runny nose while doing cardio?

Options
Is this normal? When I do intense cardio my nose won't stop running. I did a spin class today and it was bad. If it is normal, how the heck do I get it to stop?

Replies

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,585 Member
    Options
    DH has had that problem when running occasionally. He thinks there has to be some sort of back up of sinus fluid if the discharge is heavy instead of thin and clear (sorry, TMI). If thin and clear, than it's just your sinuses reaction to a lot of air movement due to exercise. Now if then only happens in spin class and not while exerting yourself during other activities, it might be an allergy to something in the spin classroom.

Anyway hope it goes away, whatever the cause.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yep, I get this even when going for a brisk walk. I am used to it now. Not sure what causes it really. I do not seem to get it with my boxing though, just with things like running, walking and the cycling.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get this sometimes, not sure why. I also start sneezing too lol. I'm allergic to exercise ha ha.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Only in the winter when I am outside walking. Do you work out where it is air conditioned? It might just be a reaction to the dry air.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I swear I'm not lying but my nose always runs on leg day, I tell my trainer that I'm allergic to lunges lol. Weird
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Been happening to me for a few years now. Doc put me on Clairitin D to help dry it up. Definitely blowing my nose less on the days I remember to take it.

Also, spicy and steamy foods have the same effect. Not sure if it's sinusitis or what.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm not the only one! Thank you. I might try saline before I workout. I didn't consider the air conditioning. That could be what's causing it
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time. Only cardio. I just think of it as sweating from my nose. Lol
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    All the time
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It only happens to me if the air is cold. I do take Kleenex whenever I jog or go for a walk outside, just in case.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Even when I'm cycling outside in 95 degree weather...
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hah I have the same prob while spinning too! I have to blow my nose beforehand but still doesn't make any difference. I tried antihistamine but that didn't work. Other than sticking tissue up nostrils not sure wot to do :)
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Lol I get all the time. Hiking, running, spinning. As someone said, it's like I sweat from my nose. I thought it was just me, I feel less embarrassad now. :laugh: :laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It is normal for a lot of people...it is called exercise-induced rhinitis. Essentially, a good workout triggers allergy like symptoms. It is estimated that roughly 40% of endurance athletes suffer from EIR. It is more common in the winter and/or when temps are cooler, but can happen anytime...it is most common with individuals who exercise outdoors.

Supposedly, an ipratroprium bromide nasal spray is supposed to help but I've never really noted a huge difference. Basically, my cycling gloves come in handy for a lot more than just keeping my hands healthy when I'm riding.
  • Jenni_MFP
    Jenni_MFP Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! I always thought I was just weird, and there was something wrong with me. It's annoying to be the sniffly one in a yoga class :p.

Glad to know I'm not alone
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It is normal for a lot of people...it is called exercise-induced rhinitis. Essentially, a good workout triggers allergy like symptoms. It is estimated that roughly 40% of endurance athletes suffer from EIR. It is more common in the winter and/or when temps are cooler, but can happen anytime...it is most common with individuals who exercise outdoors.

Supposedly, an ipratroprium bromide nasal spray is supposed to help but I've never really noted a huge difference. Basically, my cycling gloves come in handy for a lot more than just keeping my hands healthy when I'm riding.

So I really am allergic to exercise.