Chicken and Pasta

Options
Kate7294
Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
A healthier version of Applebee's three cheese penne pasta with chicken...
Here's what I did....
Chicken part of recipe

I took 2 lbs of skinless boneless chicken breasts trimmed any fat on them, and then filleted them. Ended up with 8 pieces at approx. 4 oz each.
Next poured some 2% milk ( I used 3/4 cup) in a container to wet chicken pieces. Could probably substitute skim or other here.
On a plate I shook out a layer of my breadcrumbs **I used 1 cup of progresso plain breadcrumbs. Then added a dash of garlic powder, Italian seasonings, and repeated. So approx. 2-3 tbsps. garlic powder and 3 tsps. of Italian seasonings.
Prepare a pan with a layer of foil sprayed with cooking spray.
Dip your pieces first in milk to moisten and then coat in mix. Layer on your pan and drizzle with melted butter (I used 2 tbsp. sparingly of "I can't believe it's not butter").
Bake at 425 for approx. 20 minutes. I always cut a thicker piece to make sure cooked through.

Now prepare the pasta. 1 full box makes around 5 1 cup servings cooked. I boiled my full box of smart sense rotini noodles till al dente. Drain. I used 3 serving size portions of low moisture mozerella ( though you can substitute a fat free version or your mix of cheeses here; just be aware some may want more cheese and this may up your calorie counts).Now I added 3/4 cup 2% milk, 1 tbsp. flour, and stir. Mix in your noodles. Done.

One 4oz serving of chicken 181 calories 13 carbs 3 fat 25 protein 71 chol 1 sat fats
One cup prepared pasta 249 cals 42 carbs 5 fat 11 protein 12 chol 3 sat fats
Now plate up with home grown tomato small 24 cals 5 carbs 0 fat 1 protein 0 chol 0 sat fats

Total calories 454,60 carbs, 8 fats,37 protein, 83 chol,4 sat fats

Applebee's is 1000 calories per serving.

****Note I did use a dash of salt and pepper on my tomato slices but do not cook with salt often do to Husband having high blood pressure.