Eating ~1000 calories a day?

Options
Is it a big deal if I eat only 1000 calories a day?

It's not like I am starving myself or anything like that; its just that when I eat healthy by the end of the day thats exactly how much I tend to eat (and I do work out). So I understand I would be at a great calorie deficient but I don't feel like I'm starving and my meals are relatively large for the fact that I'm dieting. (Its just that I pick a lot of low-calorie options).

I feel fine and healthy. And yeah I have lost about 10 pounds so far since eating like this in the past 6ish weeks. Is this a problem? Will my metabolism be ruined? I want to do this right but I feel like eating the minimum 1200 calories a day would be forcing me to eat more than what I really care for.

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    No one is going to tell you it's a good idea unless you're like 4 foot seven and already pretty lightweight. And that is because it isn't a good idea, at least if you aren't under a doctor's care. But if you insist, at very least you need a good multivitamin and some vitamins, like potassium, are still hard to get enough of, plus it's best to get your vitamins from food anyway.

MFP is good. But because I subsist on 1200 calories a day and try to get as many nutrients from food as possible, I like cronometer. It has a layout for people who are really into tracking every last nutrient. I log my food on both every day. It has a free version and you might want to check it out. Even though you still should up those calories to at least 1200 and probably more if you're active. I'm old and slothy and even I need that many.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    No one is going to tell you it's a good idea unless you're like 4 foot seven and already pretty lightweight. And that is because it isn't a good idea, at least if you aren't under a doctor's care. But if you insist, at very least you need a good multivitamin and some vitamins, like potassium, are still hard to get enough of, plus it's best to get your vitamins from food anyway.

MFP is good. But because I subsist on 1200 calories a day and try to get as many nutrients from food as possible, I like cronometer. It has a layout for people who are really into tracking every last nutrient. I log my food on both every day. It has a free version and you might want to check it out. Even though you still should up those calories to at least 1200 and probably more if you're active. I'm old and slothy and even I need that many.
    This
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes it's a big deal. Yes it is "like" you're starving yourself. Exactly like.

How many grams of protein and fat are you getting? Nutrition is more than just eating lots of vegetables and hoping for the best.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the fact that you're asking the question probably means you know it's not a goodthing.

eat your food.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old eats more than that.

I'm eating double what you do to maintain my current weight. Yes, that does sound bad.

"Healthy" is subjective. Especially when you're trying to get proper nutrition from basically nothing.

Of course you'll feel full on eating nothing but mass veggies. That doesn't make it healthy.

Your body needs X amount of calories to function properly, give it too little for too long you're risking jeopardizing muscle. ..like vital organs. And losing other muscle means you'll just look like a smaller version of your current self and not leaner.

I'm assuming you want fat loss and not just scale loss, right?

Fuel yourself and pick up a resistance training program.

Put some peanut butter, avacado, lean meats, ice cream in there
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

I just think this should be repeated.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

How many grams of protein and fat are you getting? Nutrition is more than just eating lots of vegetables and hoping for the best.

^That.

It's not about how full you feel. It's about giving your body what it needs.

Food gives us fuel (calories), and it also gives us nutrition. You can eat a giant plate full of lettuce and feel stuffed, but if that's what your diet looks like, you're not just missing out on fuel, you're also missing out on very necessary macro and micro-nutrients. You need to make sure you're meeting your body's minimum requirements when it comes to protein, dietary fat, and especially vitamins and minerals, and you should eat enough to support your activity level. At 1,000 calories a day, that's very difficult to do.
  • ramiromuniz1
    ramiromuniz1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You should definitely up your calories to at least 1200. But it all depends on your current weight, height, activity level and what your current goal is (ex. lose body fat, gain muscle, lose muscle for whatever reason lol)
    I dont mind helping you out and giving you my opinion.
    If you're having trouble meeting your calories/macros then eat things high in calories but low in satiety, not advising you to eat tons of junk food either. Peanut butter is good if you're having problems meeting your fat intake. Fruits are good in carbs. And of course a good whey protein will get your protein up. Just a couple of suggestions to up your calories
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Based on previous experience on MFP, it would not surprise me at all if that 1000 calories were total intake and the OP's net intake was much lower in reality.
  • niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I guess by now you're seeing it's not ok. . . . unless you want to lose muscle I guess :devil:
  • sydsquidlee
    sydsquidlee Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there if you are only eating a 1000 calories and not feeling hungry are you sure you are counting your calories correctly? Its an easy mistake when it comes to potion size if you are like I had a 1/2 cup of cereal for 140 calories when in reality you at a cup and a half.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

It's not like I am starving myself or anything like that; its just that when I eat healthy by the end of the day thats exactly how much I tend to eat (and I do work out). So I understand I would be at a great calorie deficient but I don't feel like I'm starving and my meals are relatively large for the fact that I'm dieting. (Its just that I pick a lot of low-calorie options).

I feel fine and healthy. And yeah I have lost about 10 pounds so far since eating like this in the past 6ish weeks. Is this a problem? Will my metabolism be ruined? I want to do this right but I feel like eating the minimum 1200 calories a day would be forcing me to eat more than what I really care for.

Um....do you care if much of your weight lost is lean muscle? Is the number on the scale the important thing, or do you want to look a certain way?

The bigger the deficit the harder it is for your body to support existing muscle. With 15 pounds to go, you don't have much reserves.

Slow & steady loss will help you keep the "lean" parts of your body while getting rid of jiggly fat.

Eating calorie dense foods will help. Nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado, full fat dairy or cheese. Not hard to add calories quickly with these foods.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

^That.

It's not about how full you feel. It's about giving your body what it needs.

Food gives us fuel (calories), and it also gives us nutrition. You can eat a giant plate full of lettuce and feel stuffed, but if that's what your diet looks like, you're not just missing out on fuel, you're also missing out on very necessary macro and micro-nutrients. You need to make sure you're meeting your body's minimum requirements when it comes to protein, dietary fat, and especially vitamins and minerals, and you should eat enough to support your activity level. At 1,000 calories a day, that's very difficult to do.

This!^

"Listen to your body"........and "I don't eat because I'm full" is such a load of crap.
  • AnjaliSD
    AnjaliSD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So, sort of in the same vain, I've been feeling pretty gross the past couple of days, and I've been eating about 1000 calories for the past two days (so yesterday and today). The reason being I just feel like my stomach doesn't want food in it.

Obviously this isn't going to be an ongoing thing, and normally I eat between 1300-1700 calories (got to enjoy the weekends, especially if you're exercising). But should I force myself to reach a 1200 minimum, or is it fine to just let it go every once in a while?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So, sort of in the same vain, I've been feeling pretty gross the past couple of days, and I've been eating about 1000 calories for the past two days (so yesterday and today). The reason being I just feel like my stomach doesn't want food in it.

Obviously this isn't going to be an ongoing thing, and normally I eat between 1300-1700 calories (got to enjoy the weekends, especially if you're exercising). But should I force myself to reach a 1200 minimum, or is it fine to just let it go every once in a while?

If you're sick one or two days will not hurt. But it's not good for it to be a habit.
  • AnjaliSD
    AnjaliSD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My love of food is WAY too strong to make a habit of this.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Terrible idea.

And yes, you are starving yourself.
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the replies!

Yeah I agree (and the thing is, I'm not just eating a whole bunch of veggies...). Its really my fat and carbs that get used up real quick and I'm really low in my daily consumption of protein so maybe I'll see about adding more calories into that. And probably making myself just work out everyday will allow me more calories (and therefore not keep myself as sedentary) because I really wont get anywhere without being active as well.

The only thing is I have trouble with also keeping my macros in balance as well since with high-protein foods usually comes either high fats (like nuts) or high carbs which off-sets my macro %'s. So I'll just have to keep adjusting my diet until I find a healthy way to consume a bit more and keep everything balanced. Thanks again!