Poll! Five foods to live off and why?

Options
If you could only buy five different foods when you went grocery chopping, which would you get in order to have the highest nutrition possible?

I ask because I'm a college kid about to move into her first apartment. I had a big school meal plan last year but was still struggling with bingeing, so I never made it count and wasted money on eating out. I happened to be put on adhd meds this summer and they're changing my life in so many wonderful ways. For the first time ever, I can sense fullness, and my appetite is limited to the size of an average adult! Luckily I haven't lost weight, and I haven't gained any!
Anyway, I need to save some money and not blow through my cash in food like the past, and am planning my grocery lists.

(I will still have a small campus meal plan for the first semester, in case I fail horribly at feeding myself)

The staples I MUST have each week will be frozen veggies (cheap vegetables), eggs (cheap protein), oatmeal (cheap fiber and carbs), instant brown rice (same), and whole milk (cheap indulgence and calcium). My diet already revolves around these foods, and I know they can be combined well for various meals. I also have spare protein bars and shake mix I'll take with me for snacks.

Of course I'll buy other things, but those are what I'll be stocked on. I figure I'll also grab a little fresh produce (if I can budget it), canned fish, and/or another dairy source as I can afford each shopping trip. I might also invest in some preformed beef or other meat patties from costco, just to have in my freezer for fast meat.

What five things would you suggest I consider buying aside from my staples? I dance/run/work out quite a bit, and have a big campus to walk, so protein is quite important for me. I will also have a multivitamin. Thanks! I'm excited to hear your suggestions!

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm going into my senior year of undergrad. I'll be living in a college leased apartment - which means my own kitchen! Yay!
    While I'll have a small meal plan, I prefer to cook so I know exactly what's going into my food.

It sounds like we have similar staples:

-Plain (Unseasoned) Frozen vegetables
    - 2% or Full-Fat Greek yogurt
    - 1 or 2 % Milk
    -Old Fashioned Oats
    -Almonds and Walnuts
    -Instant Rice
    -Canned Beans
    -A few low sugar cereals (Kashi Go Lean and Plain Shredded Wheat)
    -Whole Wheat Pasta
    -Pasta Sauce
    -Canned Tomatoes
    -Chicken Bouillon Cubes
    -Whole Wheat Bread
    -Peanut Butter
    -Jelly
    -Eggs

There is a farmer's market open year round R/F/S about half a mile a way, and a Giant a mile away, so I plan on walking if I can't get a ride (I don't have a car).

I don't keep a lot of meat because it is expensive. IF anything I'll probably keep frozen individually wrapped chicken breasts or chicken nuggets.

I'll also have snacks, desserts, a few spices and random ingredients like sugar/flour. Plus frozen meals for when I don't feel like cooking.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I am also on ADD meds

I would suggest coconut oil to cook with (that's one thing I can't live without) it can provide some quick energy. (So I've heard that is the case with the MCTs contained within the oil). That wouldn't be something you'd need to buy every week though.

I can't live without some kind of plain (mostly greek) yogurt with chia seeds. Chia seeds are high in protein, fiber, and omega 3s (ALA omega threes). You only need a tablespoon (or even less) it can help you feel full.

Wild-caught salmon when it's on sale is a great source of protien and takes 23 minutes to cook in an oven at 350. You don't even need a pan, just wrap it in tin foil with some salt and pepper and coconut oil. Cook up some brown or black rice, put some butter in that, and it's heavenly with the salmon.

And I really like snacking on cherry tomatoes but that's not high protein lol. Good source of vitamin C without the sugar though
  • fivefootfitness
    Options
    Great suggestions! I LOVE some baked salmon, but I'm not sure how my roommates would feel about me cooking fish in our unit! Beans are a wonderful idea I hadn't thought of! And I failed to mention that I actually have some chia seeds that I'll take along with me. Ooh and peanut butter.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! I LOVE some baked salmon, but I'm not sure how my roommates would feel about me cooking fish in our unit! Beans are a wonderful idea I hadn't thought of! And I failed to mention that I actually have some chia seeds that I'll take along with me. Ooh and peanut butter.

Understood about the roommate thing. However, just FYI, GOOD quality fresh salmon should not smell strongly when cooked or raw.

And yes, the chia seed thing is very nice. :) Love those little things!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm on a pretty extreme budget myself, and have a similar "basics" list. Then I have an "expanded" basics list, of things I like to have when I can. Then there are luxuries. If I have to limit it to 5 things (not including the things you already listed, because definitely those too!):

1. Beans. I buy canned, but dried is cheaper, they just take more work to prepare. My preference is black, but I also always have kidney, pinto and cannelinis in the house. Mix with the rice, Rotel tomatoes (not a necessity, but very good) and a sprinkle of cheese, and you have a pretty amazing meal.

2. Cheese. Whatever kind you prefer. I typically have string cheese (quick high protein snack), some sort of shredded cheese, and some sort of sliced cheese, usually Velveeta or similar not-quite-really-cheese product.

3. Tortillas. I have an egg and avocado wrap for breakfast every day. Then I have another sort of wrap for lunch every day. Lunch meat and cheese, tuna and avocado, beans and rice, etc.

4. Avocado. This one is highly personal, as many people either don't like avocado, or don't like it as much as I do, but I go through 3-4 per week. An excellent source of good fats, plus delicious!

5a. Do you have a crockpot? If yes, then the biggest, cheapest bag of chicken that you can afford. Thighs are typically cheaper than breasts for about 20 more calories. I get a 5# bag of BL/SL thighs for around $5. If you go with bone in, whole legs it may even be cheaper. Throw the whole bag in the crockpot, covered with water/broth, and cook on low all day. Portion out and freeze. You have chicken for about a month. Good for sandwiches, salads, main dishes, whatever you want.

5b. No slow cooker? Then that's my other option, even though it's not a food! You can get a decent one new for $20. But now is the perfect time to scout for a used one at yard sales. I've seen them as low as $1 before, and they are truly amazing when you don't have much time to cook. Aside from the chicken, I make a lot of soups/stews. Throw everything into the crock before bed and stick it in the fridge. Wake up, pop the crock into the pot, turn it on low and leave it for the day. Come home to dinner!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Only five foods is tough, even with your staples. I might rotate sometimes. I'm also vegan. So your results may vary. I also would add B12 supplements and vitamin D to this list.

1. Sweet Potatoes. I've just discovered sweet potatoes are a great source of vitamin A. Do not confuse with yams, which are not a great source of vitamin A. This will be my #1 goto from now on instead of white potatoes, since I detest carrots.

2. Rotate weekly: Berries. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc. Get whichever is cheapest that week or one you haven't had in awhile. You can throw dried fruit like raisins in the rotation for variety sometimes if you like.

3. Beans. Rotate these as well if you want to. Black beans and garbanzo are the two I like most, but white beans has a lot of potassium.

4. Tomatoes

5. Nuts or seeds. I'd buy them by the month and mix my own trail mix and throw in some of my berries or dried fruit, too. The original name of trail mix by the way may well have been student food.

Then if those were the only five foods I had plus your staples, I'd probably still go ahead and take a good multivitamin, sad to say it's expensive to get all your nutrients from food.
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    Ummmm....

1- Greek Yogurt. I just love it so so much. Tons of protein. Eat it on everything- with everything.

2- Chicken Breast- Low fat- so many different ways to spice it up and use in different scenarios.

3- Peanut buter- because it makes everything peanut BETTER.

4- Banana- For mah pre-workout meal

5- Broccoli- My favorite green- perhaps asparagus.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    1. Soya milk. Protein source and dairy substitute.
    2. Peas and Beans. Protein source.
    3. Leafy vegetables.
    4. Rice and Pasta (buy alternate weeks). Both carbs which also contain Protein; unlike potatoes, and more versatile.
    5. A rotation of summer fruits, including tomatoes - you can't live happily without tomatoes.

oh - and 6. Muesli because breakfast, carbs and protein.

7. (and I would sneak in a bar of 80% dark chocolate, just because you can eat one chunk of that and get the fix you you have to eat a whole bar of milk chocolate for and that way it's less calories).
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Five is a hard number to narrow down to, but
    1. Eggs
    2. Beans
    3. Bananas
    4. Spinach
    5. Sweet Potato

My actual super basic grocery list looks more like this... think of it in 5 categories if that's easier- get a few good, cheap, versatile sources from each category each week and you can make a bunch of simple healthy meals
    1. Proteins: Eggs, Beans, Lentils, Greek Yogurt
    2. Carbs: Oats, Sweet Potato, Rice, Quinoa,
    3. Fats: Coconut Oil, Almond Butter, Avocado, Nuts, Seeds
    4. Fruits and Veggies: Bananas, Berries, Broccoli, Spinach, Asparagus, Cauliflower
    5. Miscellaneous: Condiments, Spices, Seasonings, Garlic - Whatever you like to make your food tasty and fun
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    1. Eggs (high protein, low cost, moderate fat)
    2. spinach (high micronutrients, low cost, low calories)
    3. chia (moderate protein, low carbs, high fiber. can be expensive)
    4. broccoli (high micronutrients, low calories)
    5. oranges (sugars, carbs, vitamin c)

You would want other foods to supplement these though or you'd get tired of the monotony.
  • Andrea0078
    Andrea0078 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think it would be best for me to have a 'food budget'. But as long as I'm eating healthily, I kind of allow myself whatever it takes to keep me on track. Being a college student would change my situation drastically.

1. Greek yogurt. I can't do the plain, sorry folks, I gotta have some fruit & flavor. I'm not a breakfast person, but even I can stomach an AM yogurt break.

2. Sunflower seeds. The kettle roasted ones at all of my local gas stations are low in sodium. They're a portable, fun snack I can't overindulge in because you have to 'work for your food' with them. I just keep them in my car- that's a place that I have a tendency to mindlessly snack to and from work. Also, after a run or a bike ride, a nice little reward while I'm driving back home.

3. Avocados. I love avocados. I love them with cottage cheese, plain, salt & pepper, balsamic vinegar. Mashed into guacamole on the weekends for a dinner treat that makes me feel like I'm cheating. They keep me satiated. I didn't always like them, now I can't live without them.

4. Caprese. I have to lump this together, because the counterparts of this dish are so much less than the sum of their parts. Sliced tomatoes with fresh basil & a little fresh mozzarella, drizzled with balsamic reduction & fresh ground pepper. Simply heavenly. I forget I'm on a diet & my coworkers drool. Working at a restaurant, this dish has helped me battle many a temptation.

5. Chicken breasts. I <3 me some chicken. I like to pan fry it with minced garlic & little balsamic glaze. I like it dipped in worcestershire, I like it dipped in BBQ, I love it dipped in Buffalo Wild Wings Thai Curry sauce. I love it dipped in Culinary Circle Raspberry Chipotle sauce. I just love chicken. I know the sauces can be overboard, so I make sure I measure out my sauces & properly record how much I'm having. Dieting would simply not be possible for me without chicken dipped in sauce.
    I'd eat chicken while holding a balloon, I'd eat chicken on the back of a pontoon. I'd eat chicken sitting down or standing up. I'd eat chicken when low on dishes from a cup. I'd eat chicken every day of the calendar year. I'll always eat chicken, because to me it's what I hold dear! Little Dr. Seuss for ya there.

And if I got a #6? I'd say a Wedding Cake Herbalife shake can get me through many situations where I'm on the go & have no time. A #7? Sweet potatoes with Splenda brown sugar & toasted marshmallow. Dinner & dessert. #8? Beef jerky. Portable, friggin delicious & high protein.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    oats, non-fat greek yogurt, fresh broccoli, morningstar farms burgers (for vegetarians) or lean chicken breasts or water-packed canned tuna (if you're meat eater) and a lower sodium bread. if i could buy a sixth item, avocados.

on alternate weeks, i'd rotate the bread out and have sweet potatoes instead, and alternate the oats for medium sized baking potatos - on those weeks, i'd rotate out the avocados for light sour cream for the potaoes (assuming you'd have pepper already).

if you buy a bag of beans, which are REALLY cheap, you can use them whenever you like. honestly oats are so cheap and the containers are so big you could buy one container a month, and on other weeks use your food dollars for other items like the alternates above.