best gps for trail running?

Options
Hi everyone!

I've been using Map My Run for trail runs and get different mileage each time. I have checked on maps/ hiking sites and know what the correct mileage should be on some of these runs, but for some there is no information available. I would prefer not to estimate.

Can anyone recommend a different app or GPS watch?

Thank you- and feel free to add me if you run trails, too :smile:

Replies

• dwhyte76
    Options
    I've have the Garmin Forerunner 210 for a year and I fit it to be very consistent. Using the foot pod accessory is great to see your cadence.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just got the garmin 220 and love it. It tracks cadence inside the watch in addition to gps and time of course. Can also add a HRM if you wish. Great watch.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for Garmin. I have the 210 and the GPS works out in the middle of nowhere!
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    perfect, thanks for the recommendations!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I like Endomondo although I use it only for walking. It takes into account changes in elevation and such to calculate calorie burn.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a different app or GPS watch?

As far as apps are concerned, they all take the signal from your phones GPS module, so in theory you shouldn't see a difference. That said I've found Strava has a more reliable trace than any of the rest, after that Endomondo and Runkeeper are pretty reliable.

The main hting would be whether you're running under trees and whether it's wet/ humid when you notice the issues? Rain, vegetation and moisture in the wair make a differnece to the strenght of the received signal, as the gPS spacecraft transmit in the microwave range.

A dedicated GPS set will enerally have a better antenna, making it more sensitive. It's then a question of finding the one that suits you best. The dcrainmaker review blog is very detailed and comprehensive and will help you make up your mind, although as others are saying the Garmin Forerunner series have a good reputation; 220 is solid, but if budget, or other uses, is an issue then the 310XT is also good. 620 is quite expensive for not much more than the 220.