you?!

I say stay away from simple carbs, sugar, processed foods and anything that is not giving life to your life!

I have been on a raw-vegan/juicing lifestyle for 2 years now and I have lost over 50lbs.

This lifestyle will be change to your life, the good kind.

Do the research and you will see for yourself!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be, if you haven't already, go to an endocrinologist and get a full work up done, there may be more to it than being pre diabetic, then see a registered dietician who specializes in diabetic care, and get on a good (for you) exercise regimen.

I gained 40 lbs in a year, I was working out 6 days a week (good balance of cardio and strength training) I had actually gone to the dietician at that point and was put on a 1700 calorie a day food plan because I really stink at counting calories and tracking, she gave me a food plan that was a balanced diet as long as I weigh and measure everything (I can do that, it's just the tracking I stinck at) but yet I was gaining. Went to the endocrinologist, and 14 tests later, it turned out I was insulin resistant and hypothyroid. She put me on levothyroxine and metformin. I called the dietician and asked her if I should make any changes to the food plan she had given me and she said that normally she would tell me to drop down to 1200 calories, but because of how much I work out, she didn't want me to change anything for a while, she said to keep it the same for now and see how it goes then start to drop 100 cals at a time if needed. By February my medication levels were evened out and I started losing weight. I've lost six lbs in about 5 months (not much by most people's standards here, but I'm fighting myself right now and I'm happy that I'm losing), as of my last blood tests, my c-peptide (test actually used for insulin resistance determination) is now in the normal range and holding. I may be able to start weaning off the metformin if the numbers continue to hold since I will now be able to manage my own insulin production/use.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. Have you talked to your doc about changing the Celexa to something else that might not affect your weight as much?