Using fit bit one with my fitness pal - looking for advice

Options
rh091
rh091 Posts: 100 Member
I just started using my fitness pal with fit bit (I have the fit bit one) and have allowed for fit bit to make calorie adjustments. I enter all my food and exercise in my fitness pal and let fit bit track my steps. I'm looking for insight/advice on accuracy and how best to use this combination of tools! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I let the fitbit do its thing, sometimes I log weight training, other times I don't if i wasn't as accurate with measuring food.
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    So you don't actually manually log any cardio exercise because the fit bit tracks the steps?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything on MFP (well, my food, obviously, but no exercise). I had it set to sedentary before I linked MFP and Fitbit so I just let it do its thing.

I log anything that's not steps-based on the Fitbit website. Lifting, cycling, and even physical therapy (I log it as mild stretching) all get logged on Fitbit.com. I don't log anything like walking, running, etc because the fitbit is already giving calories for those steps.

It seems reasonably accurate to me. I've been using it for a couple of months and my weight has been doing exactly what it should.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level to sedentary and then let fitbit give me calories based on my steps/activity for the day. I find the fitbit calorie adjustment to be more reasonable than the MFP calorie burns for cardio exercises. I log all cardio exercises as 1 calorie and lifting as 150 cals (I estimate that by lifting 4 days/week I am raising my TDEE by about 600 cals total). The cardio method has worked fantastically but I am still making adjustments to the lifting.