Tabata Training Explained

tim_fitbuilt4life
tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello all,

Here is an excellent youtube video of Tabata Training. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95VLwKFd-hc&feature=related :love:

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    bumping for later read after church.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    I had a one month comp at a very nice gym near work and they have a weekly Tabata class. Kicks your butt, but it awesome! Thanks for posting this as some people think they only have to work out for 4 minutes....when really 1 complete Tabata cycle is 4 minutes and you should do about 4 full Tabata cycles.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Here is the problem I have with videos like this: the original Tabata study consisted of pedaling an exercise bike at 170% of VO2 max (and included 1 session of steady-state training per week).

So how does doing sets of abdominal crunches qualify as "Tabata training"?

Answer: it doesn't.

In their rush to promote themselves, people take these terms and concepts and just throw them around at random, without the slightest understanding of what they mean.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Thanks for the info... I am definately going to incorporate that into my workouts. I'm in the middle of P90X and incorporating extra cardio 5 days a week into the program but I may substitue 2 or 3 cardio sessions with Tabata training to see if that helps me burn the extra fat a little faster. The Tabata that I am familiar with has more to do with sprint training/jump rope or the jumping squats.

Does anyone know if doing Tabata daily vs 2 or 3 times a week improves your fat burning?
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Bumping for later!!!
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Bumping for later!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Thanks for the info... I am definately going to incorporate that into my workouts. I'm in the middle of P90X and incorporating extra cardio 5 days a week into the program but I may substitue 2 or 3 cardio sessions with Tabata training to see if that helps me burn the extra fat a little faster.

Does anyone know if doing Tabata daily vs 2 or 3 times a week improves your fat burning?

High-intensity workouts should not be done every day. Long-term that is a risky strategy. Even elite athletes only do those kinds of workouts a couple of times per week. There is a little bit of insanity going on in the fitness world right now. In some cases, a combination of too much high intensity work combined with lowered calorie intake can actually hinder fat loss.

"improving fat burning" is one of those terms you have to define before having a common reference for discussion.

1. The fuel burned during exercise has no effect on gaining or losing stored body fat. In other words, whether you burn primarily fat or primarily something else during a workout--it is inconsequential. The body will compensate the rest of the day, so that, after 24 hours, rate of fat oxidation and total fat oxidation will be equal, regardless of what happened during the workout.

2. Exercise does not improve overall fat oxidation. Training can improve the ability to utilize fat DURING the workout, but that, again, has no overall effect.

3. A number of studies have shown that, when total exercise calories burned are kept to a constant level, high-intensity workouts do result in a higher loss of fat compared to lower intensity steady-state workouts. The exact physiologic mechanism is not clear, although it is thought that higher-intensity workouts raise the levels of catecholamines such as epinephrine, which might have an effect. A number of different protocols have been used to show this effect. There is no reason to blindly chase after some mythical "tabata" method.

So, by all means, if you are not doing at HIIT cardio, include some in your routine, just don't get caught up in this "tabata" fad, and don't overdo it.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Thanks.... in some ways I found my own answer - from http://www.intervaltraining.net/tabata.html

You can do Tabata exercise with sprints, but it is far more adaptable than other forms of interval training. You can use exercises such as the front squat or push press if you are in the gym. Kettle bells work exceptionally well. Basically anything that you can put a large load on your biggest muscle groups. Be sure to use your large muscle groups otherwise you will get very little of the benefit.

(Note - make sure you are doing a front squat and not a standard squat, you will want to put the bar down!)

This is not a daily workout, if you can do this every day you are doing it wrong. Some people try it once a week but most end up doing tabata once or twice a month. None the less, it produces remarkable results for those brave enough to use it.

As a note: I am not looking to jump onto any craze or fad... I like to try new things and if I like them, incorporate them into my routine - it keeps it interesting for me and I have always been one that gets bored with "routine" and my motivation deminishes so I am always looking for variety. With respect to burning the fat -- I know it is a matter of calories in vs calories out along with lean body mass etc. Being who I am and a fan of instant gratification ... if something will push me along a little faster... I am all for it... but as common sense and logic tell me... this is a marathon... not a sprint.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Thanks.... in some ways I found my own answer - from http://www.intervaltraining.net/tabata.html

You can do Tabata exercise with sprints, but it is far more adaptable than other forms of interval training. You can use exercises such as the front squat or push press if you are in the gym. Kettle bells work exceptionally well. Basically anything that you can put a large load on your biggest muscle groups. Be sure to use your large muscle groups otherwise you will get very little of the benefit.

(Note - make sure you are doing a front squat and not a standard squat, you will want to put the bar down!)

This is not a daily workout, if you can do this every day you are doing it wrong. Some people try it once a week but most end up doing tabata once or twice a month. None the less, it produces remarkable results for those brave enough to use it.

As a note: I am not looking to jump onto any craze or fad... I like to try new things and if I like them, incorporate them into my routine - it keeps it interesting for me and I have always been one that gets bored with "routine" and my motivation deminishes so I am always looking for variety. With respect to burning the fat -- I know it is a matter of calories in vs calories out along with lean body mass etc. Being who I am and a fan of instant gratification ... if something will push me along a little faster... I am all for it... but as common sense and logic tell me... this is a marathon... not a sprint.
    thanks for THIS!:flowerforyou:
  • Here is the problem I have with videos like this: the original Tabata study consisted of pedaling an exercise bike at 170% of VO2 max (and included 1 session of steady-state training per week).

So how does doing sets of abdominal crunches qualify as "Tabata training"?

Answer: it doesn't.

In their rush to promote themselves, people take these terms and concepts and just throw them around at random, without the slightest understanding of what they mean.

Azdak, I think I love you. Thank you for posting that. Whenever I hear Tabata or HIIT misused it drives me nuts, so thank you.
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Yes! I love the kettle bells. I have been doing Tabata for a week now and I am starting to lose more inches. I stopped losing after 18 lbs so I needed a switch in my routine and the results are amazing. My next routine that I want to try is the M100 protocol challenges to to do 100 reps of three exercises in under 2 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.