One year, 50 pounds (w/ pictures and a question)

Options
In May 2013, at the age of 33, I made a decision to get in shape. I had gotten up to about 215 pounds, which at the height of 5'9" put me in the obese range (according to BMI). I had a belly that looked like I was in the second trimester, and my physical fitness was pathetic. Over the past year, I've lost about 50 pounds, drastically improved my strength, speed, and stamina, and also solved several chronic health problem. Last summer, I ran my first 5k (in almost ten years) in 35 minutes. Now I can run 8-9 miles, and last month I ran a 5k in about 24 minutes. I lift three times a week, and my abs are starting to become visible, although I still carry a little fat on my lower back and a couple other places. I intend to keep working out, build some more muscle, and gradually burn off the last of the excess fat.

The first photo in the collage below is after about a month or two of semi-serious work, the second photo is at the half-way point, and the third photo is from a little over a month ago (I'm applying face paint for the Germany-Algeria game). I've continued to progress gradually since then, but don't look too much different.

96a8ae68-213e-42f4-9f7a-bd6d863bb60a_zps7de45196.jpg

Now here's my question, which requires a little context. I've suffered from poor health since my early 20s, with unexplained symptoms such as poor sleep, difficult breathing, sinus congestion, indigestion, chronic fatigue, and pain through the mid-face region. I was at a normal BMI when these problems began, but they were made worse when I gained weight. As I've lost weight and improved my fitness over the last year, I've felt much better, but the symptoms partially return if I eat too much over a few days. Then I start to feel better again when I cut the calories back.

I want to understand what's going on here. Could this be poor blood sugar regulation? Although I wasn't overweight (according to BMI) during many of the years I've been ill, I understand that visceral fat can still cause insulin resistance even for people who look thin. I know, for example, that in certain populations (such as South Asian) there's a risk of diabetes at a much lower BMI than in Western populations. I'm obviously of European ancestry, but I wonder if I'm just an unlucky outlier who also needs to maintain a lower BMI. Has anyone heard of (or experienced) anything like this?

I want to emphasize that I'm very happy with my results over the past year. I'm just curious whether I can expect further health improvements if I get leaner. This will help me decide whether to focus on more weight loss, or to think about increasing calories for muscle growth.

Replies

• Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    I don't see pictures sir!
  • davidoneil13
    davidoneil13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Fixed!
  • Spnneil06
    Options
    I can't help w your question because I am not a doctor, but you look great! Congrats!
  • davidoneil13
    Options
    Thanks! Compliments are very welcome too!
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This is definitely something that only a doctor is going to be answer for you, and even then, likely only after taking blood and running tests.
  • mbrough58
    mbrough58 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Very interesting hypothesis. Keep tracking your experiences and share the information with your doctor.
    Congratulations on your success!
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!!

Have you checked into Sleep Apnea? It can cause all kinds of weird effects. Def talk to your doctor about your symptoms!!!
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems when I eat poorly for multiple days in a row. My guess is its probably all the chemicals in the processed foods that are the culprit. I am type 2 diabetic as well, but mine is under control as long as I stay away from processed food. Just a guess for me. Everyone is different but it might be worth experimenting with.

By the way, great job! You look amazing!
  • Spnneil06
    Options
    Thanks! Compliments are very welcome too!

Right? Compliments are always great!
  • davidoneil13
    Options
    Unfortunately, doctors have been unhelpful. Their usual response was something like, "but you look healthy," and by the time I no longer looked healthy I had given up talking to them. I did have a lot of tests, but I don't think I was ever checked for the conditions associated with obesity (such as glucose tolerance) because my weight was normal. At this point I don't know if I want to bother anymore.

To everyone responding, I am not looking for medical advice on this forum. I'm just curious if others have had a similar experience, where full recovery of health required reaching a below-average level of leanness.
  • davidoneil13
    Options
    Congrats on your success!!

Have you checked into Sleep Apnea? It can cause all kinds of weird effects. Def talk to your doctor about your symptoms!!!

Actually, yes! That was one of things I tested positive for, but the CPAP just made it worse (like 40 arousals an hour). I guess it's possible that a heavy calorie load just makes my sleep worse, and that's why I'm so much worse after a day or two of overeating.
  • davidoneil13
    Options
    I have the same problems when I eat poorly for multiple days in a row. My guess is its probably all the chemicals in the processed foods that are the culprit. I am type 2 diabetic as well, but mine is under control as long as I stay away from processed food. Just a guess for me. Everyone is different but it might be worth experimenting with.

By the way, great job! You look amazing!

For me, it doesn't seem to matter if the food is natural or processed, but otherwise it sounds like we have similar experiences.
  • davidoneil13
    Options
    David,

I am not a doctor but have an educated enough guess regarding many of your symptoms. My father suffered from indigestion, headaches, poor sleep, fatigue and was easily agitated. Breathing issues were on and off, but overall he simply felt crap a great deal of the time. At the age of 87 he was rushed to a prestigious hospital with a mysterious shutdown of his intestines and it still took my suggesting they check for Celiac Disease - the surgeon literally rolled his eyes at my insistence of a blood test. Long story short, my dad is a Celiac and was undiagnosed for decades, but ALL of his symptoms vanished once he set out on a gluten free diet. The doctor said that being of Western Irish descent heavily predisposes one to carrying the two Celiac Disease genes and that it was a shame he was undiagnosed for almost his entire life.

Trust me, if it is gluten that leaves you feeling generally unwell taking gluten out of your diet for a week will lead to very obvious positive changes. As a child of a Celiac I was tested and told I am only gluten intolerant - meaning gluten won't cause permanent damage to my health, but it certainly makes me feel rough overall. I get a raspy asthma like thing in my lungs, chronic insomnia and migraines if I overdo gluten on any given day. When I am strict in removing gluten I feel a decade younger and actually manage to sleep before the sun comes up - gluten brings on wicked all night sleeplessness!

Oh lastly, my father did suffer from shakiness and erratic blood sugar before being diagnosed - I can remember him holding on to a railing once and thinking it was low blood sugar, but all these things went away within days of dropping gluten. The thing is all the doctors he had seen over the many decades wrote the many symptoms off as stress related or simply part of the aging process. Do yourself a favor and spend a few minutes researching your symptoms online as American doctors are so behind the rest of the world when it comes to understanding how gluten can significantly rock the health of their patients.

I hope you don't misconstrue my lengthy post as being pushy - it is just you mentioned so many of my father's symptoms that I felt the need to share. Congrats on the weight loss and best of luck to you.

Thanks for this thoughtful reply! I agree that many of my symptoms are consistent with a diagnosis of Celiac Disease, and this was one of my first thoughts when I was younger. My blood test was negative, but I tried a gluten-free diet for a couple years anyway. It seemed to help for a little while, but now I think that's just because it required me to cut calories. When I learned about all the GF-alternatives out there and started eating more, the problems returned. In fact, I've tried lots of different diets (low carb, low fat, paleo, etc.) and it seems the only thing that matters is a calorie deficit.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    "In fact, I've tried lots of different diets (low carb, low fat, paleo, etc.) and it seems the only thing that matters is a calorie deficit."

If that seems to work, then maybe that's the answer. In the labs, calorie-deprived rats are the healthiest and live the longest!

Great work, by the way! I'm encouraged -- I'd like to run a 5K some day and if I keep working on it as you did, maybe I will.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    "poor sleep, difficult breathing, sinus congestion, indigestion, chronic fatigue, and pain through the mid-face region"

Have you been tested for food allergies? Maybe it is WHAT you are eating not the amount you are eating. My daughter has had severe food allergies since about 4 months old. She had similar symptoms, as well as eczema.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    You've made some really great progress there! Wonderful!! I hope you also find some answers with your other health issues. I understand all too well how hard it can be getting answers.:flowerforyou:
  • davidoneil13
    Options
    "In fact, I've tried lots of different diets (low carb, low fat, paleo, etc.) and it seems the only thing that matters is a calorie deficit."

If that seems to work, then maybe that's the answer. In the labs, calorie-deprived rats are the healthiest and live the longest!

Great work, by the way! I'm encouraged -- I'd like to run a 5K some day and if I keep working on it as you did, maybe I will.

That's true. You've probably heard the one about the guy who goes to the doctor and says, "It hurts when I do this. What should I do?" And the doctor replies, "Don't do that anymore!" I sort of answer my own question in my post, but I'm hoping for reinforcement from people who have done the same thing.

The studies on calorie deprivation are interesting. I'm hoping at a certain level of leanness I can increase my calories a bit, though, because I like to eat!

EDIT: Good luck on your 5k! Running is all kinds of painful when you start, but it gets much easier if you stick with it.
  • Rebel_Stout
    Rebel_Stout Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! You look amazing.

I'd really recommend asking your doctor for a comprehensive blood test, in which they test for Celiac, your fasting glucose, and thyroid along with many other things. If you have access to look at your results, look at them. If you are in the high end of the normal range for anything, talk to you doctor about it. Some doctors will see that it's "normal" and let it be, but some will say it's not normal for you. If your doctor dismisses you, get a new doctor. You know yourself and you have to live with your health, you have to advocate for yourself. I can tell that you are educated and well informed and know yourself well. So if your doctor doesn't work for you, get one who will. Best regards!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!