I need help with lunch

Options
I'm a carb-a-holic. I LOVE bread and sandwiches. I'd like to cut back on eating them but I don't know what to do for lunches that is quick and easy? I do like salad but I can't do that every day. And I struggle with leftovers. What are some of your go to lunches for the workweek?

Replies

• Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I see that right now most of your sandwiches are on the Subway Flatbread. If you switched to 2 slices of whole wheat bread instead, you could save 70 calories and pick up 2g of fiber. If you had your sandwich wrap-style with a wheat tortilla instead you could save 100 calories and add 1g of fiber, though you'd drop 3g protein.

Just food for thought :)
  • jwallner04
    jwallner04 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I see that right now most of your sandwiches are on the Subway Flatbread. If you switched to 2 slices of whole wheat bread instead, you could save 70 calories and pick up 2g of fiber. If you had your sandwich wrap-style with a wheat tortilla instead you could save 100 calories and add 1g of fiber, though you'd drop 3g protein.

*sigh* Yes, I LOVE subway! :) I still need to do grocery shopping for the week. I'll maybe just get a loaf of bread and make my own sandwich. Do you recommend the "light" version of breads or get the normal stuff? I have seen different brands have light and looks like for 2 slices its 40 cals. I get confused when looking at labels. I don't know what's good and whats bad. What ingredients I should be staying away from..
  • sanderbant
    sanderbant Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Josephs low carb, high protein tortillas. They are soft, chewy, yummy- SO much better than subway. They are 70 calories a piece. My favorite lunch is a tortilla/wrap with hummus, sauteed zucchini and a balsamic drizzle. You can stuff them with anything- chicken ceasar wrap for example :)
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options

*sigh* Yes, I LOVE subway! :) I still need to do grocery shopping for the week. I'll maybe just get a loaf of bread and make my own sandwich. Do you recommend the "light" version of breads or get the normal stuff? I have seen different brands have light and looks like for 2 slices its 40 cals. I get confused when looking at labels. I don't know what's good and whats bad. What ingredients I should be staying away from..

Really, unless you have some kind of allergy or sensitivity, the only ingredient you "should" stay away from is trans-fats. I haven't tried light versions of breads because they tend to be more expensive than their regular counterparts, though.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I cook my meals on Sundays and freeze them that way they are ready to go for the week since I work long hours. Also the ability to grab and go make it super easy and give me no reason to reach for something else. I do things like stirfrys (some form of protein, lots of veggies and some marinade) Homeade broth based soups. Also just the general protien such as a baked or grilled chicken breast with seasonings or a steak and some veggies on the side. :)
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Josephs low carb, high protein tortillas. They are soft, chewy, yummy- SO much better than subway. They are 70 calories a piece. My favorite lunch is a tortilla/wrap with hummus, sauteed zucchini and a balsamic drizzle. You can stuff them with anything- chicken ceasar wrap for example :)

Second the idea for wraps! I don't even buy special ones, I get the Kwik Trip (local convenience store) brand white flour tortillas, which clock in at 120 cals, 20g carbs per piece. I have one every morning spread with 1/4 avocado, sprinkled with kosher salt and topped with 1 fried egg and one fried egg white. Total damage: 292 cal.

Then I have another wrap for lunch. Some of my faves, all 300-350 cals-ish
    Chicken Cesar: Chicken breast, slice of cheese, bagged lettuce mix, cesar dressing.
    Turkey and Squash: turkey breast, steamed yellow squash, cheese, heated in the microwave and served warm
    "Burrito" style: refried beans, olives, grilled peppers, lettuce mix, shredded cheese. Either microwaved or grilled quesadilla style
    Hawaiian melt: ham, pineapple, cheese. Best served grilled, quesadilla style, but can be microwaved in a pinch
    Tuna and avocado: 1/4 avocado mixed with 1/2 small can of tuna, manzanilla olives
    And then there are days where I'm either feeling creative or just running low on ingredients, and throw together whatever I have on hand. Sometimes it's great, sometimes . . .