could get bored of walking

Options
So... my goal every day is to walk at least an hour and a half... Im doing it outdoors, however I want to do other work outs, but have no bike, and have no gym membership. Is there anything I can do thats inexpensive, fun, and gets my heart rate up? I'm on a roll with walking, and have been for the last 4 days, I'm on 4 miles a day, however I'm getting kind of bored with it, and want to try jogging more, but it hurts my shins. :/ heeelp mee.
:) thanks!

Replies

• Tiffenyb2005
    Options
    On Demand workouts are always fun!!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    If jogging on the treadmill makes yours shins hurt you may be getting shin splints. I am no experiences with those, but I have some issues with calf strain while runnning. I increased my stretches and always include a 5 minute walking warm up at the beginning of a run.

Another thing I do to mix things up is to do the workouts offered via my cable OnDemand. They have FitnessTV under the Sports&Fitness section onDemand. I can do just about any kind of workout. It is great. I love the variety and it lets me try something out without have to buy anything. I did end up purchasing the Jillian Michael's 30-Day shred, but I was able to try it for free first. Don't know you cable set up obviously, but I imagine they all have something similar.

Good luck and good job on the 4 miles. That is impressive!
  • CatieCappadona
    Options
    thanks guys! :)
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    The thing I do to mix up my walks is change the route. I have good neighborhoods to walk through that are interesting with some decent hills and such. As silly as it may sound, I also sometimes drive to a different location just to have a new venue. We have some decent paths in various areas around town (including in my neighborhood) that have different challenges to keep them interesting.
  • shannonichole
    Options
    Try looking up exercise videos online. There are some good ones for free. Or try hiking instead of walking!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: do you have an MP3 player or portable CD player or something so you can listen to music on books on tape to entertain you while you walk?
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bring a friend :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Walking is about 80% of my excercise. I don't do it inside a gym on a treadmill, I find those boring. I go outside. I bring friends, listen to podcasts/music/whatever on my Zune. I also do lots of stairs. I been doing it for 1 year. I don't let myself get bored I find ways to keep going and motivated. Do you have a iPhone or Android? I use Cardio Trainer a free app. it records my data. I post it via FB and friends there encourage me and I motivate myself to improve my distance and times. I started very slow. It would take me about 40 mins to do 1 mile. I now can do 3 miles in that same time. I've also started jogging too.