Why dieting doesn't usually work . Disturbing

Options
2»

Replies

• zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work because they force you to eat extremely boring, bland foods. You eventually get sick of it and crave the things that do taste good. Not many people realise it is actually possible to eat 20% tasty, 80% healthy. And if you're overweight, there is an element of needing to retrain your eating habits.
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have to add, just like a previous poster, I don't always register hunger or feeling full, I want more and keep going, there is no full button.

At a wedding everyone had three courses, the final being a triple truffle cake. It was huge, most people stopped halfway through, allI could think was "I want more". I didn't feel full, a while later my stomach hurt, but there was no "I've had enough" feeling.

Whereas my son (thank goodness) will be eating dessert and will get half way through and say "mummy I'm full up I'll save it for later" (small blessings!) . However, this may be random but I notice the little girls in playgroup, a few of them, when biscuits arrive, they keep going back for more...
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am always looking for the cause of things so forgive me. I can't make sense of things unless there is a scientific logical explanation. I am a binger, but my bingeing is much worse (and has been since I was a small child) when I have had free rein with food. Restriction didn't lead to bingeing, overeating.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I beg to differ. Dieting does work, but dieting mentality (i.e ridiculous restrictions, feeling miserable.. etc) is what doesn't work. That reduce in metabolism can actually be remedied by exercise. I have seen studies where people who did both calorie restriction and exercise (regardless if it's cardio or strength) were able to retain the same relative burn.

Here is one that handled cardio
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19198647

To summarize, all groups but the control and the calorie restriction + diet groups underwent metabolic adaptation (slowed metabolism)