Smoothie recipes :)

Options
VanessaVegana
VanessaVegana Posts: 36 Member
Just thought i'd share a link to some yummy smoothies with you all :)

http://www.peta2.com/lifestyle/5-healthy-smoothies/

Replies

• WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Some of those sound pretty good I will probably try some when I return to my protein shakes :) Might cut back on the spinach or kale personally - dont care for the taste too much. The one thing though Ive never understood - why frozen bananas? Is it to make it colder or do some people like the crunch, like adding ice does?
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Something to consider:

3/4 c. of Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt
    1 tbsp. of Qi'a Superfood (cranberry)
    1 tbsp. of Chocolate Elation granola
    6-8 dried cherries
    6-8 dried blueberries
    1 scoop of protein powder
    Honey to taste

Mix

If the blend is too dry, you can add 0-2% milk or Almond Milk to desired consistency.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My simple strawberry smoothie recipe:

1 cup (give or take) frozen strawberries
    1 cup orange juice
    1 cup plain non-fat yogurt (don't bother with greek, just the cheap stuff is fine)
    either - 1 scoop syntrax fuzzy navel or 1-2 packets splenda

with the syntrax it's 389 calories and filling enough to be a decent meal. without the syntrax it's 289. Don't try and use protein powder AND splenda - will be way too sweet.
  • sundevil17
    Options
    I'm just genuinely curious... why do people always add yogurt to smoothies? I've had smoothies with yogurt, but I never notice a taste difference. When I have smoothies, I really try to keep it cut down to only fruits and vegetables, almond milk, and a protein powder. I feel like yogurt is just empty calories.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Frozen bananas make the smoothie have a thicker, creamier texture. The bananas, and yogurt, too, help make a smoothie more reminiscent of the milk shake..
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My sister does most of the cooking and makes up a lot of dishes. How can I enter her recipes in the database.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Sungoddess, if you click on food, then in the bar above it says recipes, click on that and you can put any recipes you want in there, then you can send them to the database for everyone :happy:
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    For my smoothies I'll use whatever fruit I have on hand, normally strawberries, blueberries or bananas (or all 3!). And then I use fat-free cottage cheese or plain non-fat Greek yogurt to give my smoothies a protein boost. I actually don't like cottage cheese by itself but don't even taste it in the smoothie. I'll also add a little skim milk or almond milk. If the smoothie needs some sweetness I add a teaspoon of sugar-free vanilla pudding powder. Yummy!
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that info
  • lckamnetz
    Options
    My fav recipe (this blends flavor and nutrition, not just flavor, but it's still good!). I eat this as my meal for breakfast every morning.

1.5 cup frozen berries
    1 cup plain greek yogurt, nonfat (I like Danon Light 'n Fit)
    0.5 Cup Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Milk
    0.75 cup pasteurized egg whites (I use AllWhites)
    1 tsp chia seeds
    two scoops of vanilla protein powder (I use 3D Nutrition's Whey Protein - http://3dnutrition.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage)
    Fill the blender the rest of the way up with spinach (usually about 2-4 handfuls)

hawk057 - you really don't taste the spinach!

Instead of protein powder, especially on a non-workout day, you could also use some other sweetener, it will just modify the nutrition content - I've used truvia, agave nectar syrup, and Swerve confectioners sweetener and they make it just as yummy in my opinion.

As written, nutrition comes out at 487 calories, 47 carbs, 5g fat, 71g protein (reduced if you don't use protein powder, but it helps stay fuller longer)