anyone dont measure and still lose?

Options
im 13 days into mfp although im not new to mfp. I don't own a measuring scale as of yet but I plan to buy one. Is there anyone who doesn't use one and has still made progress in their weight loss journey. I feel like im the only one who doesn't use one but im sure there are others who don't as well.

Replies

• aurorareigns
    Options
    Measure food? I don't measure food. I've lost 15lbs without measuring it.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Measure food? I don't measure food. I've lost 15lbs without measuring it.
    yes im sorry I meant food. how have you been doing it? just guessing? I do that but I feel I am wrong all the time
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    When I started I didn't measure, but I had lots of weight to lose so my margin of error was bigger. Now that I want to continue losing and eating as much food as I can and still do that, I weigh my food.
  • aurorareigns
    Options
    I've gotten REALLY good at guessing because I've been doing this for five years. I can tell you the calories in almost anything I eat right off the top of my head. I've just never measured because I get obsessed with numbers and didn't need more numbers to obsess over. Measuring could be helpful for you if you think you're guessing wrong though.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Measuring and weighing food is much more obsessive than I want to be.

The first thirty or forty pounds, I didn't even weigh myself, much less my food.

It can be as easy or as complicated as you want to make it.

You don't need to do any of that to lose weight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    A scale is going to be the best way to get an accurate calorie count but there are things you can do in the meantime. Most foods have volume measurements in the database (1 cup, 1/2 cup, etc.) and you can learn to eyeball things like meat by learning a few tricks. One serving of meat should be about the size of a deck of cards or the palm of your hand. 1/2 cup should be about the size of a tennis ball.

This site has a chart if you scroll down and gives more estimation tools:
    http://www.mynetdiary.com/estimating-portions-for-food-diary.html
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

The first thirty or forty pounds, I didn't even weigh myself, much less my food.

How is measuring obsessive. I bake a lot so weighing and measuring is part of it, so you get a good end result. Takes a few extra seconds to weigh it.

Do you have to, no, but is it beneficial yes
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much weight you need to lose but if it's on the higher side, sometimes just those minor changes of watching what you eat will help the weight drop off. For me, I was also not over eating very much so the counting had to be very drastic to see a change. Once you lose some you may hit a plateau and need to start measuring.

Also I'm having trouble with the word "lose" this morning. Looks so weird. I even typed "loose" and I swear I'm college educated. Not finished with coffee yet.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    its just that people have made me feel like because I don't measure/weigh my food I wont lose weight. im always open to suggestions and listen to what others who have been there have to say but some things just don't make sense all of the time. since im just starting off I just want to be able to do this the right way
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    its just that people have made me feel like because I don't measure/weigh my food I wont lose weight. im always open to suggestions and listen to what others who have been there have to say but some things just don't make sense all of the time. since im just starting off I just want to be able to do this the right way

People have been losing weight long before they weighed and measured. All it requires is calorie deficit, which can be achieved a lot of different ways. Pretty much any plan that cuts out food groups (Paleo, Atkins) operates by creating a calorie deficit without needing to count.

I started out with just "eating less" and it did work. I just didn't care for it because it seemed so vague and imprecise.

eta: I don't think that weighing is the "wrong" way, obviously, since that's what I do. I think there are lots of "right" ways.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you aren't aiming for 100% accuracy, your weight loss may not be quite as consistent as someone who does weigh everything, but you can still lose no problem. Just keep in mind that most people underestimate calories eaten when not measuring ( my idea of a medium sized fruit, for example, may be completely different from yours) but you don't want to overcompensate for the natural tendency to underestimate and end up not eating enough.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There is no right way.

While measuring and weighing every ounce might help one person a lot, another person might be find that too time-consuming and obsessive.

Whatever works for YOU. That's what is best for YOU.

Some people just adjust their portions. Their goal is losing weight, period. Others make total lifestyle changes, adding healthy foods and getting rid of unhealthy ones.

Some people plan their meals; some wing it.

Some eat at specified times; some eat when they're hungry.

Some exercise and some don't.

We all walk our own path. You'll find yours. If the first thing you try doesn't work out, you can try something else. :)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I've never weighed my food. There came a point where I had to ask myself how far into this I wanted to go and I drew the line at measuring my food. I didn't want to become that obsessive about it. However, I have nothing against people weighing their food and I agree, the less weight you have to lose, the smaller the deficit, the bigger the margin of error. So if you stall in your weight loss then measuring might be the thing that gets you through that plateau.

But to answer your question, no, you don't HAVE to measure and you're not the only one who doesn't.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I do not measure my food - I become obsessed too easily. Now, I know as I get closer to my goal weight, I will probably have to, but for now, I do not measure for 100% accuracy.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options

How is measuring obsessive. I bake a lot so weighing and measuring is part of it, so you get a good end result. Takes a few extra seconds to weigh it.

Do you have to, no, but is it beneficial yes

One can easily become obsessed with numbers - have you ever suffered an eating disorder? It took me years in high school to overcome an eating disorder. I was so obsessed with numbers, measuring, weighing, counting, etc. that it scares me even 16 years later to do it. I don't want to fall back in the trap of it. However, I will be the first to agree that it is important to be accurate so you know that you are logging calories correctly. I will probably have to again as I get closer to my goal weight, but for now this is working for me. I'm pretty good at eyeing stuff after years of being obsessed with measuring, etc.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I didn't measure my food and I lost a little over 25 lbs in about a year. I think I could have done it faster or more consistently if I had started weighing my food though. I hit maintenance but put back on a couple pounds this summer which are stubbornly refusing to go anywhere. I've been trying to decide between getting a food scale or lowering my calories a bit and keeping them under my TDEE when I do get back to where I want, just to allow myself some margin of error if I don't weigh my food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 pounds without it. Then got tired of depriving myself and leaving a big margin of error 'just in case' (I wasn't eating my exercise calories back). So I got a food scale, realized some of my estimations were way off, and now I can eat ice cream and I know for sure it's not going to put me over.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Um, so what is the point of being on MFP if documenting your food accurately doesn't happen? What do you even enter in the diary? The point is to do so to know if you are eating too much, too little or the wrong things. If you were just going to choose to just eat less there would be no need for an online food diary community for you. I do understand the whole obsession that develops during weight loss though, and understand some do not want to get in that state of mind. However, if you have a weight loss goal and want to achieve it, and you are on MFP documenting your food, be accurate! So, yes, measure. The majority of people who are successful at losing weight measure their food in one way or another.
    Actually, I measure about 80% of my food. When I eat with people who don't, they routinely overeat and if I remark on a high amount of calories in something we are eating they are surprised that it is as much as it is. Good example of being ignorant to volume and calories without measuring. It reminds me to keep measuring most of what I eat.
    Once you get a scale and a set or two of measure cups and spoons, it becomes routine and you lose that obsessive feeling after awhile. it is just a part of what you do. Just like if you were making a recipe you measure for. Consider it a recipe for your weight loss!
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't measure right now because I'm moving in a month and I don't want to buy anything new until I'm in my new house.
    However I live with someone who used to measure food for years so she's really good at estimating the weight of foods (though I know it can't be 100% correct).
    I don't weigh myself either, but I've lost a lot of inches from all over my body since starting.
    I also make sure to save the bulk of my calories for night when I eat most. And now I can actually feel when I've eaten too little or too much or when it's juussttt right :bigsmile: