Airbnb

Options
_SantaClause
_SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
Anyone have any experience with this?

I was looking through it and I can stay in some pretty cool places in San Fran when I am there, for fairly cheap.

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I thought about using it the last time I went to Ireland...it was very tempting. Then I got weird about it because some of the places you had to share bathrooms, etc. Just reminded me of hostels and while I've never stayed at one, I've been in a couple and the bathrooms were less than desirable. I've also become kind of germophobic the older I get though...
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    San Fran????? San FRAN??????

Just kidding I don't care what you call SF
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My bf, his brother, a couple friends, and I, went to Nashville a month or so ago and we found a place to stay using Airbnb. The person who's place we ended up renting was such a hipster, but hey, it was Nashville...it was really cool and worked out really well for us. We found some cool things to do that we wouldn't have known about had we gone off the normal touristy stuff, and overall it was pretty enjoyable.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Not personally, but I have many friends who have used it. They've all had treat experiences.
  • EvanandEarth
    Options
    I've used AirBNB when holidaying in NY and it was awesome, especially if you like to have a kitchen to prepare meals and do
    laundry etc. We chose AirBNB because we didn't just want to be in a hotel room for 2 weeks.

You can choose to stay in a room (in a shared house), but I've used it to book the entire flat/apartment- this way you have the place to yourself.

You can pay by the night, or some places will advertise a weekly rate.

There are reviews on the website for each type of accommodation you can choose from and these reviews I think are quite honest and trustworthy.

Give it a go!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I thought about using it the last time I went to Ireland...it was very tempting. Then I got weird about it because some of the places you had to share bathrooms, etc. Just reminded me of hostels and while I've never stayed at one, I've been in a couple and the bathrooms were less than desirable. I've also become kind of germophobic the older I get though...

bedbugs
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

bedbugs

*shudder*
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've used it. It's been fine so far. Just keep in mind that a great price can get jacked up to hotel prices if another person travels with you. I've had one deal go kaput when someone suddenly had to "move"...

The sharing bathroom can be fine if you luck out and get an Airbnb where you never see the other person.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I've used it. Its great for SF because it lets you stay in a different part of the city from where the hotels are, and that's really nice as the hotels are all either in tourist areas or business areas.

Its not really cheaper than a hotel room, you just get some different amenities and a different (better IMO) location. well, and it'll be cheaper than a suite would be in a hotel, typically.
  • _SantaClause
    Options
    I've used it. Its great for SF because it lets you stay in a different part of the city from where the hotels are, and that's really nice as the hotels are all either in tourist areas or business areas.

Its not really cheaper than a hotel room, you just get some different amenities and a different (better IMO) location. well, and it'll be cheaper than a suite would be in a hotel, typically.

It's about $150/night cheaper than a hotel.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

It's about $150/night cheaper than a hotel.

Not any of the times I've stayed there. But I've never shared a house/room, I've always just rented a whole place to myself (which is much more comparable to getting a hotel room than renting a room in an occupied house/apartment)
  • AdventureVix
    AdventureVix Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My partner and I have been using airbnb for about a year now, stayed in some pretty awesome places and met some lovely people. Make sure they have reviews wherever you stay. We haven't had a bad or even mediocre experience yet! Have fun!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I stayed in an AirBnb in San Francisco in June. It was the Purple Room in a home at 8th and Howard. . hosts were Graham and Maria. It was lovely, convenient and worked out very well with my other travel plans.
  • _SantaClause
    Options
    I stayed in an AirBnb in San Francisco in June. It was the Purple Room in a home at 8th and Howard. . hosts were Graham and Maria. It was lovely, convenient and worked out very well with my other travel plans.

That's one of the ones I was considering!

pretty good location??
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    Options
    I went with three of my friends to New York. We were too young for hotels, so we looked at airbnb. Not only was it cheaper and in a great location, but it was a private apartment. So if you decide to go for it (which you totally should), just make sure to read the reviews and review in turn so that future airbnb-ers can know how great your experience was.