protein shakes

Options
I read in two diffrent books that it is good to drink protein shakes.I started drinking them and quit because I was scared that it was going to make me gain weight. Does anyone know.I got the kind that the book suggested.Only 20 carbs and sugar free.

Replies

• butterfly4u2us
    Options
    I read in two diffrent books that it is good to drink protein shakes.I started drinking them and quit because I was scared that it was going to make me gain weight. Does anyone know.I got the kind that the book suggested.Only 20 carbs and sugar free.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I think muscle milk lite is like that and that brand in genreal doent taste all funny. it actually tastes kinda tasty!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    unless theres a reason why you need extra protein in your diet, I'd steer clear of them. Most people get plenty from the foods they eat anyway.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I drink an Arbonne shake (www.arbonne.com) when I don't have many calories left. They are 110 and full of vitamens and minerals, filling and actually taste somewhat good.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    When I need something for a post workout meal/snack - I drink the Boathouse Protein Shake - Vanilla Chai.

They come in lots of flavors but this one is specifically for protein - 10 grams with 160 calories. I drink 8oz after my workout which holds me until I get fix real food.
  • Actually - most people don't get most of the protein they need. We should have 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Women, especially pregnant and breastfeeding women should get at least 100 grams of protein per day. That is 4 meat servings - and that is hard to do when you are cutting back your calories and watching fat intake.

Most important - WATCH OUT FOR SUGAR AND CALORIES!! Even if you are an Olympic Powerlifter - you can get the benefit of a protein shake without getting all the junk.

Be sure that you are getting a high quality predigested whey protein - that doesn't mean already been chewed (which I originally thought) but that the protein molecules have been broken down and are more readily absorbed. Low quality protein shakes will give you a bloated feeling and can make you uncomfortable if you drink it just before you exercise

I have found an excellent protein shake that is easy to make and has a full meal's worth of vitamins and minerals. Advocare Meal Replacement Shakes have 24 grams of protein, 7 grams of fiber and are only 220 calories. And they taste like licking the bowl after you make cake batter!

I love these shakes, they are great for an on the run breakfast or lunch. Advocare also has a Muscle Gain and Post Workout Recovery shake. Both make great protein snacks. My 3 year old daughter drinks them. Think Ovaltine or Carnation Instant Breakfast only tons better.

Advocare products already were in the MFP food database, which is one of the reasons I joined this site - because I am lazy and liked that all the info had already been entered.

I hope this is helpful.
  • When I need something for a post workout meal/snack - I drink the Boathouse Protein Shake - Vanilla Chai.

They come in lots of flavors but this one is specifically for protein - 10 grams with 160 calories. I drink 8oz after my workout which holds me until I get fix real food.

Another excellent choice is Advocare Post Workout Recovery Shake. With 12 grams of protein and the vitamins and minerals necessary for endurance and to support muscle recovery and reduce soreness.

By the way, the Seattle Seahawks mix up one of those big orange drink containers with Post Worlout Recovery and they all stand in line to get their shakes after every workout & game.
  • Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I drink two protein shakes a day - they are 100 calories each - Designer Whey Chocolate...just mixed with water. I weight train 4 times a week so my body needs all the protein it can get to recover!

:smile:
  • fynendandi1
    fynendandi1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I drink soy protein shakes. But I am on a low carb high protein diet. I have been successful before loosing about 40 pounds, now i am trying to loose the rest. They have helped me but I suppose it depends on what diet you are focusing on.
  • zeelexhawk
    zeelexhawk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb's Whey Protein shakes in the mornings for breakfast and sometimes before I work out. I read something on an internet website that said the the best time to drink a protein shake is before working out. It is supposed to help the way the body burns fat during workouts. I have found that I have seen more results from my workouts when I include the shakes.

I also notice that I feel full longer when I have a shake. Usually I am not starving by lunchtime.
  • zeelexhawk
    zeelexhawk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb's Whey Protein shakes in the mornings for breakfast and sometimes before I work out. I read something on an internet website that said the the best time to drink a protein shake is before working out. It is supposed to help the way the body burns fat during workouts. I have found that I have seen more results from my workouts when I include the shakes.

I also notice that I feel full longer when I have a shake. Usually I am not starving by lunchtime.
    6099.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter