Adventure With 21 Day Fix

Options
Hi there!
I just wanted to connect with some other 21 Day fixers out there :smile:

I'm on Day#7 of my first round and love it so far! Please don't bother posting if your a BeachBody hater...I would like to keep this a positive place to meet others and maybe share some hints and celebrate successes...not get scolded like a 5 year old about how you think it's a scam.

No I'm not a coach (although I DO have a FABULOUS one), just someone trying to get healthy :happy:

So...here's to getting healthy!! :flowerforyou:

~ Betty

Replies

• northernchic
    northernchic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This was my first impression with the program...I posted previously...but sums it up pretty well

I started the 21 Day Fix on Monday (8/4/14) and am looking forward to (hopefully) a program that will keep my attention and provide accountability. This is my first experience with a Beachbody product, so I'm not too sure what to expect, but I will post here with my experience as I move through it smile

My First Impressions:

1) Holy Crap!!! Did Just Spent Over $100 for a Gimmick Diet?!?: So, I can totally see why people think this is gimmicky...and perhaps it is, but in my opinion if this (or ANY program) gives someone the boost that they need to get started...and they can afford it...then who cares?!?!? I realize "losing weight is free" and "all you need is a caloric deficit to lose weight!"...well...if wishes were horses beggars would ride...some of use need a little more than that. One thing I WILL give the naysayers is I do HATE the name...I understand weight loss is a lifetime commitment, not a "quick fix". It is my hope that the program will help me tame down my portions and help me develop some good habits.

2) Shakeology: *deep breath* I AM trying the Shakeology (although I almost died when I saw how much it was) as I am challenged with breakfasts and thought on work days this might be beneficial (AND I got them at a discounted price with my challenge pack)...however; unless they prove to be fantastically amazing and rainbows shoot out of my bum after drinking them, I anticipate I will switch to a more cost effective method for shakes...but we shall see...on a bright note some of the recipes look super yummy and this is the ONLY way I will be able to enjoy my coffee as I REFUSE to drink gray coffee...

3) The Diet Program: My FIRST thought was "OMG those containers are TINY and I'm going to DIE!!!" So, after I read the program (and took a FEW more deep cleansing breaths) my anxiety waned a little bit and I realized "okay...really, this is pretty comparable to what suggested portion amounts are in other programs...MAYBE I'll be eating until I'm sated NOT busting at the seams".

4) The Exercise: Really this is what scares me the most...in ALL of my dieting career, and yes it has been long and colorful... I exercise has ALWAYS been my nemesis. It is a 7 day/week 30 minutes/day commitment and I have *NEVER* done this...no REALLY...I can say with 100% certainty I have NEVER exercised for 7-days in a row...this might be why I have a chronic case of the chubbies...but there it is...

5) Accountability: My coach (who is also a friend of mine so easy on the hate speech about BB coaches) uses a closed Facebook group for posting. The expectation is you are posting daily with your progress/ideas/support/etc. I have to admit I am looking forward to this the most.
  • Fitmom120811
    Fitmom120811 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am a beach body coach and I focus on 21 df and I LOVE IT. I am so happy to read your feeling great about this and really like it to. Are you still going with it?
  • northernchic
    Options
    I am!! I'll be doing my measurements for the end of my first challenge tomorrow!! My goal for the challenge was to lose 6lbs and I've lost 7!! Can't wait to see the inches :happy:

I think what has made this successful for me is the combination of a diet plan AND a specific exercise regimen. I've only missed two days exercising out of the 3 weeks...and one of those (yoga day) I made up the next day...that is absolutely unheard of for me!! I've NEVER stuck with an exercise regime THIS long...it's quite empowering!!

Thank for saying hello!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    What's a beach body hater?

Had you not mentioned the word "beach body", I would not have known that your diet program is from the beach body program, yet I would have still held the same opinion. And, my first question would have been:

What are you trying to fix in 21 days?

Next, I would have said: there is no magic in the 21 day fix, or any other "fix" or diet for that matter. The secret to losing weight is to eat less than you burn, and what type of "diet" you choose is irrelevant and personal preference only.

That said, the best of luck on your adventure. :smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Those places have their own discussion boards. If you're really looking to discuss it with others who buy the same stuff, you'll probably find more of them there.

Most people here are losing weight for free.

Not that you can't have your thread!! Just that if that's what you really want to do, you'd probably find more people who bought it on their site.
  • sharayahf
    sharayahf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!

My name is Sharayah and today is day #1 of me starting the 21 Day Fix. I've always had a really hard time staying on track with meal plans and I stay stuck within 5 lbs of my current weight and I really want to get out of that and finally be at the place that I want to be. It's definitely all mental for me, subconsciously I believe I sabotage myself whenever I start.
    Anyways! I'm currently going through kind of a rough time and focusing on fitness and getting healthy I know will be the perfect medicine for me! So I'm trying to really focus on this and follow through! It's great to know that there are other people out there that are doing it with me and that I can be accountable too!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It's been 15 days. Are you almost fixed?
  • monie5903
    monie5903 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I kind of don't like how people are supporting but yet mocking you in this thread for doing 21 day fix? I thought the point of MFP is to be able to be a community in which we support one another, in whatever way we choose to lose the weight? The beauty is that you can always find someone in a similar boat as you whether it's goal, program choice, etc. So if one decides to take a beachbody program and use it to accomplish their goals, what's the difference from paying to go to the gym instead of using the outdoors which is free? I support you on your 21 fix jounrey. I know people who have completed it and love it because not only is it 7, 30 min exercises a week, but it also helps you to get your clean eating on track :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I thought the point of MFP is to be able to be a community in which we support one another, in whatever way we choose to lose the weight?
    Thats definitely not the official position. The unofficial position is that people can be very unaccepting of quackery, fads, bro science, salespeople, etc.
  • monie5903
    monie5903 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hear you but I didn't feel like the thread was started to push anyone to buy into the program. It was just someone looking to reach out to others who were/are doing the program as well. Of course, we should be able to make friends with somone so we can encourage them to make better choices, but if the person starting the thread is working out with this program, kudos to her! She is working towards her goal of losing weight.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Not a coach, nor do I do the program, but I believe the point of the 21 Day Fix, is to help you make something a habit. It takes 21 days to make or break a habit. After the 21 days you should have developed the habit of exercising and eating better/portion control.

Good luck OP!
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Not a coach, nor do I do the program, but I believe the point of the 21 Day Fix, is to help you make something a habit. It takes 21 days to make or break a habit. After the 21 days you should have developed the habit of exercising and eating better/portion control.

Good luck OP!

You see, this is an example of a positive post. Some people on MFP practically trip over themselves in a hurry to tell you what is wrong with your plan. Yes we all know that its as simple as calories in/out, but some people use a program or plan to jump start their motivation. Its too bad that more people will not just say something positive like jdhcm2006 instead of cutting someone down.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Good luck OP!
    I've heard it takes 30 days, 60 days, and a year to make a habit, but I don't believe that any more than I believe it takes 21 days. Habits are an everyday thing when it comes to portion control, and a person can lose that habit any time they choose.

That diet is a fad and contains nothing special regarding weight loss.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Good luck OP!

The point of the 21 day fix is to choose a program number that was long enough that people will see enough weight loss to claim it works, but short enough that they'll be able to complete the program, tout the results to their friends, and sell more product.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Good luck OP!
    I've heard it takes 30 days, 60 days, and a year to make a habit, but I don't believe that any more than I believe it takes 21 days. Habits are an everyday thing when it comes to portion control, and a person can lose that habit any time they choose.

That diet is a fad and contains nothing special regarding weight loss.

I've only heard 21 days to make a habit (way before this program came out). Idk if I would say it's a diet, because I don't believe it tells you any foods are off limits or will magically make anything happen. It tells you to eat within your portions. I just started follow the trainer on YT (her workout vids are pretty good) and she makes it a point to say in the YT vids that it takes hard work and dedication, that there aren't any miracles. So I don't think she's trying to scam anyone.

I know of her because I like BB workouts (I've done T25, Insanity, P90X3). Some people, me included, need a set schedule for when to do things. I could never come up with my own fitness schedule, so it's nice to have a calendar and just pop in a video.
  • northernchic
    Options
    WOW...leave a thread for a few days and the freakin trolls come out!!!

FIRST of all, thank you so much for those posting positively, that is what SOME of us are here for...a supportive community of like-minded people.

SECOND...well thanks to some of you for exemplifying what it means to be a hater...seriously I wasn't looking for your self righteous opinions of why YOU think something that is working for me and MANY other people sucks. Furthermore I have met MANY people with the same interest in this program on MFP and I am actually using this site in conjunction with the 21 Day Fix program to help me track and maintain my progress and ensure I am taking in appropriate nutrition.

If you had bothered to read my first post I discussed how I am not viewing this as a "quick fix" but rather a way to motivate myself for a change in behaviors. Trust me...if anyone knows it is going to take more than 21 lousy days to develop a new habit it's me!! This program has promoted both diet and exercise changes in me that NO other program has been able to do and I am in this for the long haul.

Do I think it is a safe/realistic/attainable goal to loose 15lbs in 21 days?? ABSOLUTELY not!! THAT is not what I'm trying to do...forgive me for trying to find some like-minded people along the way!!! So for the love of christ if you're not interested in this program PLEASE stop posting here and go vomit your unwanted opinions elsewhere!!

OKAY..so rant over...
  • northernchic
    Options
    Hello!

My name is Sharayah and today is day #1 of me starting the 21 Day Fix. I've always had a really hard time staying on track with meal plans and I stay stuck within 5 lbs of my current weight and I really want to get out of that and finally be at the place that I want to be. It's definitely all mental for me, subconsciously I believe I sabotage myself whenever I start.
    Anyways! I'm currently going through kind of a rough time and focusing on fitness and getting healthy I know will be the perfect medicine for me! So I'm trying to really focus on this and follow through! It's great to know that there are other people out there that are doing it with me and that I can be accountable too!

That's awesome Sharayah! I just finished my first round of 3 weeks yesterday and moving onto round two today!! I'm still loving it so far and finding the meal plan is fitting nicely into my routine. Good luck and let me know how you're doing!!
  • northernchic
    Options
    It's been 15 days. Are you almost fixed?

NOT even close, but I'm still on program and I feel great!!... :drinker:
  • northernchic
    Options
    End of Round 1!!

So I survived round 1!! Throughout the 21 days I only missed 2 of the workouts and can see a difference in my performance with each week! The official numbers:

Down 7lbs
    Down 5.75 inches

I'm still trying to track my food a few times per week, the only thing I do get concerned with about the diet plan is that it is not enough calories, but so far so good now that I'm more aware!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    WOW...leave a thread for a few days and the freakin trolls come out!!!

FIRST of all, thank you so much for those posting positively, that is what SOME of us are here for...a supportive community of like-minded people.

SECOND...well thanks to some of you for exemplifying what it means to be a hater...seriously I wasn't looking for your self righteous opinions of why YOU think something that is working for me and MANY other people sucks. Furthermore I have met MANY people with the same interest in this program on MFP and I am actually using this site in conjunction with the 21 Day Fix program to help me track and maintain my progress and ensure I am taking in appropriate nutrition.

If you had bothered to read my first post I discussed how I am not viewing this as a "quick fix" but rather a way to motivate myself for a change in behaviors. Trust me...if anyone knows it is going to take more than 21 lousy days to develop a new habit it's me!! This program has promoted both diet and exercise changes in me that NO other program has been able to do and I am in this for the long haul.

Do I think it is a safe/realistic/attainable goal to loose 15lbs in 21 days?? ABSOLUTELY not!! THAT is not what I'm trying to do...forgive me for trying to find some like-minded people along the way!!! So for the love of christ if you're not interested in this program PLEASE stop posting here and go vomit your unwanted opinions elsewhere!!

OKAY..so rant over...
    Wow, Just wow.