Need friends please to give advice and tips please

Options
Hi i'm clare and i'm 38 years old. I'm hoping to tone up and get some muscle definition. I'm going to try to eat clean and get off my butt to go to the gym. I need help with motivation if anybody can help.
i'd be so grateful.

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am struggling with motivation on some days more than others, and have found a few things that work for me that may be helpful for you. Start with smaller sustainable changes. For example, I started trying to add a vegetable to every dinner because I rarely ate veggies and now I eat several veggies at each meal. I gave up pop and started drinking flavored water, I keep Mio in business! I cut back on my fast food consumption too as I was eating out probably four or five times a week to only once every eight or nine days. I started exercising for 20 minutes several days a week and built up my time and intensity as I became stronger. For me it has helped to stay motivated because I did not start out too intense to the point that I was SORE for days afterwards or discouraged by my lack of fitness by not being able to complete longer or harder workouts. I try to create small mini goals that help me to reach my larger goal of dropping over 100 pounds and I celebrate my victories by small rewards like new clothes, gadgets, books, or movies. I also ordered a subscription to Clean Eating magazine and have found several recipes that I love to make and eat which have helped me to eat a larger variety of food and to eat healthy food that I actually enjoy. Before I thought that eating clean meant restricting my food options and eating a lot of bland tasteless food and now I realize that is so far from the truth! I have signed up to do a color vibe at the end of next month and am working on being able to run part of the race. At the beginning of the year, I doubted I would have been able to walk half of the race. I know that I can easily walk the race now, but am challenging myself to run part of it as I continue to work to improve my fitness level. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • CouchToHealthy
    CouchToHealthy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, thank you for your reply. you have definatley give me some things to think about. I've sent you a friend request
    Clare:smile:
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Hey Clare. Deciding you are going to change your life style is the biggest hurdle. And starting slow is good advice. Walking is one of the best ways to get moving. If toning up is your main goal, starting a light weight lifting workout shouldn't be too far behind the walking. You don't have to join a gym to do this. I Goggled weight lifting for seniors and found some good You Tube videos that got me started. Of course you are 15 years younger, so you won't need to go that route.

Find what you like to eat that is low in calories and high in nutrition. Greek yogurt and frozen stir-fry veggies is what did it for me. Anytime you are hungry between meals, have a cup of veggies or yogurt. It will quell the hunger pangs, and soon your body will get used to good food, and you will not crave the salt and sugar of junk food. If I am forced to eat fast food now, I have a heck of a time finding something on the menu I can stomach.

Good luck,

Larro
  • CouchToHealthy
    CouchToHealthy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's been two whole years now and still not got very far! My food intake is worse than ever as I eat takeout at least 3 times a week