Under reporting in your food diary

Options
2»

Replies

• Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale to measure at home - it's an invaluable tool for accurately reporting food intakes. I also try to estimate my portion size before I actually measure it; I find that doing this has helped increase my knowledge of what actual portion sizes should look like, and has helped to increase my accuracy when I am in a position where I don't have access to a food scale (such as eating out). And like a previous poster stated - I overestimate if I am uncertain. Regardless though, there will always be some degree of inaccuracy unless you measure and cook all of your meals yourself, and even then it might not be perfectly accurate; you just have to do the best you can.
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    I try to report every single calorie, even if its a bite of one of my kids meals, lol, I will just add one a few calories to something else!
  • alyssarof2012
    alyssarof2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I overestimate my calories on purpose to prevent this (when I'm eating something I didn't receive a label with). I write down what I eat, rather than putting it on a site, its more accessible for me when I don't feel like getting to my computer; and I am more honest with myself about it when I write it down.
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thanks guys for your help. It is so often I forget the basics:

- if you eat it - record it ASAP (you will forget later)

- Until you learn portion sizing, take the opportunity to weigh and measure your food (it is worth investing a few bucks in some measuring cups and digital scales)

- Even the little things matter. Don't forget to add the oil you cooked in or that lethal creamy salad dressing

- if you are uncertain about something's calories best to play on the side of caution and either eat something else you know the count for or pick the worst similar example and not the best one (this is especially true for eating out, take out and pretty much anything that comes out of a factory)

- drink more water, eat all your veges, eat more protein, eat less foods with refined flour or sugar and be good to your mother.

cheers, Caprica