Anyone else a teeth grinder?

Options
Well to start things of I went for my 6 month dental exam to find that I have been grinding my teeth. To the point I have actually cracked a couple. So my dentist sends me to an Endodontist, they do several test on my teeth to make a decision as to whether I need a root canal and crown or just a crown. Well today I am eating lunch and I realize I am having a lot of pain on the tooth (they examined 2) that they said I didn't need a root canal on. I know I am probably crazy but I am really ticked off, I had no pain in either tooth till they started messing with it. So I feel that now they have found away to charge me even more. Luckily my dental insurance rolls over on July 1st, but I still have to pay 50% out of my pocket for each crown (about $600) and each root canal (about $250), that is $1700 out of pocket for 2 teeth! Sorry I suppose I wanted to vent. :grumble:

Replies

• ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    Options
    Well to start things of I went for my 6 month dental exam to find that I have been grinding my teeth. To the point I have actually cracked a couple. So my dentist sends me to an Endodontist, they do several test on my teeth to make a decision as to whether I need a root canal and crown or just a crown. Well today I am eating lunch and I realize I am having a lot of pain on the tooth (they examined 2) that they said I didn't need a root canal on. I know I am probably crazy but I am really ticked off, I had no pain in either tooth till they started messing with it. So I feel that now they have found away to charge me even more. Luckily my dental insurance rolls over on July 1st, but I still have to pay 50% out of my pocket for each crown (about $600) and each root canal (about $250), that is $1700 out of pocket for 2 teeth! Sorry I suppose I wanted to vent. :grumble:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Did they mention getting you fitted for a mouth guard??? I've been wearing one for almost 20 years, can't sleep without it now.
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    My aunt grinds her teeth badly. She has to wear a mouth gaurd (think football mouth piece) at night so she cant grind them
  • ehorner1976
    Options
    Yeah I got one, my dental insurance provides one in a lifetime. I had it for a few days and I must have spit it out in my sleep because when I woke up my dog had it in his mouth :laugh: I think they have some you can just buy at the grocery store I might pick up one of those. If anyone has bought and used one of those let me know.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I want to know what kind of dental insurance you have. My last root canal cost me over $1000.
    I know what you mean by them messing with your teeth. I never had pain until I went to the dentist - but oh, let me tell you, it all went away with the root canal. I think I'm the only person who looks forward to those
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My BF does BAD and just like you he had the same problem in the same way, Went in for a routine thing without any trouble, they said that a couple wher damaged. Went in to fix them NOW he has problems with them.
    If you CAN I almost want to say go to another dentist.
    I am sorry for this...
    BTW My BF also wears a mouth guard at night now. It works but Warnning it DOES tak a bit to get used to it at first.
    --Diann...
  • ehorner1976
    Options
    Wow if my root canal was over $1000 I would flip out. I get $1500 a year towards dental, they pay 70% for the root canal and 50% for the crown. Maybe prices are higher in different areas, that seems really high though. As for seeing another dentist I am really thinking about it. I have just started seeing this one and I wasn't that impressed, but it is such a pain in the butt. But I think I will definately make some calls around town on Monday!!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My sister has terrible, terrible problems with grinding her teeth.

I told her I would do some research on hypnotism and/ or acupuncture to help with her TMJ. She's only 25 and has ground them all down to nothing (and she wears the mouthguard too).

Has anyone been able to take any alternative steps to help with the grinding?
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    This is a sad thing, even with insurance 1700 dollars thats NUTS!!!!! I hope that you can get this done and if u wanna get really angry watch "sicko"!!!!