Debate: calorie reduced diet or weight lift/body fat

Options
2»

Replies

• smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    "I just realized, we shouldn't be telling the men about this unless we want to be distracted by packages in spandex jogging by us, which can also cause stumbling or possibly whiplash and either way is awkward!"

Oh my god. I'm dying. My spin instructor gives me whiplash every Wednesday.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    "I just realized, we shouldn't be telling the men about this unless we want to be distracted by packages in spandex jogging by us, which can also cause stumbling or possibly whiplash and either way is awkward!"

LMAO!

Wear what you're comfortable in and just do it!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm also worried that losing weight with endurance workouts and low cal will lead to loose saggy skin and will eventually plateau because my metabolism will be blown.

WTF?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your answers. I should clarify, I'm not so much avoiding going to the gym in spandex or any other tight fitting clothing so much because of what people will think it's more because I'm just not comfortable and I feel like I need to enjoy myself working out and I don't feel as though I would in a gym setting where I'm feeling uncomfortable. At home, I can wear a bra and panties on my eliptical much to the enjoyment of my husband! Also, as a relatively new mum, I don't have much time at all so having the eliptical right beside my bed means I can't avoid it and I can get it done in the morning or if I'm watching Survivor after I'm zonked from working all day and taking care of my daughter all night. In fact, there is never an excuse to watch T.V. without moving!

So to recap so far the main suggestions are: Use interval training to rev metabolism and burn cals (on my eliptical)
    I should introduce weight lifting from the beginning not wait until I get to a lower weight
    I should use the calorie counting tool to reduce my calories and count them

I guess now the question is: How to introduce weight lifting? I'm wondering, for example, if I up the resistance on my eliptical is that "weight lifting"? I got the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I'm finding it very confusing to be honest. The workout sheets are all over the place. I'm wondering if I need to go to heavy lifting from the get go or should I build up my strength with more body resistance first and then as I lose weight, have more energy, etc. go towards heavy lifting?

Progressive increase of resistance on your elliptical does provide a minimum of resistance training. But the operating word is minimum. It's not the most effective method. Ideally resistance training is done with weights (for effectiveness) - spend the time getting NROL working for you. You'll be glad. Having said that - any strength program, NROL, bodyweight, yoga, etc ... Is only as good as you consistently do it. Pick one that you enjoy, and stick to it 2-3+ times a week.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your answers. I should clarify, I'm not so much avoiding going to the gym in spandex or any other tight fitting clothing so much because of what people will think it's more because I'm just not comfortable and I feel like I need to enjoy myself working out and I don't feel as though I would in a gym setting where I'm feeling uncomfortable. At home, I can wear a bra and panties on my eliptical much to the enjoyment of my husband! Also, as a relatively new mum, I don't have much time at all so having the eliptical right beside my bed means I can't avoid it and I can get it done in the morning or if I'm watching Survivor after I'm zonked from working all day and taking care of my daughter all night. In fact, there is never an excuse to watch T.V. without moving!

So to recap so far the main suggestions are: Use interval training to rev metabolism and burn cals (on my eliptical)
    I should introduce weight lifting from the beginning not wait until I get to a lower weight
    I should use the calorie counting tool to reduce my calories and count them

I guess now the question is: How to introduce weight lifting? I'm wondering, for example, if I up the resistance on my eliptical is that "weight lifting"? I got the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I'm finding it very confusing to be honest. The workout sheets are all over the place. I'm wondering if I need to go to heavy lifting from the get go or should I build up my strength with more body resistance first and then as I lose weight, have more energy, etc. go towards heavy lifting?

Look at Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength. They are very simple and make it easy to get started. Stronglifts consists of 2 workouts, A and B, and there is an app for both Android and iPhone that takes all the guesswork out. You can watch full videos of the two workouts on YouTube. You just need access to a squat rack and free weights wherever that may be for you.

I'm sure you will discover as I did that unless you are going to a gym full of asshats, nobody there is even gonna pay attention to what you are doing. And as a male, there was an ego check involved in starting a program at such light weights in comparison to what established lifters at my gym were doing. Following the guy who just squatted 3 plates (315 pounds), by getting up there and putting the little 2.5 pound weights on the bar will make a guy a little self conscious at first.

Personally, when I see a female hitting the free weights, regardless of how much she is lifting or how much she weights, it makes me smile because I know what she has to look forward to.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is not going to sound very scientific or data based, but my advice is to do the physical activity that you most enjoy doing. If you enjoy it, you'll stick with it. And that's the best exercise plan of all, IMHO.

It may not sound very scientific, but its actually pretty good advice.

OP: I would also suggest doing some sort of resistance training now to preserve muscle mass as you lose weight - which does not necessarily mean 'lifting heavy'. If you are ok with going to a gym, I would recommend something like Strong Curves by Brett Contreras to start with. However, ff you are not comfortable at the gym, look into home/body weight programs such as You Are Your Own Gym. You can do cardio anywhere - it does not have to be on a piece of 'gym equipment' - go for walks, take classes, go swimming pick an activity you enjoy, even if not 'traditional cardio' as long as you are moving it will burn calories.

As long as you do not go on a very low calorie diet or do excessive amounts of cardio, do not worry about your metabolism. It will decrease as you get lighter - but this is normal as you are carrying less around so your body is using less effort just to move. Keep your losses reasonable pace and try to preserve muscle mass by doing some resistance training (make sure it is a progressive loading one - i.e. the weights or reps increase as you progress and is one that keeps the rep ranges to below 15, otherwise it is endurance) and you will be doing all you can to keep your body 'tight' as you get smaller.
  • StalgiaPasternak
    StalgiaPasternak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. It's all so much to take in at the beginning. There is the eating to control, the workouts to get use to, and I'm a mum so I don' t have much spare time in general. I'll take this all into consideration and thank you again!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty foggy brained right now from a workout but I will pose one question. Why do women feel the need to go to the gym in spandex. I mean, if that's what you are most comfortable in, more power to ya. I have no problem with girls working out in bra and panties if it helps them feel comfortable enough to lift (I will, I have to admit, have to put blinders up so I can focus ;) ) but it, by no means, is a requirement to wear skin tight clothes in the gym. Guys manage to wear loose shorts and a T-shirt and do fine.,

Word, Joe!