Missing the thrill of victory

Options
ilfaith
ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
So now that I am in maintenance mode, I find that I sometimes miss the sense of victory in stepping on the scale and seeing the number go down. I miss the thumbs up from my MFP friends whenever I record that I've shed half a pound.

I don't need, or want, to lose more weight...in fact I am now looking to build a bit more muscle (even if it means gaining a few pounds)...but I am wondering what sort of NSVs keep you motivated once you reach your goal weight.

Replies

• ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    looking at yourself in the mirror and liking what you see. big time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look fantastic! That in itself should do it! Great job.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Seeing my weight is still in my maintenance range is a victory every day after 20 years of being fat.

Cycling further and faster. Lifting heavier. Playing sports with my 22 year old son (and sometimes winning!).

Not having a painful back.

Feeling good in clothes - or out of clothes. :wink:
    Catching sight of yourself in a mirror or a reflection and thinking - "not bad for an old fart".

Eating more of the foods I enjoy. Fitting in treats without fear of weight gain or guilt.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    looking at yourself in the mirror and liking what you see. big time.

This!
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am loving maintenance - the thrill is everything that ha been mentioned plus stepping on the scales and still being within your maintenance range. Certainly would not change it to return to a weight loss plan again.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet, but I'm a planning kinda person, so I've been thinking of what my new milestones will be in a few weeks. I've spent a lot of time losing the lard, but for me, it's helpful to see the scale weight lost as just one health milestone of many, some of which are as yet unknown to me. Losing the weight for me, is not an end, it's just setting me up for all the great things I'm going to do for my health in the future!

So, here's some things I'm thinking of tracking. I like numbers, so although these don't have number targets attached to them yet, they will do!

- Lift certain weights (x lbs) per major muscle group (Joining my Y and starting to lift weights other than heavy shopping is my "reward" for reaching my weight loss milestone)
    - Keep walking 1 hr a day (or an equivalent depending on exercise)
    - Start indoor rowing again and target x mins/week at a certain resistance, to increase my distance
    - Every 6 months I maintain my weight loss, I'm having a spa day (facial, nails etc.)
    - Get my cholesterol, blood pressure etc within "normal" - they are pretty much there already, but I want to track them anyway

And finally..

- Buy the winter coat of my dreams (and lingerie of my husband's dreams!) for my new un-insulated body!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    start setting strength goals, like benching your bodyweight and whatnot. i find hitting new PR's more motivating then losing more weight, and i still have 20 or so to lose
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    You reached one goal.

Time for a new one.

Sign up for something that challenges you, that makes you a bit scared, something you've always wanted to do but maybe thought you couldn't.

Beat me to it.

I would say the same thing. This happens to a lot of folks (myself included). Goal is hit.....ummm now what? I didnt have a plan in place for after meeting my goals. It made eating Halloween candy and Thankgiving/Holiday pies a lot easier to justify....:laugh:

Time to start thinking about other goals you would like to accomplish, set them, and go after those next. Whatever they may be.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Fitness goals.
    Train for a race.
    Work to lift heavier.
    I play tennis and the more I get out on the court, the better I get and the more I win.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You reached one goal.

Time for a new one.

Sign up for something that challenges you, that makes you a bit scared, something you've always wanted to do but maybe thought you couldn't.

This^

Sounds like adding muscle mass is something you're interested in. That's a worthwhile and challenging goal.

You're going to need to nail your eating and dial in your training. There's a lot you can post on your wall about... and getting "fluffy" can be a psychological challenge when you're bulking. Good support from a good FL will probably help you greatly along the way.

Me personally: I'm trying to increase a particular lift in the mid-long term and improve my sprinting in the shorter term. I only really care about weight gain/loss in the context of achieving those goals.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree, time for a new goal!

If you are serious about gaining muscle, I would strongly suggest a bulk and cut cycle (aka heavy lifting). I think someone in your position would be the perfect candidate!
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Just being happy I haven't gain the weight back on, and knowing i'm successfully maintaining is my thrill of victory, we are the lucky, many ppl never reach their goal weight.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Haven't reached maintenance yet, but just a little over half way there. When I do, I hope to replace my weight loss goals with fitness goals, and of course to maintain my weight. I find it interesting to read these threads, as I would like to be as best prepared for maintenance when it comes around :)

Congrats on reaching this point! :)