Tell me I'm just storing water like a camel...

Options
So there I am I'm minding my own business...eating all my calories, riding my bike, losing weight at 1-2 lbs./wk...then the temperature out here on the Left Coast goes up into record territory...and badda boom...I gain 3 lbs in a matter of a few days.

So what gives? Am I conserving water? I've learned never to weigh myself right after a ride or hard workout because my weight always shows up to be more than I "feel" and it can be a real let down. But this 3 lb. gain isn't going away and it's pissin' me off. I'm working my buns off, climbing mountains, not eating crap (Trader Joe's Lime popsicles don't count).

My average calorie burn after a ride is around 1,000 and although it's not easy, I manage to eat most of those calories and with great enthusiasm! And that happens 3-4 days/week. So I don't think I'm "starving". So maybe I'm not drinking enough water and that's why I'm glomming onto it. :noway:

In other words, do we all conserve water during hot weather, thus contributing to weight gain that's really just....bloating? Eeew.

Thanks for any wisdom.

James

Replies

• jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    So there I am I'm minding my own business...eating all my calories, riding my bike, losing weight at 1-2 lbs./wk...then the temperature out here on the Left Coast goes up into record territory...and badda boom...I gain 3 lbs in a matter of a few days.

So what gives? Am I conserving water? I've learned never to weigh myself right after a ride or hard workout because my weight always shows up to be more than I "feel" and it can be a real let down. But this 3 lb. gain isn't going away and it's pissin' me off. I'm working my buns off, climbing mountains, not eating crap (Trader Joe's Lime popsicles don't count).

My average calorie burn after a ride is around 1,000 and although it's not easy, I manage to eat most of those calories and with great enthusiasm! And that happens 3-4 days/week. So I don't think I'm "starving". So maybe I'm not drinking enough water and that's why I'm glomming onto it. :noway:

In other words, do we all conserve water during hot weather, thus contributing to weight gain that's really just....bloating? Eeew.

Thanks for any wisdom.

James
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating more salty foods lately? And yes in the summer we should drink more... That's what I would try. And please send some heat to Ohio... I'm freezing :frown:
  • snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I understand completely - I'm down in San Jose, 100 is way over our normal. I've been drinking so much water I stopped counting. Perhaps Gabi is right, are you eating more salt? Sorry not much help, but the temps should start going down after the weekend...
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    Hmmm...hadn't thought of the salt possibility. Actually I probably have been eating more salt. If nothing else the performance drinks I use during rides contain a lot of salt (electrolytes).

Hey, thanks you guys. I owe ya.

42645.png
    [/url]
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I had to answer the phone at work the same time I read your topic and almost laughed into the phone because I thought to myself a camel doesn't store water it stores fat. :laugh: Sorry, I'm not laughing at your expense, your topic and that thought just struck me as so funny. :laugh: