Cooking Challenge: Apple

inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
Welcome to the ninth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from egbkid, the winner of the pumpkin challenge with her Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.

s_apples.jpg

This week's challenge is APPLE!

Apples are full of antioxidants known to help prevent certain cancers. These antioxidants help your body fight against free radicals. But there's more! Apples also assist in fighting against the effects of the bad LDL cholesterol. They decrease the risks of osteoporosis and may even help your brain cells in preventing against Alzheimer's.

I'm sure we've all heard it, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away". So for this week at least, let's try to keep the doctor away!

Apples, raw with skin (1 cup quartered or chopped)
65 calories
0 grams fat
0 mg cholesterol
1 mg sodium
134 mg potassium
17 grams carbs
3 grams dietary fiber
13 grams sugar
0 grams protein

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday December 11th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    bump
  • yay my first time. I recently found this recipe in the beachbody newsletter and it was yummy!

Name: Apple Raisin Coffee Cake
    Ingredients:
    5 cups cored, peeled, and chopped apples
    1 cup raisins
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup chopped walnuts
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tsp. vanilla
    1 egg, beaten
    2-1/2 cups whole-grain flour
    1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    Olive oil cooking spray
    13" x 9" x 2" baking pan
    Large mixing bowl

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish or pan with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine apples, raisins, sugar, and walnuts, and mix them together well. Allow mixture to stand for 30 minutes. Then stir olive oil, vanilla, and egg into mixture. Sift flour, soda, and cinnamon together, then slowly stir into apple mixture, making sure it stays moist. Fold mixture into pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving.

Makes 20 servings.

164 calories
    3g protein
    3g fiber
    28g carbs
    5g fat
    1g sat fat

Tasted wonderful!!! I think i am now going to use this as part of my breakfast. Since it makes 20 servings I can freeze some!
  • !!! I love apples! Going to have to think of something very cool for this challenge...
  • Is the recipe supposed to be healthy? I've never gotten in on one of these challenges before, but I have an apple cake recipe that's been in the family for a couple decades and it's awesome! I don't think nutritional values have ever been calculated though. Not sure I really want to know. haha!
  • inskydiamonds
    Is the recipe supposed to be healthy? I've never gotten in on one of these challenges before, but I have an apple cake recipe that's been in the family for a couple decades and it's awesome! I don't think nutritional values have ever been calculated though. Not sure I really want to know. haha!

They don't HAVE to be, but do calculate the calories so everyone knows what to expect!
  • bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    bump
  • Apple Toast - A low cal - super yummy snack!
    You will need:

1 Honeycrisp Apple
    1 Slice of whole wheat bread
    Cinnamon
    Dried Ginger

Instructions:

Take a honeycrisp apple and peel and grate it.
    Mix in 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    Mix in 1/2 teaspoon ginger
    Put grated mixture into pan and warm on low heat.
    Toast a piece of whole wheat bread.

Put the warm apple mixture on top of the toasted bread. Add 6 pecan halves.

Calories: 200 (varies on your bread).
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    BUMP! Love apples! Had one just a few mins ago, actually :bigsmile: Thanks Liz!
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Apple Toast - A low cal - super yummy snack!

Sounds awesome!!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Ok I'm going a bit lazy on this week's challenge, but I may post another recipe later. However, I wanted to post something that was easy and a definite winner. This recipe is something I make several times a month while apples are in season and it never lasts very long in our fridge. It's a total hit! Roasting anything in the oven brings out its natural sugars, concentrates flavours and makes things incredibly delicious. This holds true for apples, without a doubt. This is by far and away the best apple sauce recipe I've ever found - and it's dead easy too!! I usually either mix this in with my oatmeal (about 1/2 serving) in the morning or have it as a desert with cottage cheese. It is SO sweet and delicious you'll be remiss you ever bought applesauce in the stores! :laugh:

Oven Roasted Apple Sauce
    Source: http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/2008/10/roasted-apple-sauce.html
    Makes 4 servings (about 1/2 cup each)

Ingredients:
    4 apples (peeled, cored and chopped) - Gala, Fuji, Crispin, anything sweet and crisp works great for this
    1/4 cup fresh pressed apple cider
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (I use about 1 tsp, but I love cinnamon!)
    1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional, I leave this out because I use loads of cinnamon)

Directions:
    1. Toss everything in a bowl to combine.
    2. Bake in a preheated 400F oven until the apples are very soft and a dark roasted colour, about 30-50 minutes. (Mix every 15-20 mins or so for even cooking)
    3. Mash the apples with a potato masher.

Roasted+Apple+Sauce+in+a+Bowl+500.jpg
    Image copied from Closet Cooking, http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/2008/10/roasted-apple-sauce.html
    Haven't made this recipe in a few weeks so I didn't have my own pic to add. I did however use this recipe as the base layer for a roasted apple upside-down spice cake the other day (without mashing the apples and slicing them neatly instead of chopping). The apple portion turned out incredible but the cake was lack luster :ohwell: I'm going to continue to experiment with this recipe since it's definitely a keeper and a staple in my kitchen!

Per serving:
    Calories 147
    Carbs 32
    Fat 0
    Protein 0
    Fiber 5
    Sodium 7

-Meag
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Mini Apple Crumble for 2.

2 Apples, peeled, cored, sliced.
    1+1/2 Tsp Brown Sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon.
    1 Tbsp flour.
    1 Tbsp oatmeal.

Put apples into mini pie or bread tin, or large ramikan. Mix other ingredients together in seperate bowl and sprinkle over apples. Bake at 350 F for 30 to 45 minutes.

Serves 2, 107 Calories each

Mmmm, Yummy! One of my favorite treats! I make it in a mini loaf pan.

If you want a sugar rush, and have super juicy apples, add another Tbsp of brown sugar. It makes a sweet syrup in the bottom (but equals many extra calorites, of course).
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Yum . the mini apple crumble sounds delish!
  • inskydiamonds
    Hey apple contestants. Take a second and go vote for the best turkey dish. The voting ends tomorrow and it's currently tied.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/137554-cooking-challenge-turkey?page=1#posts-1906851
  • inskydiamonds
    Get your apple entries in!
    Mine will be here tomorrow :)
  • inskydiamonds
    There are not nearly enough entries yet!
  • inskydiamonds
    NAME OF RECIPE: Apple Rosemary Pork Tenderloin (http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/apple-rosemary-pork-tenderloin/Detail.aspx)

INGREDIENTS:

2 tsp dried rosemary
    3/4 tsp dried thyme
    3/4 tsp dried oregano
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin
    2/3 cup no sugar added apple juice
    1 1/2 granny smith apples, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1/2 large red onion, cut into 1-inch cubes
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    2 tbsp flour
    1/4 cup maple syrup

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a small bowl mix together rosemary, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper. Rub the mixture over the tenderloin. Place the tenderloin in a bowl and cover with the apple juice. Fill the bowl up with water until the tenderloin is covered. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 325.

3. Place the pork tenderloin in a roasting pan, elevated from the bottom. Pour the marinade over the top. Bake for one hour.

4. Combine the apples and onions. Place over and around the tenderloin. Cover the pork and the apples/onions with the brown sugar. Bake for one more hour.

5. Make the gravy by browning the flour and adding a little more apple juice, maple syrup, and vegetable broth (or water) until the right texture. (I did this because I actually burned the marinade I was supposed to use - in the future I wouldn't half the ingredients for the marinade and I would follow that part of the instructions).

CALORIES PER SERVING: 515

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 3
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: It tasted delicious. Unfortunately I shouldn't have halved the marinade part of the recipe because I needed it all for the gravy. By halving it the juice burnt to the bottom of the roasting pan. HOWEVER, the pork was still very tender and moist. My impromptu gravy worked, but it would have been better had I not burnt it originally.

PICTURE (optional): IMG_4101.jpg
  • NAME OF RECIPE: Apple Latkes
    INGREDIENTS: Apple, Flour, Lemon Juice, Sugar, Egg (my version)
    DIRECTIONS: Original from Smitten Kitchen:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/11/apple-latkes/
    I used only 1 apple
    2Tbs flour
    1/2 lime's juice
    1tsp sugar
    1 egg
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 214
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 1
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I liked it a lot! The sweetness and apple flavor is the main point, but the flour and egg make a yummy cake-y texture. I do suggest you take the time to drain the apple because I was too lazy and so they were more wet than crispy :tongue: Still yum!
    PICTURE:
    5221788440_4464532d1c.jpg
    From Smitten Kitchen

65408_1511237022408_1278840088_3134793_2410029_n.jpg
    I burned mine on accident ^^;
  • inskydiamonds
    All of these recipes look delicious! You have 24 hours left if you want to enter your own recipe into this challenge :)
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Apple squares: ... 188cal/26carb/1fat/3 protein/27 cholesterol/42 sodium per square

9x13 pan serves 12 ....................................................Preheat oven to 350F

1 3/4 cups Splenda sugar substitute.........................1/2 tsp salt
    3 lg eggs .........................................................................1/2 cup canola oil
    2 cups all purpose flour ...............................................1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 tsp cinnamon ............................................................. 2 cups apples peeled and thinly sliced

Beat together sugar and eggs ................................Notes: may add nuts for flavor (calculated without nuts)
    Stir in dry ingredients - mix ......................................sometimes use 1/2 vanilla and 1/2 maplene
    Add oil, applesauce and vanilla - stir
    Fold in apples
    Spray pan
    Place in pan and Bake for 40-45 minutes.

Adjusted from Nanna Ruth's recipe the kids love them:flowerforyou: .......................Sorry no way to take pic.:frown:
  • inskydiamonds
    It's voting time for the apple contest!
    http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

You have until Wednesday to vote.
This discussion has been closed.