Throwing away food.

Options
2»

Replies

• Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Cut them up into manageable portions. Then freeze them. Save the manageable portions for a day when you can plan them in :) Like half a serving on Friday or something like that.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If someone gives me food that I don't think is worth the calories (like sh!tty chocolate/candy, or baked goods that don't even taste good), I have no problem throwing it away. No neighbors that we are friendly with, no family that lives very close by, and I don't like giving any of the vultures at work anything. That "throwing food away is wasteful" idea is why I was obese in the first place...
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I dont really use the "other people are starving" as an excuse to eat food just so it is not wasted. It will either become waste or put on your waist...if I can not give it away, I throw it out.

The entire mentality of "clean your plate" is also what contributed to me being obese. It is a saying that basically came from the 30's, when food was not the easiest to afford due to the depression. If I feel full, Ill throw that food out with pride knowing I can control my eating, and not let others guilt me to eat more than my body needs.

This is my mentality too. The food on my plate is either going in my mouth or in the trash. The starving people aren't going to benefit by my eating it any more than by me throwing it out. Either way, it's not going to them. I have more than enough to eat, so throwing it away isn't going to make me starve either. It's actually more beneficial to my health for me to not eat it. I never understood that sentiment, even as a kid.

As far as throwing food away in general, I don't particularly enjoy throwing food away since it means I paid for something I didn't need. I avoid it by meal planning for the week and shopping based on that meal plan. We plan meals based on what's on sale and only buy what we need to make those meals. The only extras that we buy are things that last a long time before going bad, like cereal and rice. It has saved us a lot of money and I find that we aren't tossing out perishables like we used to.

As far as the chocolates (or the like), I'd either budget in one a day and eat them, or go the coworker route. I find that most goodies that people give out don't taste as good as you think they are going to. I budget it in and eat one, then realize that its not yummy enough to waste the calories on. I'd rather use my extra calories by eating my ice cream.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    That "throwing food away is wasteful" idea is why I was obese in the first place...

With respect, it could well be that the "food is so cheap and disposable we can throw it away" idea is perhaps why so many in the west are obese in the first place.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    That "throwing food away is wasteful" idea is why I was obese in the first place...

With respect, it could well be that the "food is so cheap and disposable we can throw it away" idea is perhaps why so many in the west are obese in the first place.

I agree. And, being raised with frequent visits with extended family that took great exception if you didn't clear your plate, have seconds, and take more home as leftovers didn't help me either. I certainly clear my plate at home now when I cook, but only because I've weighed and measured my food, pre-planned my meal, and if I logged XYZ for dinner, I'm going to eat it!