Looking for the unmotivated

Options
Hi All,

When reading about folks that have lost a significant amount of weight their stories always include a motivating reason. A lot of times the reason for weight loss will be due to a health scare or because some one is just not happy with the way they look, or because they can't keep up with the kids, etc. It clearly seems that in order for success to happen there must be some life changing moment to have occurred. This is when things get difficult for me. I really have no reason to be thin. My blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, and general blood work are all good. According to the doctor I am very healthy....except that I am fat. I look at pictures and clearly I am overweight but I feel happy with how I look. I'm single so I do not have to take into consideration my husband's needs. So I guess what I'm trying to say is ..... Is there anyone out there that is trying to lose weight just because it is the right thing to do? What keeps you motivated when you don't have a higher motivation to see you through the journey?

Thanks in advance,
Tracie

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that you are missing something here. If you are happy with the way you look, and aren't looking to get healthier, why are you even on MFP? No one says losing weight is the "right" thing to do ; to me, that implies some sort of moral connection to fat and thin. And, at least for me, that simply does not exist. Seems like maybe you want to lose weight..... You're here....so think very hard. What is your why? I think you have one, if you are willing to be really honest with yourself.
  • _Stardust_
    _Stardust_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    <3
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i didn't need a reason why either, in fact, 2 years ago when i stumbled onto MFP, i was actually looking for fun walking routes for me and my dog to go on. lol, i have no idea how i ended up here, but i filled out the profile, and said, meh, ill try it for a week and see how it goes…2 years, 100 pounds and over 400 walks with my dog, I'm still here. i didn't have a medical reason and i was pretty content with the way my life was. Sometimes you can just do it. motivation will come and go, your reasons for a healthier life will change, getting up and just doing it will always be constant.
  • maryanndambrogio
    maryanndambrogio Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    always had been on yo-yo diets all my life and then after having kids my llife changes has been eating this and gaining back triple the weight.. happy depress you can name it... medications and more health issues.. later on all this weight can lead to diabetes and other health issues so i have to prove myself to lose the weight or end up with more health issues... now i made a choice not to end up like certain members in my family with sugar diabetes it scares me to death.. iam boarderline and want to keep it in control with diet and exercise... i don;t want to end up in a wheelchair with no legs or arms etc.. i am going to fight this dreadful diease and get my life in control....:laugh: :wink: :smile: :happy: :tongue: :love: :bigsmile: :blushing: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: learn to love yourself more often
  • EnitanDreamer
    EnitanDreamer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've just signed up and have been feeling the same, but at the same time I am quite uncomfortable with the way I feel when it comes to normal day to day tasks one of them being breathing heavy a lot. I just want to be the best me and keep it off for good now.
  • evsplava
    evsplava Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated is I don't have the money later on to be able to afford to have diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholestrol. I am also a bit of a princess. When I purchase an article of clothing in an expensive fabric such as silk, cashmere, or leather I would like it to fit nicely rather than outgrowing it. I too am overweight so I work hard so overweight doesn't turn into obese. I became unhappy with how I looked when my weight hit 188 pounds and I was a size 16. My question would be what has to happen in order for you to be unhappy to lose the weight?
  • Audreybell1
    Options
    Hi everyone my name is Audrey I have been YO YO for at least 25 yrs I lose 50 gain 60 lose 50 gain 30 . I have to loose this fat this time I'll explain why.
    My Cousin died Jusly 26th of a massive heart attack and when I look back I realized that I have so many of my family die before they were even 65. Both of my grandparents, 2 Cousins (55 & 60) and my brother has had a few heart attacks 2 being this year. I want to break this cycle. l have to many things to look forward to we have 3 beautiful grown daughters, 5 granddaughters & 2 Grandsons. Tuesday they are inducing our oldest Granddaughter with our first Great Granddaughter and in Feb will have another Great Grandchild. I want to live and watch them grow up. I don't want my husband and Children to go through the pain I have watching everyone I love die.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I am at war with myself daily. On one side is my desperate need to eat whatever I want, whenever I want and on the other is my desire to be physically fit and age well. I take it one day at a time.
  • Silverlight2005
    Options
    I feel exactly the same, except that I'm quite happy with how I look. I just know I should be a lot lighter, and so I've started thinking about it...

But I really don't want to do it :)
  • kmradley
    kmradley Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey I have been unmotivated too and yeah, sadly, the thing that changes a persons motivation is that "AHA!" moment where something has to change. Sometimes that "AHA!" moment is huge, sometimes it's small and internal.

This helps me:
    I read a lot of inspirational stuff by Tony Robbins (he's not for everybody, but I like what he says and I feel like it makes sense).
    Tony says that there are two things that shape human behavior: the carrot and the stick. In other words, all human behavior is based on the desire to avoid pain and the desire to pursue pleasure. And sadly, avoiding pain tends to be a much more powerful motivator than pursuing pleasure. Being overweight has a lot of pain to it, but the pleasure of having your favorite cookie is immediate and immensely pleasurable.

You can cause yourself to have that "AHA" moment if you just take some time to think about what you really want. I mean, if you took some time and just sit down and write on a page how you feel about being overweight. How do you feel like others perceive you? How do you feel physically, do you get tired more often etc. (You can write positive things or negative things, but be thorough, don't leave anything out.)

Then pretend like you haven't changed any of your habits, and fast forward a year. Did you gain weight or lose it or did you stay the same? How does your body feel a year from now if there's no change? How do you feel emotionally about that? Does your health affect your family, friends, loved ones, your job, your education? Do you have an abundance of energy? Are you doing what you dream? Close your eyes and try to really feel how you would feel in a year with no change, internalize it and make it real.

Then pretend you haven't changed any of your habits, and fast forward ten years. Did you gain weight or lose it? Are you starting to have health issues because of weight gain? It's hard when you're young, but things like diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, back pain, foot pain, leg pain, knee pain can all be reality for overweight people as they age. Ten years from now, does it affect your emotional life, your family, friends, loved ones, your job, your education? Do you have an abundance of energy? Are you doing what you dream? Close your eyes and try to really feel how you would feel in a year with no change, internalize it and make it real.

Then pretend you haven't changed any of those habits, fast forward twenty years. Did you gain weight or lost it? Are you starting to have health issues because of weight gain? How do you feel emotionally about where you are in the distant future? How does it affect you physically? What do you look like? What do you feel like? Close your eyes and feel that feeling. Write it. Internalize that feeling.

You don't have to share what you feel with anybody, but make sure you are 100% honest with yourself, because it's you and only you that has to live out the reality you paint for yourself in your future.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i'm confused. what's a "higher motivation"?

what motivates is unique to the individual and if some guy wants to lose weight to improve his chances picking up chicks at the bar it's just as valid as someone doing it because their doctor told him he had to if he wanted to see his kids go to college. whatever a person's issue is, it's as serious to them as a heart attack. it's other people that slap the label and try to grade it. i grimace every time i hear someone talk about "doing it for the right reasons". do it for whatever reason you damn well please; it's your life, not other people's.
  • barefoottraveller
    Options
    I think I understand what you are saying. It is the right thing to do, because why continue being unhealthy/ overweight/ whatever if you are capable of changing it? Sometimes I do thing there is a "moral" imperative if you will, of changing my consumption because, well, why should I take more than my share?

I have no kids, I have a husband, but I don't currently have any pressing or debilitating conditions. I just want to get healthy. A friend and I have decided to sort of strive together to become healthier people. I think what motivates me, albeit, briefly, since I have never really given it a go more than a day or two, is the idea that I should constantly strive to be healthier, a good example for others, and I think it would be nice to shop for clothes in a normal store.

Maybe this isn't what you meant, but that is how I see it.